continuing health care

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
Hi all ,my mum who has mixed dementia was assessed by the multi disciplinary team of the hospital she has been in for four and a half months for C H C . The recommendation of the team was that she was eligible . However it was presented to the quality assurance panel who felt the evidence of eligibility was not clear and may have been affected by the hospital environment. so they have recommended . ' in order to ensure an appropriate assessment in the right environment they have advised to transfer to a nursing home placement and reassess' This assessment will be carried out 6 weeks following discharge to a nursing home . The health board will fund the the placement until the outcome of the review My mum will be self funding if the decision is rejected . any advice would be gratefully received . The D S T ,Behaviour -high . cognition -severe . psychological and emotional -moderate . communication - high . Mobility -moderate . nutrition -.high .Continence- moderate .skin - moderate . breathing - low . drug therapies and medication - low . Altered state of consciousness - no needs . Has anyone any advice please ?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
My gut feel is that you'll have to monitor your Mum and what the nursing home assessment says very closely and make sure everything is recorded in an absolutely fair and accurate way (intervening and challenging if you have to).

It seems to me that a very small shift in wording alone could be enough to push the result one side of the line or the other.

Good luck!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
In essence your Mum appears to have been awarded CHC with a six month review.

For the reassessment records and evidence will be crucial, challenge anything you regard to be even the slightest bit inaccurate. Also bear in mind that the home will most likely receive considerably less per week when CHC funded that self funded.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
A lot can depend on how the 'four key indicators' are assessed: Nature, Intensity, Complexity, Unpredictability. For example, under Complexity my wife's assessment referred to 'evidence of interrelation and interaction across a majority of the domains' and that she requires review from a number of health care professionals. From the panel's discussion, these seemed to be important conclusions.

The quality and quantity of her needs were also an important factor. apparently.

But generally, if I were in your situation, I think I'd read and re-read the completed Decision Support Tool to identify what seem to be the key factors in your mum's case then try to see how these might be apparent in the new setting, talking to the NH staff about them as much as you are able to.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck to you and your Mum.

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
Thanks both for your replies . Its a complete minefield to me , Nitram .They want to reassess my mum after 6 weeks in a nursing home . Even the nursing home manager has never come across this . The Nursing home are struggling with my mum who is not aggressive but is non compliant with meds ,personal care, eating and anything they want her to do . The home is general nursing not dementia care as this is what they assessed her as needing . I'm not sure she is in the right setting . Does anyone have a a view on this ?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
The home is general nursing not dementia care as this is what they assessed her as needing. I'm not sure she is in the right setting

It seems extraordinary to me that your Mum should be placed in a home where they apparently don't have any staff trained and experienced in nursing dementia sufferers. Apart from anything else, your Mum can't be properly assessed by anyone who doesn't understand her condition and how she is different to or similar to other people with dementia.