Continuing health care

Cariad71

Oct 14, 2019
Hello all, please can someone tell me, if my loved one is granted CHC and they’re in a nursing home, does their pension get taken off them? Thanks

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
Hello all, please can someone tell me, if my loved one is granted CHC and they’re in a nursing home, does their pension get taken off them? Thanks
In my experience mum was granted fast track CHC and didn’t have to contribute her pension , however at the review which is tough and thorough full funding was withdrawn . They agreed on FNC contribution and then mums pension plus LA funding . Hope this helps , mum was not self funding prior to being moved from CH to NH .

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
When CHC is granted pension is not forfeited, however some other benefits eg AA are.

CHC is analogous to being in hospital and the same rules apply.

Cariad71

Oct 14, 2019
Thank you both! Basically my mother in law is in residential care but the DST meeting said she needs nursing care. This was last Tuesday so it hadn’t got to panel. She is currently unwell and awaiting testing for Covid?. So I asked them to smfast track the application for ChC. They have granted it outside of panel! Good news. Now I need to get her pension back as my father in law is struggling to pay the upkeep on the house . Thanks again both

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
There is not a panel once a fast track application has been signed, beware the review, quite often at 3 months but can be earlier.

Sparx

Mar 22, 2020
When CHC is granted pension is not forfeited, however some other benefits eg AA are.

CHC is analogous to being in hospital and the same rules apply.
Hi nitram..I’m not quite up to understanding what CHC or AA stands for ?
My elderly Mother forfeits her State Pension plus a payment from her small savings account every month for placement in a C/Home run by the local borough council for Dementia suffers.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
CHC is continuing health care.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/help-dementia-care/nhs-continuing-healthcare .

AA is attendance allowance
https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance .

If the borough council is paying her care home fees she will loose her pension.
With CHC it is the NHS that is paying and rules for a hospital stay where the NHS pays apply.

There is an explanation of abbreviations commonly used on these forums.
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/abbreviations-list-and-dementia-talking-point-jargon.26388/ .

Sparx

Mar 22, 2020
Had another read of this thread and I can guess what those abbreviations are now.

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
There is not a panel once a fast track application has been signed, beware the review, quite often at 3 months but can be earlier.
Agreed the review was slightly earlier then we expected and it became quite clear that we were fighting a losing battle to keep CHC . Mum had not improved at all and was the same as when they said fast track ...... basically she’s survived for three months and not got worse so it was deemed that she was not going to get worse . Totally bedridden zero limb movement, food and liquids all require hands on feeding , pain relief required continuously !! The review process is tough .