Continuing Health Care

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
can someone clarify what continuing health care involves. My husband has been in a care home for the last year. It is a dual care/ nursing home. Until 3 weeks ago he was in the residential dementia unit. Then he was admitted to hospital after suffering seizures and pneumonia. While he was in hospital his medical team decided he should be discharged to the nursing part of the home as continuing health care. We pay part fees ourselves with help from adult social care paying the rest. I’m not sure how the continuing health care works. Do the nhs take over full funding or do we continue paying our part as usual with the nhs paying the nursing element? He was only discharged yesterday and is now in the nursing unit. But when I asked I just get vague answers.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi @Diannie we recently had fast track CHC funding applied for by Marie Curie nurse so that mum (LA funded) could be discharged from hospital into a NH. My understanding was that CHC covers both the nursing & care / accommodation costs. I assumed it mean't the whole cost but having read through one of the NH contracts I noticed it referred to additional payment from the resident if there was a shortfall in the CHC funding. At the time I didn't know if this applied to our circumstances ( EOL) but we never got to find out.
Hopefully someone else will post who can clarify things for you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It depends on whether you are getting the full CHC or just the Funded Nursing Care portion. If you are just getting FNC then you may not notice much difference as the FNC is frequently paid directly to the nursing home.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
It depends on whether you are getting the full CHC or just the Funded Nursing Care portion. If you are just getting FNC then you may not notice much difference as the FNC is frequently paid directly to the nursing home.
Thank you Moggymad and Canary. I’m not sure which we have either. It’s trying to get a straight answer from them. I don’t know if I am supposed to contact Adult Social Care to inform them or whether the NHS assessor would tell them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95