Continuing health care

Traceynew

Jan 4, 2015
Northampton
Hi.... I am just looking for some advice on CHC. I have had a telephone appointment with the CHC and they think my mum has a strong case. However to represent me and mum they require £1500..00 and if they represent us at meetings it is £90 an hour including travelling time. My mum is in later stages of dementia. She can not do anything for herself at all. She sits in the chair all day and can’t weight bare. She has to be Feed gets agitated a lot. And has been in the home for three years!! I am not sure if to go ahead with this as I am quite confused. As anyone got any advise as if it’s worth pursing. Thanks very much. tracey

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont know who you have had a telephone conversation with, but Im pretty sure it wont be the CHC, because that is not how they work.
How did they come to contact you?
I would be deeply suspicious of this.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
This is outrageous and a scam. How dreadful that some company is trying to make money out of people needing CHC. This is definitely NOT the CHC. Stay well away. In fact I would contact the CHC or a social worker to point out that someone has contacted you because if you are in a position to be claiming CHC it sounds like someone has leaked your phone number and that you are claiming.

Traceynew

Jan 4, 2015
Northampton
I dont know who you have had a telephone conversation with, but Im pretty sure it wont be the CHC, because that is not how they work.
How did they come to contact you?
I would be deeply suspicious of this.
This is outrageous and a scam. How dreadful that some company is trying to make money out of people needing CHC. This is definitely NOT the CHC. Stay well away. In fact I would contact the CHC or a social worker to point out that someone has contacted you because if you are in a position to be claiming CHC it sounds like someone has leaked your phone number and that you are claiming.
I agree. This is a scam. These people are trying to steal your money. Report them and don't speak to them again.
I agree. This is a scam. These people are trying to steal your money. Report them and don't speak to them again.
Thanks for your replies.... I watched the Tv programme on dementia tax a few months a ago and googled CHC which took me to a site to complete a questioner about a week later they phoned me and made a telephone appointment for a couple of hours to do an assessment on my mum... which he emailed me the report, but to go any further they want £1500..00. They are a company based in Bristol and all there emails have CHC on them.
Does anyone know how to contact the CHC. Thanks agsin

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Anyone can put CHC on their stationery. It stands for Continuing Healthcare and isn't an organisation. You mean the CCG - the Clinical Commissioning Group. Unless it's not a site ending in nhs.uk, it's not them. Sorry but you've been had by one of those companies that charge people a lot of money for not doing much, like with those PPI companies. If you knew how difficult and rare it is to actually get awarded CHC you would see it for the money spinner it is.

https://caretobedifferent.co.uk/nhs-continuing-healthcare-faqs/

Actually, everyone who is assessed for nursing care is automatically assessed for CHC via the Decision Support Tool, where the person is assessed in 12 categories.

Last edited:

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
tracey where is your mother at the moment? Is she in a care home, her home, your home, hospital or what? Also if in a care home what type it is? if we know this it might help us direct you to the best approach for the continuing health funding.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There's a long running thread on here about CHC, there's a link to it below, it's sobering reading .
My wife is the same "She can not do anything for herself at all. She sits in the chair all day and can’t weight bare. She has to be Feed gets agitated a lot" she's also incontinent, has been classed as a serious fall risk (if she could get out of the chair) as well as shouting all the time and she's a whole lot better than some of the other residents.
I asked the home manager about CHC and she told me they don't bother to apply any more, I asked "not even for Mrs X", she said "no, if we get it it'll only be for 3 months, but we will support families who apply". Well Mrs X is on a drip sometimes, feed through a tube and is just a lump under a duvet I see if the door to her room is opened, so not in the best of health.
Despite what other people have said on here adverting to help people get CHC isn't any different to advertising to get people their PPI back or "where there's a blame there's a claim", if you can offer professional assistance to someone who can do it for themselves isn't a scam it's a perfectly reasonable service to offer people, same as offering to set up a lasting lower of attorney, most solicitors charge a fortune to fill in a simple form but that's no a scam.
The CCG do give out CHC and maybe fronted by a professional firm who know the rules they might give in easier when all the processes have to be followed, every piece of paperwork is scrutinised and challenged by their team and just give it to you to make you go away, but. at the 3 month review the CQC can withdraw the CHC and you have to go through the whole process again. You figure out who get's rich out of that.
Read the stories on the link below and see what you think your chances of getting CHC are.
As Beate says you can't be speaking to the CHC that's not an organisation and I doubt the CCG would speak to you too much and very much doubt they'd give any sort of opinion given the whole process of applying for CHC, normally it has to be done on paper.
I don't think it's a scam, it is probably a perfectly legal business but you may well be being exploited as any award made when you use this business can be withdrawn later meaning more business for them.
K

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/chc-continuing-healthcare-support-thread.86059/

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Money money money!
I get so made when I’m continually reading about getting CHC.
All the money spent on nhs health care for other things but dementia / Alzheimer’s is a money spinner!
Just who is fighting this corner, government ? Alzheimer’s society? Surely there’s something we can all do about this rather than threats of losing homes and savings etc, it’s disgusting, everybody should boycott paying and see what happens, nhs pays for absolutely everything, can you think of anything else or condition that is self funding?
It’s been a money spinner from the start and everybody should be united in stopping this !
Everybody go to your mp’s and fight it please

Traceynew

Jan 4, 2015
Northampton
Thanks for your reply..... my mum is currently in a care home and has been for three years and there are only a few residents including my mum that are self funding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Money money money!
I get so made when I’m continually reading about getting CHC.
All the money spent on nhs health care for other things but dementia / Alzheimer’s is a money spinner!
Just who is fighting this corner, government ? Alzheimer’s society? Surely there’s something we can all do about this rather than threats of losing homes and savings etc, it’s disgusting, everybody should boycott paying and see what happens, nhs pays for absolutely everything, can you think of anything else or condition that is self funding?
It’s been a money spinner from the start and everybody should be united in stopping this !
Everybody go to your mp’s and fight it please

I share your frustration but would mention that self-funding for anything that is classed as ‘social care’ is the norm for many other illnesses and has been since the NHS was founded. So if you have, for example, motor neurone disease or multiple sclerosis you can find yourself in the same boat. However, as we all live longer and more people suffer from dementia there is no doubt that they make up by far the largest group of people affected.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
it is a company called removed homes and there are only a few residents including my mum that are self funding.

The company you mention is a LATCO (Local Authority Trading Company) set up last April and taking over services previously supplied by the County Council. This, unlike services they provide, allows the Council to make a profit albeit subject to unfair competition laws.

If your mum is one of a few self funding residents with many others LA assisted and they try to balance the books on individual homes you may have to fight a large fee increase next April.

ossettbob

Jan 26, 2017
Nearly impossible to get CHC. I said in another post that my SIL was assessed on 7 December. Was bed-ridden, had to be fed & given little drinks, had to be hoisted to be washed, couldn`t communicate & was doubly incontinent. The assessor said she would be awarded FNC but not CHC. My wife & I objected & I asked about fast track. However, the assessor said she wasn`t ill enough. Sadly, she passed away yesterday. The complete system is flawed. From what money is left after the home charging £1000 a week, we still have to pay for another 2 weeks. If relative has any money or house, forget about CHC !!

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Hi Ossettbob
So sorry to hear this, hope your ok and not to angry, this just goes to show how poorly she was and urgent free care should of been granted .
Things have to change soon don’t they I’m glad she is now free from pain and hopefully you are now free to get on with your life x

KirstiePee

Jan 4, 2018
My Dad has been awarded CHC funding. What happens to his pension and what happens to my mums money. They don't own their home, Mum is in receipt of benefits and has little savings. She is worried she will have to pay full rent and council tax

KirstiePee

Jan 4, 2018
Nearly impossible to get CHC. I said in another post that my SIL was assessed on 7 December. Was bed-ridden, had to be fed & given little drinks, had to be hoisted to be washed, couldn`t communicate & was doubly incontinent. The assessor said she would be awarded FNC but not CHC. My wife & I objected & I asked about fast track. However, the assessor said she wasn`t ill enough. Sadly, she passed away yesterday. The complete system is flawed. From what money is left after the home charging £1000 a week, we still have to pay for another 2 weeks. If relative has any money or house, forget about CHC !!
Sorry to hear your sad news. I struggled to get funding for my Dad, I finally managed this by obtaining information from the care to be different website and Coughlin's law.

KirstiePee

Jan 4, 2018
Hi.... I am just looking for some advice on CHC. I have had a telephone appointment with the CHC and they think my mum has a strong case. However to represent me and mum they require £1500..00 and if they represent us at meetings it is £90 an hour including travelling time. My mum is in later stages of dementia. She can not do anything for herself at all. She sits in the chair all day and can’t weight bare. She has to be Feed gets agitated a lot. And has been in the home for three years!! I am not sure if to go ahead with this as I am quite confused. As anyone got any advise as if it’s worth pursing. Thanks very much. tracey
Sounds like a scam. CHC assessments are done by the CCG there is no charge. Look at care to be different website

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My Dad has been awarded CHC funding. What happens to his pension and what happens to my mums money. They don't own their home, Mum is in receipt of benefits and has little savings. She is worried she will have to pay full rent and council tax

He keeps his pension but as a general rule looses other benefits after 28 day.
CHC is broadly analogous with a hospital stay, have a look through
http://www.uhnm.nhs.uk/patientsandv...uments/110204 Going into Hospital DWP1029.pdf
(If he has been granted CHC in a domestic environment things are different, the main one being he keeps his AA and CA is also possible.)

For information on what help your Mum can get you are best arranging an appointment with CAB or AgeUK