continuing care to apply or not

timthumb

Dec 6, 2009
west sussex
hi
is there any advantage or disadvantage in applying for continuing care if you believe that my dad probably wouldnt receive it if you look at the assessment tool ..but no way could he either live on his own or carers daily would leave him in a safe environment

any thoughts would be welcomed
:)
tim

Flower_fairy

Jan 22, 2010
Lancashire
Hi,
I am not sure if you are getting continuing care confused with something else? Continuing care is when care is fully funded by the health service as someone has such complex needs. This is not how every person in a care home or receiving home care is funded. If your Dad can no longer be looked after safely in his own home and needs to either go into full time care or have a robust package of home care in place then this would either be funded by himself (should he have enough savings) or by the Local Authority (social services). This would need to be put to a funding panel and a financial assessment of your Dads savings would be done to determine how much, if anything he would pay towards his care.

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scrip...categoryID=200203&documentID=399&pageNumber=1

If you want to read more about CHC then please see the link above. I suggest if you feel your Dad needs to go into 24 hour care to contact the GP and they will start the ball rolling with a referal to a social worker.

xx

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Tim

You seem to be asking two separate questions.

To take the second question first.

You say “but no way could he either live on his own or carers daily would leave him in a safe environment”

I believe you are looking after dad all day. I just wondered if you are already getting all the help from Social Services that you should be ?
Has your dad had an assessment to determine what sort of a Care Package he could receive at home from Social Services ?
Have you yourself had a Carer’s Assessment ?
Do you have any Carers popping in to give you “respite” ?

Regarding your first query where you ask “ is there any advantage or disadvantage in applying for continuing care if you believe that my dad probably wouldnt receive it if you look at the assessment tool”.

If it is absolutely clear that your dad would not be accepted then there would be no purpose, however if there is any doubt what so ever I think you should always ask for an assessment. The professionals can sometimes have completely different opinions to we ordinary folk. Have you discussed applying for NHS Continuing Care with Social Services ?

Best wishes

Clive

timthumb

Dec 6, 2009
west sussex
its early days with it all and i gt confused with all the bits and pieces..........dad at the moment is under the care of an intermediate care team..........no i have not had a carers assessment. no social services have not given me a formal written assessment......the ict is really at its initial stages so i expect more info from them if i can ask the right questions
tim

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Tim

Join the club. I found the whole business of getting Care set up both confusing and annoying.

There are many others on TP who have better understanding of how the system works than I have so keep posting your questions.

When I was in your situation trying to deal with the professionals I found it most useful to:

1. type out my questions on the computer as I thought of them, and then print them out on a piece of paper, leaving a space between each question so I could write down the answer at the next meeting.

This was the only way I could remember all the questions I wanted to ask, and also remember the answers when the person had gone.

2. Before I started typing out the real questions I always type the word NAME (and DATE) at the top of the page. Then my first question was always “What is your name please” which I wrote down.

I found it helped later to be able to say, “Jane Smith told me…” or “can I speak to Jane Smith who said she would ring me back”.

I found this method helped me.

Best wishes

Clive

timthumb

Dec 6, 2009
west sussex
hi clive as you know i couldnt even delete a draft blog :)..still that is good advice................im at the local alz soc carers meeting wednesday.im really looking forward to it
tim

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Tim
I hope you enjoy your meeting I just came back from one a couple of hours ago. I always enjoy the meetings. Today the speaker had to cancel so we just had a social but that was actually very benefiting to everybody as we got to know each other properly which we don't usually have time for and could help each other with several questions like yours. You will some newer than you and some much further down the line with more experience. Also the chair lady will be able to help you about support and benefits and much more.
Take care

timthumb

Dec 6, 2009
west sussex
really sounds good .its a whole new world............makes it all the more bearable...maybe i will post when i have been
tim