continuing care - the first step?

Suzanna

Dec 5, 2007
Manchester/London
hi all, hope today is being one of the better ones for you all....

just a quick question - have just read Barbara Pointons notes on her fight for CC. It was very useful, and apart from not having seizures, my mum seems to fit all the other criteria of her husband. However, i'm still unsure as to what the first step is to applying for this NHS funding.... anyone know?
i would ask our CPN- but hey- she retired and hasn't been replaced! lol. god, you got to laugh no?

Suzanna

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Sorry Suzanna..cant help...but fitting the criteria will not always get the funding....be prepared for a fight!
Love Helen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
omeone Email me this

it's very important from the offset for you to

[1] demand the Primary Health Need assessment is carried out , ring your local PCT

[2] challenge it if you think they have not done this correctly according to your Mother's HEALTH NEEDS, and the subsequent care needs caused by her health needs

[3] do not sign or divulge anything to do with your Mother's financial situation to the social services. If you feel you can't do this then perhaps one of our legal members can help you there.

dab1630

Feb 23, 2007
Kent
My wife was recently allocated a new care manager who completely reviewed all our situation, and as a result has applied for continuing care. Like everything else, it appears you have to be lucky enough to stumble on someone who actually cares enough to do something.

We waited 3 years for this kind of help, and I am sure there are plenty of people out there who have waited longer without our success.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hello Suzanna,
My husband went into C.H. on the E.M.I. Unit 13 months ago and to start off I was paying top up fees.
The C.H. contacted the Mental Health Team and a very nice lady came out to see my husband. So with the C.H. report and her's, Peter was granted Continuing Health Care.
When informed by the Mental Health Team of their decision, I was informed had the S.W. put in the correct paperwork on Peter's admission to C.H. I would not have to had paid any top up fees.
There is now an enquiry going on so that I can have a refund of what I had paid.
Wishing you the best
Christine

Susi T

Jan 12, 2007
Leamington Spa
Hi Suzanna,

Dad was refused Continuing Healthcare in January, I have appealed against the decision, I think it is a bit of a lottery as to what area you live in!!!

If Dad is refused this time I will probably not go any further, it is emotionally and mentally draining!!!

The Assessment Hospital where Dad is recommended we put Dad's case to Continuimg Healthcare Panel, although they did say at the time that nothing was guaranteed!!

All the best
Sue

Suzanna

Dec 5, 2007
Manchester/London
thanks for all the support...

Cheers everyone,

it really does seem like a postcode lottery - was the new national framework not meant to result in consistancy across PCT's?? i just pray to God/Fate that we are in an area that considers the impact of this condition on mental health as well as the physical side, and that they consider mental health as HEALTH care. I personally cannot see how it could not be... ??

Not sure what will happen if we don't qualify, as the level of support at the moment (part ILF part SS) won't be enough for my Dad to keep Mum at home for much longer. How crazy is it, that the government claims to want to have people cared for at home where possible but has the system set up in favour or institutional care. grrrr.

My Dad already has the local MP on board, which might help, but i'm not sure we can afford legal assistance - which it seems we might need in order to go through this process??

here goes...

Suzanna

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
it really does seem like a postcode lottery - was the new national framework not meant to result in consistancy across PCT's??

Read this , stroll down find the place where you live and your see how many people get it in your area

CAUGHT IN THE BIG
NHS CONTINUING CARE LOTTERY
The revelation that people living in one area of the country may have a 160 times
better chance than those in another area of obtaining full NHS funding for their
continuing care costs was described today as a ‘mind-blowing indictment of the
system’ by the Registered Nursing Home Association (RNHA).

http://www.rnha.co.uk/web_images/news/News Release on Continuing Care Rates - National.pdf

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
that's really interesting information. It looks like Harrow is the place to live! Mum's PCT is right in the middle of that table.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
yes your right it is interesting. it does make me wonder why that happens, Just seem so unfair.

Mum's PCT is right in the middle of that table

Has your mum got a spare room for me mum :D we moving down there ( only Joking )

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Suzanna,

You might want to take a look at this recent thread where jack29 reported on her dad's assessment score:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=11092

As you can see, the assessment tool looks at 11 areas of need (called 'domains').

There is a really detailed document (PDF format) on the Department of Health website which explains the process:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_076288

The relevant page showing the assement tool chart is on page 19. For those who don't have the PDF reader or who can't download such a large document, I attach that page as an image to give some idea of what's involved.

Take care,

Sandy

Attachments

• continuing_care_tool.jpg
    continuing_care_tool.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 349

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Post Code Lottery makes me mad

There should be equal treatment for all and an end of post code lottery.
What would these people of Goverment do if one of their loved ones could not get the treatment ?
Probably a u turn.
Sorry everyone but I do feel for those who cannot get either the treatment or the drugs because of these stupid system.
Christine

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I'm involved with an application for Continuing Care funding for someone else at present. This person has terminal cancer plus early dementia.

We didn't have to ask for Continuing Care assessment - we were invited to a meeting to discuss and assess.

The assessment meeting agreed that he met all the criteria, yet still said he might not get it. :confused:

Our family - and the person, who is 86 - wish him to spend his last months at home, as being in hospital is only hastening both conditions, and making his remaining time a misery.

The assessment team has said that won't be possible as they can't provide care overnight.

We're still working on that - by the time they decide, it may not be relevant anyway.

This is happening in South Wales.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
The assessment meeting agreed that he met all the criteria, yet still said he might not get it

People that have been turn down , go on to apply complain to the
Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman , ,

I have seem a Email , that someone have sent me , in how what they say when they appeal (sp ) against it, with the help of the Ombudsman then went on to get it, even thought it took them 6 years , while with other people when they apply complain it does not take that long , because when that lady ask for it 6 years ago they was not so much support in how to complain also, Understanding the different of health care needs & Care needs when it come to people with Dementia

Someone with Cancer sadly may not have the time , but someone with dementia has .

so if the assessment team has said the person meet the criteria , but still may not get it , that sounds very negative of them to have said that, May be just to put you of .

Because then all you do is go to the Ombudman http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/make_a_complaint/health/guide_to_make_a_complaint.html. But sadly time not on they hands like it is with someone with dementia.

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
doesn't get continuing care despite being immobile, doubly incontinent and confined to bed now

Did you apply complain against It got turn down ?.

Or Just did not have the energy to apply ?

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Did you apply complain against It got turn down ?.

Or Just did not have the energy to apply ?

The second one! You need time as well as energy and I have neither!

The PCT are due to do another assessment next week but I would be surprised if anything changed.