continuing care fees and costs

katek

Jan 19, 2015
Wirralson

I don't think anyone is suggesting 'expansion of the NHS into what is presently social care', as you say. It is simply that they should fulfil their side of the shared responsibility with social services as in the 1948 Act, rather than illegally shunting some of their costs onto the latter/the individual.

As Fr0d0 rightly says

. As it stands in law now, the NHS is acting contrary to the law with its guidelines on CHC funding. Lawyers say so./QUOTE]

I particularly agree with what Luke Clements QC has to say on how the NHS use the DST in such a way as to deny patients the free care they should get, and wonder if you would disagree with him.

katek

Jan 19, 2015
Care homes do not vary hugely. It is not as if state subsidised patients have to go to some sort of 'workhouse' while self-funders are in 5-star hotel luxury.

Wirralson

I meant what I have now bolded, and in a reply to Chemmy who seemed to suggest that by self-funding you would always get a much better deal than those who are LA funded, which is not necessarily so. I didn't want people reading this about to go into a home through LA funding to think that they would necessarily be getting a raw deal. I also made the point, which you have not quoted, that rather than going to separate, 'inferior' homes, LA funded patients do actually go to the same homes as self-funders, and receive the same treatment. The whole post was about the relative advantages of self-funding versus being LA funded. And while the former may have that bit more choice, it is still only limited to what is available at the time. There are usually waiting lists anyway.

I also wrote a subsequent post saying that homes do vary in the way that you say(we looked at many), with more expensive ones not always 'better'. For example the food in the home where my sister was was excellent, and actually much better than that in some more expensive homes, although, sadly, she eventually became PEG fed. It is a question of finding the right home for the person involved.

katek

Jan 19, 2015
While I agree with your assertion about price and quality I cannot agree totally that care homes do not differ hugely. I wouldd defy you to visit the range of homes I visited when my mother was going into care and not say how some differed hugely in almost every aspect, including price, staff attitude, cleanliness, condition, atmosphere, spaciousness, food..... We may have different definitions of "hugely" but I think most would find them significant.

W

Incidentally, these differences, however large or small, are bound to exist to an extent, just as they do in life anyway such as when looking for say, a school or a property. You are unlikely to be able to get everything you want in one place, so have to weigh up the pros and cons for your individual needs.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
While I agree with your assertion about price and quality I cannot agree totally that care homes do not differ hugely. I wouldd defy you to visit the range of homes I visited when my mother was going into care and not say how some differed hugely in almost every aspect, including price, staff attitude, cleanliness, condition, atmosphere, spaciousness, food..... We may have different definitions of "hugely" but I think most would find them significant.

W

Yes W I agree. Until my Husband received CHC he was self funding. I looked at some homes which, although quite nice, I was concerned about the Carer/resident ratio. I felt the 'plush' surroundings were more important than the care on offer. Ok, so my Husband couldn't engage in a social events/activities, but where was the care when there wasn't enough staff to comfort someone in distress. Some of the CH's had all singing, all dancing homes but little interaction for those who needed it. They were too large and understaffed. The CH I chose for my Husband only had 15 residents but was homely-if a little shabby round the edges. Staff members had been there for up to 25 years-so constant experience/care was always available. Yes, there were self funded (as my OH was) and LA funded. It was so much nicer than some of the CH's Pete's SW asked me to look at.

To be quite honest some of the CH's I wouldn't let my dogs stay in:eek:And they had both LA and self funders living there.

katek

Jan 19, 2015
Yes W I agree. Until my Husband received CHC he was self funding. I looked at some homes which, although quite nice, I was concerned about the Carer/resident ratio. I felt the 'plush' surroundings were more important than the care on offer. Ok, so my Husband couldn't engage in a social events/activities, but where was the care when there wasn't enough staff to comfort someone in distress. Some of the CH's had all singing, all dancing homes but little interaction for those who needed it. They were too large and understaffed. The CH I chose for my Husband only had 15 residents but was homely-if a little shabby round the edges. Staff members had been there for up to 25 years-so constant experience/care was always available. Yes, there were self funded (as my OH was) and LA funded. It was so much nicer than some of the CH's Pete's SW asked me to look at.

To be quite honest some of the CH's I wouldn't let my dogs stay in:eek:And they had both LA and self funders living there.

The point I was trying to make was that whatever differences do exist are not actually polarised into the 'worst' homes for LA funders and the 'best' homes for self-funders. In fact Chemmy's opinion in a separate post was actually that the care itself probably doesn't vary that much, wherever you are. All homes are inspected and if any are as bad as you say (which incidentally you say had both LA and self funders living there!) they should be reported to the CQC who can close them down if they don't meet the standard.

In what way were they so bad, Lyn?

katek

Jan 19, 2015

To respond more to the point you make about staffing levels in care homes, this will always be an issue as staff are a care home's biggest outgoing. Unfortunately, a significant increase in staff would mean a significant increase in the already high fees, which would be beyond the purses of many people, and definitely beyond that of LAs.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
In fact Chemmy's opinion in a separate post was actually that the care itself probably doesn't vary that much, wherever you are.

I think you were referring to post #65 and have misinterpreted what I said

The person in need of the care usually has little need of their assets as such by this stage. I doubt that there is much difference in the care they receive if they are self funding, LA or CHC funded,and that is as it should be.

ie. If they are already in a CH, then the level of care they will receive whilst in that particular home is likely to be according to their needs, regardless of how it is paid for.

No offence taken but I would prefer it if you didn't offer an interpretation of my opinion, please, as I certainly don't think
that the care itself probably doesn't vary that much, wherever you are.

Far from it.

katek

Jan 19, 2015
Chemmy

Sorry if I misinterpreted that, but still not entirely clear. When you say that care does vary significantly from home to home, do you think it is linked to fees? Our original discussion was about whether self-funding was preferable to LA funding, and given that any restrictions on choice imposed by LAs would be financial, this would only be a disadvantage if the 'better' care were only available at the more expensive homes.

There can be a financial link in terms of staff numbers. In fact, I have since put up a post about staff ratios, saying that a higher number of staff will always cause fees to be higher. However, while a higher number is generally a good thing, it is not the only factor which would make the overall care 'good' as that is something difficult to quantify. There might be more carers but they might not be very kind!

Coming back to the issue of choice (as that is where you thought it to be an advantage to be self-funding) when you look round a care home, it is not always easy to assess how 'good' the actual care is, as a lot of it obviously has to take place in private.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Coming back to the issue of choice (as that is where you thought it to be an advantage to be self-funding) when you look round a care home, it is not always easy to assess how 'good' the actual care is, as a lot of it obviously has to take place in private.

I completely agree that the kindness of the care staff is the main factor in good quality residential care, regardless of the price paid, the facilities or the decor. I have no experience of nursing care for mum or MIL, so can't comment on that.

In terms of choice, self funding means that if I was concerned about the care my relatives were receiving, I would have the choice of finding somewhere else relatively easily and swiftly, without having to jump through social services hoops.

I understand that there were/are probably residents in mums and my MILs CHs who were funded by the LA: lucky them. I have no gripes with that either, and I never made any attempt to find out who they were. It was none of my business.

My point is that both my mum and MIL entered the CH of their choice at the time of their choice. No financial assessment, no pleading the case with the social worker. Some visits to assess the various homes, a phone call to book a place when the time seemed right and an assessment by the manager to make sure they could cope...and that was it.

Compared to the anguish we read about daily from carers on TP, it was a doddle. Of course, choosing a CH for a relative is never going to be easy, but it's a lot less stressful when you're in control and not at the mercy of the decisions of others.

Going back to the inheritance connection - if you genuinely can accept early on that it is your relatives money to be used for their care and that you may or may not in time receive some part of it after their death, then you may be spared the bitterness that some clearly feel over the unfairness over the system. As Ive tried to say before, the relative in the CH concerned generally has no need for the assets by that stage - the potential beneficiaries in a will are those who will be negatively affected and, imo, it's not their money anyway.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
As Ive tried to say before, the relative in the CH concerned generally has no need for the assets by that stage...........
But surely that person should still have the right to say what happens to their assets?

the potential beneficiaries in a will are those who will be negatively affected and, imo, it's not their money anyway.
No its not and neither is it that of the state to use to fill in for a lack of funding for those who have Health needs.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I have to agree with everything, everything you say Chemmy.

Me too Chemmy-well said.

The question of inheritance often comes up on TP; sons/daughters concerned about what they wont get:eek: In my opinion these people are doing their elderly relatives a dis-service by trying to hang on to what isn't theirs. Life is so much easier if self funding-even then it can be difficult. So much better to acknowledge that the funds their parents worked for should be spent on them when they need it. I like my daughter's attitude which is, MY money should be spent on ME. She's told me she expects nothing from me but a Mother's love-and she's got that in spades.

Katek-some of the CH's were tremendously understaffed-1 carer to 10 residents:eek: I needed help from Pete's SW in finding a CH for him as so few would take him due to his presentation. I was led a merry dance; one care home had a distressed lady in the entrance hall wanting to leave-no care staff approached her to ease her distress-that would have been my Husband if he had been placed there; distressed and crying all the time. At another one I could hear a lady being mocked as she was agitated on being hoisted-I was told she was always like that. Did that mean she was mocked every time? Where was the dignity in ridicule? Eventually Pete had to be hoisted every time and yes he was violent. No mocking at his CH-just quiet reassurance. At Pete's CH there was 1 carer to 3 residents. They had time and they showed love.

I take your point about fees going up if there are more staff-well Pete's home managed at a very reasonable rate. Ok so there was less choice at mealtimes, and maybe the linen was a bit shabby, and the rooms a tad on the small side but the house was clean and had a lovely atmosphere with staff who supported each other.

Pete's MH Consultant was so pleased I had secured him a place in that particular home; she told me it was one of only two homes in the area that she would accept a relative of hers going to.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I like my daughter's attitude which is, MY money should be spent on ME. She's told me she expects nothing from me but a Mother's love-and she's got that in spades.
I believe that is a great attitude and is a choice you have made on where your assets should go.:)

But what about someone who has saved their money with the intentions of it being spent on things other than themselves?

What about someone that deliberately missed out in their earlier life to be able to pay for a Grandchild's university fees or for a deposit on a child's house? Or for anything else at all........

They get NO choice whatsoever.:(

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I believe that is a great attitude and is a choice you have made on where your assets should go.:)

But what about someone who has saved their money with the intentions of it being spent on things other than themselves?

What about someone that deliberately missed out in their earlier life to be able to pay for a Grandchild's university fees or for a deposit on a child's house? Or for anything else at all........

Give it away well in advance if you don't need it. We cant take it with us after all. You have that choice.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire

Like Lyn my son has said our money should be used for our comfort and he has no wish to inherit.

Pete R. - if someone has gone without earlier in their life to fund a grandchild or help with the purchase of a home for a child then surely that grandchild and child has already benefited from funds of the donor and should expect no more. There comes a time when we should all be responsible for ourselves and not expect an inheritance.

As we all know on this forum you cannot predict the future, our life was very rosy 11 years ago, looking forward to the retirement we planned. At 62 my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and that retirement has not happened. I spend my retirement visiting him daily in a nursing home. Plans are plans, no guarantee they will take place. Same goes for inheritance, we plan but cannot guarantee and offspring should understand that.

My husband is now in a nursing home and unfortunately is way beyond needing his money, he does not even know what money is. He is benefiting from his savings, he has a specially made chair that makes his time out of bed very comfortable and meets all his needs regarding skin breakdown and form. I will continue to spend his funds on what he needs until every penny has gone if that is necessary. It is money that would come to me but like our son I don't want it.

I would be devastated if I thought our children were scrutinising every penny we spent as it is their inheritance.

katek

Jan 19, 2015
I completely agree that the kindness of the care staff is the main factor in good quality residential care, regardless of the price paid, the facilities or the decor. I have no experience of nursing care for mum or MIL, so can't comment on that.

In terms of choice, self funding means that if I was concerned about the care my relatives were receiving, I would have the choice of finding somewhere else relatively easily and swiftly, without having to jump through social services hoops.

I understand that there were/are probably residents in mums and my MILs CHs who were funded by the LA: lucky them. I have no gripes with that either, and I never made any attempt to find out who they were. It was none of my business.

My point is that both my mum and MIL entered the CH of their choice at the time of their choice. No financial assessment, no pleading the case with the social worker. Some visits to assess the various homes, a phone call to book a place when the time seemed right and an assessment by the manager to make sure they could cope...and that was it.

Compared to the anguish we read about daily from carers on TP, it was a doddle. Of course, choosing a CH for a relative is never going to be easy, but it's a lot less stressful when you're in control and not at the mercy of the decisions of others.

Going back to the inheritance connection - if you genuinely can accept early on that it is your relatives money to be used for their care and that you may or may not in time receive some part of it after their death, then you may be spared the bitterness that some clearly feel over the unfairness over the system. As Ive tried to say before, the relative in the CH concerned generally has no need for the assets by that stage - the potential beneficiaries in a will are those who will be negatively affected and, imo, it's not their money anyway.

Chemmy

I have bolded something which confirms what I had been wondering during the course of our discussions - and that is our disagreements are largely because we are basing our arguments on different things!

If as you say, you are only talking about residential homes, then I am in complete agreement with you! People who need this level of care would legitimately fall under social services remit and could be charged for their care. I think the ADASS guidelines say the upper level of their responsibility would be around 2 'highs' and 3 'moderates' if measured on the DST. I would have no problem at all about paying in that case as it is lawful.

And in that case, I also agree that self-funding does give you a greater autonomy without having to involve social services. My limited experience of them is enough to know that not needing to go through them would be advantageous. It would also give you a greater choice of home (although we have all agreed that more expensive does not always = 'better'). And at this level of illness one also has some sort of choice whether to go into care or not in the first place. It is at a stage where it is not impossible to deal with at home.

I, on the other hand, have been talking from my own relatives' experience (one with AD, one with MS with cognitive decline). They were both told that care at home with support was not possible, and that the only option was a nursing home. However, at the same time they did not meet the very high qualifying bar that the NHS use for CHC (contrary to the Coughlan judgement). They then, like many others, were in a position of having to pay for what is essentially NHS level care - way above social services remit. This is where the self-funder loses out as they are illegally forced to pay. And I agree with Pete in respect of inheritance in this case.

Can I just say something on the subject of the link between appealing wrongful CHC decisions being just to 'protect' one's inheritance'? We appealed on by sister's behalf even though a) we were not her beneficiaries and b) she had nothing to leave anyway. We appealed because we did not think it was right that social services were having to pay for what the NHS should be.

Finally, when illness is at this level, no money in the world can necessarily buy the right care. In my father's case, that care is in an NHS unit so not accessible to self-funders/LA - only through CHC. Now he has got CHC, he of course is no longer self-funding, but any money I may happen to inherit as a result (I would have inherited it anyway did he not have AD) is secondary to the fact that he is getting the right care, as the NHS have a duty to do.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
There comes a time when we should all be responsible for ourselves and not expect an inheritance.

I would be devastated if I thought our children were scrutinising every penny we spent as it is their inheritance.

I agree. My Dau and SIL are only in their mid thirties and they work very hard. They are already saving for their old age with not a lot of thought of their son inheriting. They expect him to also work hard and rely on his efforts to give himself a good life-as they have. If dau and SIL get any inheritance from me they will be grateful I'm sure, but they will avoid the bitter feelings they would probably have if they were expecting to inherit and don't. They will also avoid the feelings of guilt by knowing they did their best by me if I needed to go to a CH and my money had made my life easier.