Continual Health Care funding and State Pension... Help needed

Jeannalea

Sep 14, 2015
Hi I am totally confused and wondered if anyone else knows answers:
My Dad went into a care home last December his Dementia was making it life threatening for him to be at home this was funded by local authorities. He then went into Hospital and had to have a toe removed, he was assessed as needing Continual Health Care funding and passed this assessment. He then was moved into a Nursing Home as his care needs were such. My question is what happens to his state pension, some previous conversations imply he keeps it whilst some say no it pays for his care.

I might add I don't want the money, not that I am wealthy but he has since died and unfortunately his life policies are not sufficient for his burial I am at my wits end trying to raise funds and just wondered if there is any chance he has had any payments of state pension into his bank whom I have yet to tackle. He would have not had anything in way of savings and would be devastated to think we were having this trouble. Statements were not sent to him as he used to hide them, loose them worry about them etc etc.

Advice eagerly sort.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
What a worry for you Jeannalea.
AFAIK usually (without CHC), if you dont have the capital, the fees are paid for by the LA and the state pension goes towards this, so you dont get it.
If it is paid for by CHC, though, it is different because the funding is paid for through the NHS, so he should have got his state pension during the time that he got CHC.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is it possible that what he was receiving was not Continuing Health Care but the Funded Nursing Care (FNC) AKA Registered Nursing Care Contribution (RNCC)? Because if that's the case, he wouldn't have been receiving his pension. Well he would, but the majority of it would be taken to offset his care costs.

Was someone his appointee for pension matters? It could have been an LA representative if family weren't able to do it, but most people use family.

And just to check - are you in England?

Jeannalea

Sep 14, 2015
Thank you all for feedback

I suspect it will be the partial funding that Dad was getting, but will check. I miss the Tax Credit by 35.00, since changes so not entitled to Funeral payout. I think I have secured a loan so although means getting in debts he will at least be buried. Yes I am in England. Thank you, appreciated. Jx