Continence issue - bowel incontinence

toots_87

Jan 11, 2021
My mum went into hospital in September After having a stroke. There has been a while where we’ve been dealing with bowel incontinace for a while before. She went into hospital and they worked to look at tablets which may have caused it which they did and it helped to an extent but we’ve had to bring her home quickly from hospital due to covid. she has very rapid bouts of bowel incontinance - she says she needs to go and she pretty much goes. she’s in incontenance products which helps a little but it’s the sheer amount which I’m finding difficult and due to covid I’m getting no support. there’s no patter or clear reason. she has cognitive issues which I feel are behind it and she takes iron which mum feels is the issue but I can’t admit I get upset about it as I can’t have her go into a care home. we’ve been referred to the continence service which we hope to hear from tomorrow. any tips or ideas how I help mum/myself deal with it? thank you!

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
Oh dear horrible isn't it my Mum had a major poo explosion last night just what you need on a Sunday evening she's normally pretty good first time she's done it in ages. If you don't hear from them you'll have to phone again failing that I would speak to the gp.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @toots_87, iron does sometimes cause problems. My mum was having alternating loose stools and constipation. All the normal medications didn't help ( laxido, fybogel etc). She was started on whole linseeds - couple of tablespoons daily sprinkled on food -on the gastroenterologists advice. She no longer has either extreme with her bowels which makes things a lot easier. MIL has accidents when her bowels are a lot looser - this usually happens when she does not eat any veg for a few days and then has a big meal.
One cause of diarrhoea that a lot of people miss is products containing sweeteners - mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, lactitol, and maltitol are all known to cause diarrhoea. This can be very confusing when someone has a sweet tooth as other sweeteners such as saccharin don't usually cause diarrhoea and if they have a few different products the effect can be intermittent dependant on which sweetener is in them.

toots_87

Jan 11, 2021
Hi @toots_87, iron does sometimes cause problems. My mum was having alternating loose stools and constipation. All the normal medications didn't help ( laxido, fybogel etc). She was started on whole linseeds - couple of tablespoons daily sprinkled on food -on the gastroenterologists advice. She no longer has either extreme with her bowels which makes things a lot easier. MIL has accidents when her bowels are a lot looser - this usually happens when she does not eat any veg for a few days and then has a big meal.
One cause of diarrhoea that a lot of people miss is products containing sweeteners - mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, lactitol, and maltitol are all known to cause diarrhoea. This can be very confusing when someone has a sweet tooth as other sweeteners such as saccharin don't usually cause diarrhoea and if they have a few different products the effect can be intermittent dependant on which sweetener is in them.
Thank you for such a great insight! Doctors and nurses have been looking at medication more than diet. I’ll suggest those to my mums doctor and hopefully they’ll agree we could try or cut out those! Thanks so much!

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Can you change her diet so you no longer require the iron tablets? So use food that produce the equivalent?

I am a huge fan of organic golden linseeds. I buy mine from a web site ‘whole foods online’ in three kilo bags.
Every single day of my life my breakfast consists of porridge made of one measure oats one measure milk and one measure of water.
when cooked I add a couple of tablespoons of linseeds.
Stir until it looks like something a horse would eat then it’s ready to consume.
I also add a tiny bit of brown sugar!
I don’t take it for bowels I take it for hormones. If I was taking it for bowels I would choose to put the linseeds in a coffee grinder ( fresh each day, no cheating)!
A pestle and mortar will not work you just end up with flat linseeds!
Do not waste your money on linseed oil products.
( American people cannot eat linseed ( pharmaceutical) so it is called flaxseed , the product is identical, but you understand flaxseed is so much ‘ bigger and better ?? ( that was a joke if you are scratching your head)

toots_87

Jan 11, 2021
Oh dear horrible isn't it my Mum had a major poo explosion last night just what you need on a Sunday evening she's normally pretty good first time she's done it in ages. If you don't hear from them you'll have to phone again failing that I would speak to the gp.
It’s so difficult for both parties isn’t it! I feel so bad for her it must be so difficult - we’ve had two pretty bad poo explosions today - 5 hours apart ?

toots_87

Jan 11, 2021
Can you change her diet so you no longer require the iron tablets? So use food that produce the equivalent?

I am a huge fan of organic golden linseeds. I buy mine from a web site ‘whole foods online’ in three kilo bags.
Every single day of my life my breakfast consists of porridge made of one measure oats one measure milk and one measure of water.
when cooked I add a couple of tablespoons of linseeds.
Stir until it looks like something a horse would eat then it’s ready to consume.
I also add a tiny bit of brown sugar!
I don’t take it for bowels I take it for hormones. If I was taking it for bowels I would choose to put the linseeds in a coffee grinder ( fresh each day, no cheating)!
A pestle and mortar will not work you just end up with flat linseeds!
Do not waste your money on linseed oil products.
( American people cannot eat linseed ( pharmaceutical) so it is called flaxseed , the product is identical, but you understand flaxseed is so much ‘ bigger and better ?? ( that was a joke if you are scratching your head)
Id like to try her on linseed - so I’d be best to grind the linseed? She has porridge so adding some to it shouldn’t be an issue

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
It’s so difficult for both parties isn’t it! I feel so bad for her it must be so difficult - we’ve had two pretty bad poo explosions today - 5 hours apart ?
It's upsetting but don't show your mum you are upset my Mum had two lovely dresses that I had to bin last year it was everywhere good job she never asked where they were. My Mum is diabetic so I definitely watch what I'm giving her to eat and drink. I had district nurses advise me they were doing a referal to Continence but when I phone and chase it they said I could do it obviously couldn't be bothered to do the paperwork on a Friday afternoon just what you really need it took months and the Continence products aren't cheap especially when you have someone
with recurring urine infections anyway I now deal with the head lead at the service lady is so understanding and phones me every few months.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Yes.
I would definitely grind the linseed.
Maybe grind the linseed for two weeks, then try without grinding for two weeks? see what you think?
If you are using for hormone then grinding in advance is bad. On the day is good. The hormone is delicate, I even let the porridge cool just a little before I add the linseed.

toots_87

Jan 11, 2021
It's upsetting but don't show your mum you are upset my Mum had two lovely dresses that I had to bin last year it was everywhere good job she never asked where they were. My Mum is diabetic so I definitely watch what I'm giving her to eat and drink. I had district nurses advise me they were doing a referal to Continence but when I phone and chase it they said I could do it obviously couldn't be bothered to do the paperwork on a Friday afternoon just what you really need it took months and the Continence products aren't cheap especially when you have someone
with recurring urine infections anyway I now deal with the head lead at the service lady is so understanding and phones me every few months.
Wonderful Glad they check in on you. A referral for my mum was put in this morning and we were told we would be contacted tonight or tomorrow as we’re getting low on products the hospital supplied and I don’t think shop bought will do the job.
I never show her I’m upset - cried alone in the kitchen after the second episode today.

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
Don't buy shop ones you'll go through them like no one's business when my Mum was discharged from hospital two years ago they said they were doing the referral basically she came back with nappy jobs and nothing on the discharge then she went back in pants plus pull ups we bought her unfortunately some people in these services just aren't help ?

toots_87

Jan 11, 2021
Don't buy shop ones you'll go through them like no one's business when my Mum was discharged from hospital two years ago they said they were doing the referral basically she came back with nappy jobs and nothing on the discharge then she went back in pants plus pull ups we bought her unfortunately some people in these services just aren't help ?
Which is helpful when you’re trying to do the best by the person and give them at least some dignity!

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
Exactly my mum went through a few months with pants the washing was horrendous but she know now she wears pull ups and I clear them away and put a fresh one out for her it's been very draining and yes it is exhausting but when we lie on the bed together and have a cuddle she's a very pleasant lady she sometimes calls me mum but I just divert the situation take care x

toots_87

Jan 11, 2021
Exactly my mum went through a few months with pants the washing was horrendous but she know now she wears pull ups and I clear them away and put a fresh one out for her it's been very draining and yes it is exhausting but when we lie on the bed together and have a cuddle she's a very pleasant lady she sometimes calls me mum but I just divert the situation take care x
i got an I love you earlier which I think is why I got upset earlier. I love her and want the best for her but it’s so hard sometimes to know what to do for the best.

toots_87

Jan 11, 2021
Yes.
I would definitely grind the linseed.
Maybe grind the linseed for two weeks, then try without grinding for two weeks? see what you think?
If you are using for hormone then grinding in advance is bad. On the day is good. The hormone is delicate, I even let the porridge cool just a little before I add the linseed.
Thank you for the advice! Nice to know we have possible options!

Son-turned-carer

Jan 17, 2021
Hi all, first time poster here and have registered to share some. Of particular tips I’ve learned through trial and error looking after mum who is now doubly incontinent. She’s not cognitive enough to know what the poo is and often find it in drawers, on tables, furniture etc.

On a practical level we have bought some water washable chair pads for every chair. Buy more than you need so you’ve some clean ones to quickly put on if any get messed up. I’ve recently had to sew some elastic on to them as mum has started to remove them. So far it’s working but I have I doubt she will work out how to remove them in time. I have a similar (but bigger) pad on the bed on top of the normal bed sheet, waterproof mattress protector and electric blanket.

The brand of pad can make quite a difference. For light incontinence the ones from Home Bargains are much cheaper but just as good as brand leaders like Tena (although I did notice a drop in quality about a year ago) but now I only purchase ones From the Paul Hartmann website and can’t fault them at all from the design to stop leakage and the sheer volume they can hold (for urine at least). I put used pads in a nappy bag and try squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible as they take up A LOT of volume in the bin!).

When it’s been a messy movement I’ll clean up with a wet wipe (which I’ll put in the nappy bag with the pad to stop blocking the toilet and sewers). Trial, error and personal preference with those. I used to use Asda own brand as I found them very strong, good size, decent amount of wetness to help with cleaning and a nice scent. Sadly they have changed recently so was using various baby wipes but they can be pricey and have now settled on skin therapy ones from Wilco. At 50p a pack they are tremendous value, contain aloe vera and chamomile extract but don’t contain plastic.

I’ve become expert at recognising the signs that she needs to have a bowl movement; sudden agitation, especially after eating, pacing, squirming and irritability (above the normal irritability!) and try get her to the toilet as soon as possible.

Constipation is an issue but try to give her a healthy diet with plenty of fruit, veg and porridge. Luckily she likes all those. A stool softener helps when she’s bunged up and use lactolose. The sheer size of the stools also adds to the constipation as they can be painful to pass for her (when I say it’s like giving birth I’m not exaggerating!) . The lactolose helps with this. I also sit with her and stroke her hand to distract and calm her. I’ll do deep breathing like when giving birth and give her encouraging words like “come on, nearly there” and “push!” Although she doesn’t really understand how to do that I think it engages with her enough to distract her from giving up and standing up before she’s finished. It doesn’t always work though but I’ve learned not to beat myself up when it fails.

For cleaning clothes Vanish Oxy Wash is a miracle liquid. The liquid gel spot cleaner can tackle even fairly large patches and doesn’t bleach coloured items. I’ll also put a scoop of powder in the washer as it helps with stain and odour removal. Similar oxygen based carpet spot cleaners are also good for small stains on carpets. Failing that I would happily recommend a Bissell carpet spot cleaner. I use a mixed solution of a low foaming carpet shampoo and quaternium based disinfectant in hot water, applied from the machine, scrubbed with the brush head then extracted. It will leave the carpet slightly damp but will dry on its own in about 12 hrs depending on conditions.

Finally keep an eye on sores and rashes. I’d recommend a cream called Cavilon from 3M which was specifically designed as a barrier cream for incontinence and is superb at stopping skin damage.

Sorry I’ve rambled on a lot but wanted to share as much as I could think of in the hope that just a little bit of it is of some use.

Good luck!

Son-turned-carer

Last edited:

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
Hi all, first time poster here and have registered to share some. Of particular tips I’ve learned through trial and error looking after mum who is now doubly incontinent. She’s not cognitive enough to know what the poo is and often find it in drawers, on tables, furniture etc.

On a practical level we have bought some water washable chair pads for every chair. Buy more than you need so you’ve some clean ones to quickly put on if any get messed up. I’ve recently had to sew some elastic on to them as mum has started to remove them. So far it’s working but I have I doubt she will work out how to remove them in time. I have a similar (but bigger) pad on the bed on top of the normal bed sheet, waterproof mattress protector and electric blanket.

The brand of pad can make quite a difference. For light incontinence the ones from Home Bargains are much cheaper but just as good as brand leaders like Tena (although I did notice a drop in quality about a year ago) but now I only purchase ones From the Paul Hartmann website and can’t fault them at all from the design to stop leakage and the sheer volume they can hold (for urine at least). I put used pads in a nappy bag and try squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible as they take up A LOT of volume in the bin!).

When it’s been a messy movement I’ll clean up with a wet wipe (which I’ll put in the nappy bag with the pad to stop blocking the toilet and sewers). Trial, error and personal preference with those. I used to use Asda own brand as I found them very strong, good size, decent amount of wetness to help with cleaning and a nice scent. Sadly they have changed recently so was using various baby wipes but they can be pricey and have now settled on skin therapy ones from Wilco. At 50p a pack they are tremendous value, contain aloe vera and chamomile extract but don’t contain plastic.

I’ve become expert at recognising the signs that she needs to have a bowl movement; sudden agitation, especially after eating, pacing, squirming and irritability (above the normal irritability!) and try get her to the toilet as soon as possible.

Constipation is an issue but try to give her a healthy diet with plenty of fruit, veg and porridge. Luckily she likes all those. A stool softener helps when she’s bunged up and use lactolose. The sheer size of the stools also adds to the constipation as they can be painful to pass for her (when I say it’s like giving birth I’m not exaggerating!) . The lactolose helps with this. I also sit with her and stroke her hand to distract and calm her. I’ll do deep breathing like when giving birth and give her encouraging words like “come on, nearly there” and “push!” Although she doesn’t really understand how to do that I think it engages with her enough to distract her from giving up and standing up before she’s finished. It doesn’t always work though but I’ve learned not to beat myself up when it fails.

For cleaning clothes Vanish Oxy Wash is a miracle liquid. The liquid gel spot cleaner can tackle even fairly large patches and doesn’t bleach coloured items. I’ll also put a scoop of powder in the washer as it helps with stain and odour removal. Similar oxygen based carpet spot cleaners are also good for small stains on carpets. Failing that I would happily recommend a Bissell carpet spot cleaner. I use a mixed solution of a low foaming carpet shampoo and quaternium based disinfectant in hot water, applied from the machine, scrubbed with the brush head then extracted. It will leave the carpet slightly damp but will dry on its own in about 12 hrs depending on conditions.

Finally keep an eye on sores and rashes. I’d recommend a cream called Cavilon from 3M which was specifically designed as a barrier cream for incontinence and is superb at stopping skin damage.

Sorry I’ve rambled on a lot but wanted to share as much as I could think of in the hope that just a little bit of it is of some use.

Good luck!

Son-turned-carer
You don't have to pay for pads please speak to the Continence Dept if you know what NHS trust just look up on the service on the a_z directory they may offer to scan her bladder as well. They will then send you samples for her to try.

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
Thank you for such a great insight! Doctors and nurses have been looking at medication more than diet. I’ll suggest those to my mums doctor and hopefully they’ll agree we could try or cut out those! Thanks so much!
Your Mum is not on Metformin diabetes medication is she?

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
Your Mum is not on Metformin diabetes medication is she?
My mum was on a sr combined Metformin pill she's now on a gliptin medication she's a type 2 which is a serious condition they the so called health professionals thought this may be causing her more confusion she does wee a lot though but she's not bowel incontinent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman