Consultants in the North West of England

Bobthebuilder

Oct 13, 2021
Hi All,

My Dad has just been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. Since his diagnoses we have just been left with no information or support. I am trying to piece together who we should see, when we should see them etc but there just seems to be a void of information. My Dad has now said that he will pay to see a private consultant as he wants someone to explain his diagnoses, treatment, next steps etc. Can anyone recommend a consultant in the NW who we could try to see? Thanks so much

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can anyone recommend a consultant in the NW who we could try to see?
Forum T&Cs prevent members recommending professionals.

Have you tried asking the GP for a private referral to a consultant of their choice?
Some consultants demand a GP referral.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid that there is a general void of information anyway and you may find yourself no better off having seen someone privately.

I have found this forum to be the best source of information. You can also scour the internet to see what is happening in your area, but do be careful as there are a lot of fake treatments for dementia out there. Has your dad been started with donepezil? There isnt really much else for Alzheimers apart from a couple of alternatives if he cant tolerate it.

Its impossible to build a time line for Alzheimers as everyone with it is different and not everyone has identical symptoms. All you can do is sort things out as they arise. What sort of problems are you having?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Bobthebuilder. I’m sorry to read about your dad’s diagnosis but I’m glad you’ve found this forum.

I wondered if this publication would be of any help to you -

When you’re ready to look for specific information you will find lots of helpful factsheets and publications through this link-

You should also be able to see if there is any support available near you through this link -

Keep posting here as you will find lots of help and support from other members.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'm sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. If you read around this site you'll learn everything there is to know about dementia - it's a good idea to research it as then you'll know a bit more what you're dealing with.

I'm going to sound very negative here, for which I'm sorry, but... there isn't much help for dementia sufferers, which is probably why you haven't been offered any. As others have mentioned, there are some drugs which can slow down the progress. These work well for some, less well for others and some can't tolerate them at all. (Co-morbidities are also a factor.) Apart from that, there is nothing in the way of treatment. Dementia is incurable. It gets worse and finally it kills you. It's probably more important to arrange things such as Power of Attorney and to consider - as a family - how you are going to manage going forwards.

Probably not needed right now but as things progress, you're looking at day care centres, help at home, i.e. carers coming in, etc. Unless your father has less than £23,500 in savings he will have to pay for all care himself.

A lot to think about - give yourself time to get used to the diagnosis and what it means. And good luck! This forum is a life saver so ask all your questions here...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynt68