Consultant refuses medication

Lstevens412

Jul 25, 2020
Good afternoon, my husband spoke to a memory consultant yesterday who confirmed his mums has Alzheimers. He didn’t think a brain scan would help, and he didn’t recommend any medication as she takes some other medication like a mild anti depressant, and a couple more. Is this common place? Do you have to fight for it? I have two friends whose parents both benefitted from medication. Any thoughts? I’m not an expert but you guys are! He is going to send us a report.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Welcome to the forum and others will along soon with better advice. However my mother in law had mixed dementia and was never offered any medication. She was a high falls risk and any dementia medication would have put her at greater risk of feeling unstable. The risks therefore outweighed the benefits

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you have got problems with your heart you often cant take the usual drugs for Alzheimers as it can be dangerous - one of the side effects is slowing the heart rate down.

No medication can treat the dementia. It may improve their symptoms, at least for a while, but nothing will slow down the progression. How well it improves symptoms cant be predicted, some people do very well on them, but others dont seem to gain any improvement, so its a question of weighing up the pros and cons.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome from me too.

My dad was given medication for his dementia it I’m not sure it did him any good and when the dosage was increased his behaviour was a nightmare so it had to be decreased again. I wish he’d never have been given anything so your husband’s mum may be better without it.

I found this forum far more valuable for helping dad through his illness than anything the doctors had to offer.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Good afternoon, my husband spoke to a memory consultant yesterday who confirmed his mums has Alzheimers. He didn’t think a brain scan would help, and he didn’t recommend any medication as she takes some other medication like a mild anti depressant, and a couple more. Is this common place? Do you have to fight for it? I have two friends whose parents both benefitted from medication. Any thoughts? I’m not an expert but you guys are! He is going to send us a report.
@Lstevens412 I think you need to wait for his report. My husband had a brain scan and nothing untoward showed up but he has late onset Alzheimer’s. They had to be careful with his meds because he takes heart medication and as @canary said I her post care has to taken when prescribing other meds.
Recently my husband deteriorated and a GP at his care home prescribed another medication which has led to his behaviour becoming uncontrollable and on Monday he had to be sectioned. I am furious because this GP did not consult the consultant at the memory matters clinic who has been looking after my husband for six years.
So my advice would be to wait for the report and then you can make an appointment to discuss it with him, I’ve always found that they are more than happy to talk things through.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
My husband is on medication for heart problems and when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2 years ago the consultant said she could not give him Donepezil because of that and instead prescribed Memantine, which he has been on since then without any problems.