Constant tream of consciousness has replaced communication now

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It's a new language and a guessing game as to what she means and what she will eat. Chicken casserole with mash went down well barely two weeks ago, but not today. I thought she was maybe constipated again or tired, but she wanted ice cream. Now she wants a sandwich, and of course the logic of not having any more cheese at this time of night for the possible disruption to sleep, the increase in fat intake as I try to control blood pressure is not registering even when she stops talking without saying anything.
I love the principles of compassionate communication and would recommend it to anyone, but some days you can't get a word in long enough to communicate. I asked her son to speak to her on the video call last week and he has been putting me off the whole time. Her daughter is good at telling me what she should be drinking, just as she is finally drinking what I give her, but will her daughter accept that? Sometimes white lies work just as well with invisibles too. :rolleyes:
Sorry, between UTIs, and now my partner is going to have blood tests to decide if her kidneys will survive low level antibiotics, stiffening up due to endless sitting and arthritis, and routine having gone out the window I am losing the ability to care about any of it. That looks terrible on paper, but the thought is there too often recently to deny it. Anyway, C has her favourite care worker from the agency and it feels good to get if off my chest, so thanks for reading and I hope you are all as well as can be.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
?? from me too @nae sporran.
It’s the unpredictability that’s so hard and loosing the ability to care is, I think a self defence mechanisms or else it all becomes too much.
Take care

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The changes in food behaviour caused my husband to lose weight rapidly @nae sporran and there was nothing I could do to prevent it. I hope it doesn`t come to this with C.

It sounds as if too much is happening now , especially if the language is going and perhaps you could direct compassionate communication towards yourself. Nothing you have written looks terrible on paper or anywhere else.

You sound tired,

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks everyone. I will have to have another look at that compassionate communication and see how I can direct it, Sylvia.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry I missed your thread yesterday.

It all sounds so, so hard. I can’t share any words of wisdom, I’m just glad that sharing here helps a little bit,

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
The nurse wants to start low level antibiotics, but the doctor has said he would rather give C emergency antibiotics for 3 days and wait for a few more UTIs to be confirmed before going down that route. I think it is now 6 UTIs in 3 months with two in April, Three in May and one more recently .
Yesterday she woke up with one warm leg and one cold leg, asking if we were in my car despite obviously being in her bed in her nightie. I say obviously, but we live in a strange world now where nothing is obvious or normal. Even last summer's new normal is changing. The doc today ruled out a UTI, but is waiting for the lab to check. He thinks occasional blood in urine may be caused by a uterus problem and even suggested cancer. I hope not, and hope any intrusive tests will not distress her too much. She does seem to go into hostess mode on these occasions, and that may save her.
I'm rambling a bit as I try to work out what is happening over the past few months. So, thank you for reading and if anyone has any ideas about dementia and uterus examinations I would appreciate the advice and insights. All the best to everyone.

Lulubelle74

Apr 16, 2018
The nurse wants to start low level antibiotics, but the doctor has said he would rather give C emergency antibiotics for 3 days and wait for a few more UTIs to be confirmed before going down that route. I think it is now 6 UTIs in 3 months with two in April, Three in May and one more recently .
Yesterday she woke up with one warm leg and one cold leg, asking if we were in my car despite obviously being in her bed in her nightie. I say obviously, but we live in a strange world now where nothing is obvious or normal. Even last summer's new normal is changing. The doc today ruled out a UTI, but is waiting for the lab to check. He thinks occasional blood in urine may be caused by a uterus problem and even suggested cancer. I hope not, and hope any intrusive tests will not distress her too much. She does seem to go into hostess mode on these occasions, and that may save her.
I'm rambling a bit as I try to work out what is happening over the past few months. So, thank you for reading and if anyone has any ideas about dementia and uterus examinations I would appreciate the advice and insights. All the best to everyone.

Gosh that's a lot on your plate. My Dad is always very good with doctors and has undergone examinations for prostrate cancer and now has injections in his eye for macular degeneration. However, everyone is different and if it's a rather invasive examination C may react badly. As others have stated the unpredictability is stressful. Fingers crossed she doesn't need to have anything intrusive done. You sound like you are doing a very good job under difficult circumstances.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear @nae sporran , something else to add to your worries.

I really do hope the blood in the urine is not sinister and you will be able to take some deep breaths to calm you and see you through.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That's a lot for your dad to put up with, @Lulubelle74. I feel C will react fairly well during the examination, but the effort will catch up with her later. I hope your dad's eyes are benefitting from the injections.

Thank you Sylvia @Grannie G. CBT gave me some good breathing exercises which I'll need to do more often.