Constant talking drives me insane

Future dreams

Feb 22, 2020
Hello dear friends . Have only just joined here . At 01.25 its nice to have some where to read and know others in same boat . Have pit husband back in bed yor 11th time . He gets up stands on landing and is non stop talk . Hes like it all day . Talk and talk . Doesnt stop. How do others cope with this constant chattering . He has conversations with some one. God knows who . His speech has gone as such its all gobbly gook . Gives such a head ache . Cant get away from it .

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hello dear friends . Have only just joined here . At 01.25 its nice to have some where to read and know others in same boat . Have pit husband back in bed yor 11th time . He gets up stands on landing and is non stop talk . Hes like it all day . Talk and talk . Doesnt stop. How do others cope with this constant chattering . He has conversations with some one. God knows who . His speech has gone as such its all gobbly gook . Gives such a head ache . Cant get away from it .
I am so sorry, you must be totally exhausted .
perhaps another assessment of needs is required. I found out that night sitters were available for a couple of nights- totally unheard of I thought but apparently not !

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside

Welcome to DTP @Future dreams.
Would the radio drown out some of the talking? Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This must be so difficult to live with @Future dreams

I was at the bus stop with a mother and daughter and the mother was continuously talking to herself.

I kept thinking she was talking to me but she wasn`t. I have to admit I was relieved when the bus came.

I'm loathe to suggest it but I wonder if some calming medication might help. I know it`s considered incorrect to medicate to help the carer but if this constant verbalisation is a symptom of anxiety in your husband perhaps his GP could help.

SueBee1965

Apr 2, 2020
I've just joined too. My mum died in December just gone and whilst my dad was having memory issues which we thought might be the beginning of alzeheimers, this pushed him right over the edge and I'm now thrown into full time care. He wakes me at 6am and talks all day long until 11pm. Basically its same 5 questions rapidly over and over and over along with wanting to go home (he is in his home). If I stop responding he gets agitated, if I go outside to the garden for a break he follows me, if I take a shower he stands outside the door calling for me, if I nip to the shops he walks up and down the road looking for me or rings my mobile incessantly. That said he does sleep fairly well at night (although he is waking erlier and earlier) and as yet I dont have to do any physical care beyond meals, running the house, laundry etc. So I know in that regard I'm still in a fortunate position. He doesnt know I'm his daughter anymore and is often somewhat inappropriate. I love my dad but I've had no time to grieve for my mum, I've had to split from my husband because of COVID, I've had to close my business and lay off my staff, no income and I feel like I'm about to break. How do other carers cope? I often find myself feeling really resentful and wishing I could check him into care. I know I wont but that doesnt stop the feelings from coming nor the guilt afterwards. Such a head warp.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum @SueBee1965. Condolences on the loss of your mum and sorry your dad's condition is making life so hard. Others will have more experience of how to deal with the anxiety your dad is displaying and medication or ways to cope, but Dementia Connect is a good place to get more professional support while the crisis is reducing support services. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/dementiaconnect will take you there and compassionate communication may help with the constant talking. https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/ if you want to look into it.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Does he like music? I have seen constant chatterers, who normally wander and ask the same questions time and time again, become calm and completely absorbed by music. Is there anything you can give him to do in connection with a hobby or what he did for a living? Something repetitive (and safe, of course) which he could get absorbed in?