Constant churning stomach

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My dad went to the doctors yesterday for something to ease his constantly churning stomach.

As the problem is caused by the stress and strain he's under, rather than a bug or food poisoning etc, all she could offer him was citalopram, which he's had before and which didn't help. She also advised him that he should accept more help and have more time to himself, which as you probably know, he won't consider.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions, other than the above, as to what might help to calm his churning tummy? I was wondering about things like Settlers or Tums, or Pepto-Bismol, but I think these are geared more towards indigestion.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Your poor dad CG is his own worst enemy. You have tried so hard to make life a little easier for him but he refuses to budge.
I hate to say it but he is beyond help. All you can do is be there in case a miracle happens.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Meditation? Really, he needs to address the stress somehow and any pills or tinctures will not help unless he does so.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
He was sent on a mindfulness course recently, but balked at being given a raisin to study. To give him his due, he went three times, but when they had him shuffling slowly around the room in one exercise, he stopped going. He's just not the type to get anything from that sort of thing. He's a very practical man and anything like that, he feels, is just a load of old rubbish (apologies to those who benefit from it). And he just doesn't have the time to do the homework that was expected.

I know he needs to address the cause of his stress, but he won't, and I can't make him.

But surely there must be something he can take that will at least help to calm his tummy?

Last edited:

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
I'm not convinced that there is any medication that will help - he really needs to address the stress which is causing it. Dreadfully frustrating, I know.

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
He was sent on a mindfulness course recently, but balked at being given a raisin to study. To give him his due, he went three times, but when they had him shuffling slowly around the room in one exercise, he stopped going. He's just not the type to get anything from that sort of thing. He's a very practical man and anything like that, he feels, is just a load of old rubbish (apologies to those who benefit from it). And he just doesn't have the time to do the homework that was expected.

I know he needs to address the cause of his stress, but he won't, and I can't make him.

But surely there must be something he can take that will at least help to calm his tummy?

Might he try herbal tea? Mint is very good for tummies and camomile has calming properties. Bit of an acquired taste but honey makes both nicer.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I agree with Moonflower, and I think you know this yourself CG.
Taking remedies for tummy upsets could possibly harm him, and you know what he needs, but you know he won't address it.
I am so sorry, for your dad, and you CG.
Must say, I think the mindfulness was probably not what your dad needs -- he needs to relax, not be thinking "Why the hell am I here shuffling along when I could be elsewhere?" Nothing suits everyone, does it?
Thinking of you, CG.

Just thinking that the course your dad went on would be great for my dad.
He would not get any mindfulness from it, but would probably not stop laughing from start to finish.
I make no apologies for this -- he is too old-fashioned and set in his ways, but has always seen the hilarious in life.

Last edited:

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
Herbal teas are a very good idea. Someone once told me eating a banana is calming but it can give me indigestion.

I do hope you find a solution that will help your Father.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I agree with Moonflower, and I think you know this yourself CG.
Taking remedies for tummy upsets could possibly harm him, and you know what he needs, but you know he won't address it.
I am so sorry, for your dad, and you CG.
Must say, I think the mindfulness was probably not what your dad needs -- he needs to relax, not be thinking "Why the hell am I here shuffling along when I could be elsewhere?" Nothing suits everyone, does it?
Thinking of you, CG.

Just thinking that the course your dad went on would be great for my dad.
He would not get any mindfulness from it, but would probably not stop laughing from start to finish.
I make no apologies for this -- he is too old-fashioned and set in his ways, but has always seen the hilarious in life.

There is one of those new send-up Ladybird books for grown-ups on Mindfulness - I found it hilarious and bought a couple as presents. Ditto the one on The Shed.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I can't imagine persuading my dad to even consider a mindfulness course. He's a very practical type of person, and he would get much more out of something to do with a hobby - carpentry, gardening, photography. Would your dad consider something like that, just to give him a break from concentrating on all the stressful things around him?

But if he is under all that stress, I'd be wondering about a possible stomach ulcer - I guess the dr will have considered it, but I think you should be keeping it in mind and make sure he goes back if it carries on or gets worse.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm another one who uses mint tea.

Your poor Dad-and you CG-but I wish he would listen to people who says he needs help

Love

Lyn T

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
See if your poor dad would try some aloe vera gel added to apple juice. Can't make any promises but it works for some people ;) Also try adding a couple of drops of Bach Rescue Remedy (yes I know it's all a load of baloney but who's to say baloney doesn't have its place in the world)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Also try adding a couple of drops of Bach Rescue Remedy (yes I know it's all a load of baloney but who's to say baloney doesn't have its place in the world)

Give me baloney anytime:) it has often worked for me and is harmless. I use mint tea too CG and it can be settling sometimes and even just a warm wheatbag on his lap can ease things, its a comfort which he is in need of. I hope you find something for him that will help even just a little CG. Thinking of you all:)xx

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
The only thing that helped me was alka seltzer it settled my tummy churning for a while not long though,

It was stress and worry that caused mine the same as your dads will probably be X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
This is a bit far out, but oatstraw tea is mild and pleasant, and has the effect of calming the nerves (it is full of minerals like calcium) while not inducing sleep as chamomile can. (Chamomile is another option at night.) I'd suggest a big pot of it for both parents! Oatstraw tea is also nice when chilled.