• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

considering a move from SPAIN to UK

Not open for further replies.


Volunteer Moderator
Dec 15, 2012
This is a copy and paste of a member's useful response on an archived thread .... the original poster's father was in Spain .... with thanks to la lucia

Hi, first UK stuff then Spain...

A lot depends on whether he is going to be self-funding or not. BUT

Do be aware that he is not eligible for state support in the UK because he has not been living here for so long.

And be careful because there's been some terrible situations where social services have become involved and both refused support and blocked the pwd from returning home. Or made it almost impossible. And then refused to accept that the pwds home is their primary residence. There was a recent thread on this.

You probably can still organise POA if you have a friend or neighbour who knows him (not a relative) but if your father's assets are in Spain it probably won't be valid. It might be worth getting for backup or a 'plan B' in the future. You will need a Spanish POA for his Spanish affairs.

Don't under estimate your father's mental capacity - legally he just needs to understand at the time of signing it doesn't matter if he doesn't remember or is behaving erratically. My mum was very resistant but I enlisted a friend of hers to explain that her whole family young and old had done them "in case they had a car accident" We explained that it's a legal process not a will. We made a little effort to go through it in front of her friend paragraph by paragraph and she behaved because the friend was there. We did both Financial and Health and in the latter you could add your father's wishes to remain in Spain.

Ok Spain

You need a Spanish POA for Spain so I would contact Age Concern Spain quickly and get advice because there's more than one type of POA. Email them ASAP because you need to act fast or you could land in a legal document horror show.

I lived in Spain and other family members have been there since Franco died so I can understand your father in law's wishes - Spain is his home and he will have full legal rights if he's played by the rules and been registered etc.,

The Spanish NHS is one of the best in the world but social care for dementia is variable but certainly not impossible. Every region has its own rules about funding for care and will require a means test but several regions contribute quite generously.

Hiring private carers is a lot cheaper than here and there are care homes in some places and the numbers are increasing. Maybe qualified live in care is a way forward but you will possibly have to 'invent' a reason for someone moving in.

You need to plug into his social network too because someone local needs to keep a supervisory eye on things and report back to you if he has care at home. And you need to make sure that no one can take advantage of him.

I don't know if you speak Spanish? Here’s some addresses Both of the Tenerife addresses have websites so use Google translate if you don't. Age Concern Spain is in English but it doesn't show a group in Canarias but ask because this may have changed

Some areas have English immigrant organisations that visit pwds on a voluntary basis but obviously not in a professional care role but you really need to be over in Tenerife to get all the necessary information and support in place.

Is he under the Spanish NHS? What's his residency status? Make sure you get hold of all his documents and keep them safe.

My mother went through a phase of shredding everything and losing stuff and as an immigrant your FinLaw needs his documents....

Here's the addresses the Age Concern link is above. And best of luck with it all. And do let us know how you get on if you can spare the time.


English speaking dementia home care

English nurse offering help

I'm assuming that AZ society mods won't remove these because they are not English and people really need help with family abroad but they're a starting point and there's more services available if you look - Google is your friend. I can't vouch for any of the care orgs obviously but they are a starting point.

Asociación de Familiares de Enfermos de Alzheimer y Otras Demencias de La Palma
Dirección: Avda. Eusebio Barreto Lorenzo, 59 - Urb. 29 de Octubre, Local 4
Población: Los llanos de Aridane (La Palma)
Provincia: Santa Cruz de Tenerife
C.P.: 38760
T:: 922402603
T: 629920730
Fax: 922402515
Email: afalapalma@afalapalma.com
Web: www.afalapalma.net
Presidente: Rosario Isabel Rodríguez Camacho

Asociación de Familiares y Cuidadores de Enfermos de Alzheimer y Otras Demencias de Tenerife
Dirección: C/ Eladio Alfonso y González, 6
Población: Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Provincia: Santa Cruz de Tenerife
C.P.: 38010
T:: 922660881
T: 666438636
Fax: 922671382
Email: administracion@afate.es
Web: www.afate.es
Presidente: Manuel Angel Hernández García
Last edited:
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Latest member