Consent, Complaint, Capacity ....help please?

janey106

Dec 10, 2013
In a nutshell, the Medical Practitioner Society and BMA offer advice to GPs if they receive complaints. Who offers advice and information to the patient and/or their family please?

Need to know if we can insist her twerp of a GP (about whom we have now made official complaint) is NOT the person at the practice who talks to her about the consent form she has signed for her medical records to be examined? Mum does have capacity sometimes and when I explained what we were worried about, she said he wasn't her GP anyway (she still thinks the one who retired 8 years ago is her GP) and she said "even if he is, he sounds stupid and I don't want him to be!" We are actually liaising with GP Practice Manager who said a signed form would be enough but now they are insisting Mum goes in (Mum says she will only go in if I go with her).

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
In a nutshell, the Medical Practitioner Society and BMA offer advice to GPs if they receive complaints. Who offers advice and information to the patient and/or their family please?

Need to know if we can insist her twerp of a GP (about whom we have now made official complaint) is NOT the person at the practice who talks to her about the consent form she has signed for her medical records to be examined? Mum does have capacity sometimes and when I explained what we were worried about, she said he wasn't her GP anyway (she still thinks the one who retired 8 years ago is her GP) and she said "even if he is, he sounds stupid and I don't want him to be!" We are actually liaising with GP Practice Manager who said a signed form would be enough but now they are insisting Mum goes in (Mum says she will only go in if I go with her).

Hi!
I would suggest you contact your local advocate at your local alzheimers society..They are generally very good in representing people..and the word itself tells people that they can't mess you around!
Best wishes

janey106

Dec 10, 2013
Just updating on this thread. We spoke to Mum and explained what had been happening and she agreed to go with Dad and my Sister to the surgery to confirm she gave consent. We explained it again, and again, right up to the appointment where the Practice Manager and another GP met with them. They tried to make her feel bad for making the complaint, wanted to talk to her alone (Dad refused this ..her confusion evident as she thought her husband was her Dad anyway) but eventually agreed to progress the Claim. Now reregistered them with adjoining surgery so just awaiting response about complaint. In the meantime this ruddy awful disease is consuming more and more of Mum and all of those supporting her and Dad.