Connie back from hols

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi all.

Back from my lovely holiday in Portugal. It was really great and I am much rested.
Picked Lionel up yesterday and he looked so well. It was so good to see him.
Thank you for all your good wishes before I went, and appreciate your messages welcoming me home.

One thing marred my hols, and it directly relates to how we all cope with this illness.

My beloved godfather, aged 88, died the day I left the country. He, and his wife my godmother, were like second parents to me. They saw me through the deaths of my own parents, and then the loss of my husband. They have been with me every step of the way through Lionel’s fight against this disease.

My sons had to make a decision whether to let me know and bring me home for the funeral. They took the decision that I needed the rest. I applaud them for letting me stay unknowing Yes it was a shock, and I visited his wife, my dear Auntie Connie, within hours of arriving back. She also understood. As she said “you do not have the choice to re-arrange things to suit yourself, you have to consider Lionel, and then keep your strength to look after him” Just another facet of life with AD.

Sorry, straight back, and I am moaning already. Will catch up with all the post soon

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Connie
Glad you had a good holiday but I'm so sorry to hear your news....
It must have been an awful decision for your sons to make but I'm really pleased that under the circumstances they made the right one..
Well done to them!!:)
Love Wendy

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Glad you had a good holiday - you actually 'sound' rested - that's wonderful - Really sad news to come home to.. I am certain as well that your sons made the right decision. Your Godfather would have preferred you to have the 'rest' I am sure but it must have been a horrid shock. So sad.

It is good to have you back

Michael

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Connie,
So good to have you back but sorry for your loss. I'm glad however that your holiday wasn't cut short !
Where in Portugal did you go? My grandmother was Portuguese and her parents from a town called Abramtese
( not sure of the spelling). One day I would love to visit there.
I hope you had a wonderful time!
Debbie

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Connie

So glad that you had a restful holiday and I am sorry that it ended so sadly. On the positive side, you have wonderfully supportive and careing sons, lucky you!

Hugs

Dick

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Connie

I can't see that you're moaning at all. I am really sorry for your sad news, yet out of that you have shared something really quite up-lifting.

I've never really thought about how much decision-making there is involved in caring before (some very obvious long-term ones) and many probably even made subconsciously (day-to-day stuff) .... another potential for the guilt monster to get a grip ... 'what if I get it wrong?'.....

Absolutely brilliant your sons to be confident and considerate enough to use their own judgement! (One for NuttyNan's thread on 'real help'???!!!) You must be so proud!:)

Love, Karen (TF)

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan