Confusion

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
My husband seems to be confused about Christmas we are staying with my son till Boxing Day. I keep telling him about all the things I'm doing in preparation. He seems to understand but today said he didn't know what was going onl I sat down with him and explained it's Christmas Eve tomorrow and we are going away for three days. He has Aphasia which affects his speech I find now it's gone worse his understanding of things is going o.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I have a little white board in the kitchen and I write a very simple list of what we are doing over the next few days. It saves me having to say it over and over again. At the moment it says, Sunday, Christmas Eve...at home. Monday, Christmas Day, family lunch...etc. He couldn’t remember which day is which.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
A lot has been going on in my husband's day centre as well as around us at home. He has not once mentioned that Christmas is approaching. I take my cue from that and only tell him once what our plans are. After that I let it go until we are actually en route.

At the moment his dress clothes are hanging on his chair and when he is up and showered and shaved we will get ready to go with our eldest daughter and family for lunch in a famous city centre restaurant.

He will have forgotten this by now but I will not mention it again until we are on our way. Just hope this all works.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
That sounds like a lovely day planned! I can’t get away with saying it once...because he keeps asking the same questions....which day is Christmas Day? I feel very lucky that he can still read this simple board.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Confusion is more distressful sometimes than other symptoms and certainly annoy my OH when she has them, which is often and even she refers to them as her confusions! As for planning it can be a nightmare and as she can’t read notes etc as waiting for cataract operation and says all writing is just yellow so that kind of aid memoire doesn’t help. Patience gets stretched to breaking point sometimes but have to keep reminding myself it is not her but the disease.

Bluepanda

Dec 27, 2017
I’m a new member so still finding my way around.
This. thread jumped out at me as I find OH’s confusion to be so frustrating.
We had been planning for ages to go to daughter’s house but the night before travelling I mentioned something about “when we go tomorrow” he said “Where are we going?” When I told him he said he didn’t know we were going and I hadn’t mentioned it! I just wish he would admit he had forgotten though I suppose he was convinced I hadn’t been talking about the plans for ages.
I just wish it didn’t make me impatient with him. I just wish he was like he used to be.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I’m a new member so still finding my way around.
This. thread jumped out at me as I find OH’s confusion to be so frustrating.
We had been planning for ages to go to daughter’s house but the night before travelling I mentioned something about “when we go tomorrow” he said “Where are we going?” When I told him he said he didn’t know we were going and I hadn’t mentioned it! I just wish he would admit he had forgotten though I suppose he was convinced I hadn’t been talking about the plans for ages.
I just wish it didn’t make me impatient with him. I just wish he was like he used to be.
It is very hard to be patient, isn’t it? I find it so much easier when my husband is REALLY muddled, because then it is obvious it is dementia affecting him. When he seems perfectly rational but insists he has not been told something it is very difficult to remember that this is not his fault either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallySunnyside