confusion/sundowners behavior

chattykathy224

Jan 20, 2007
Vancouver, WA
My Dad came to live with me about nine months ago. It was not planned and has been exstremely difficult. He has a little dog that is really old. The dog has accidents in the house and we are beside ourselves with this. We do not have animals in the house. We even bought a carpet shampooer to keep up on the mess. We don't want to have Dad go to a nursing home, but we are very exhausted with all the . Any ideas?

I should of made myself more clear. We have never had animals in the house until now. With Dad came the dog. It made me laugh when I seen the responses, that was good to laugh. No one knew if the dog was made up or if Dad was messing on the floor. Thank God he is not, but my Dad does pee in his waste can in his room. Can anyone relate to this?? Our caregiver says this is very common. She also says to not take the waste can away or he will pee on the floor...........................Chatty Kathy

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi chattykathy224

oh Lord, what an awful situation!

I've seen this at the care home where my wife now lives - a woman was about to squat in a plant pot and I had to alert staff really quickly.

As far as I can see there are only a few alternatives.

First, to always be at his side, and to act as soon as you see signs. Totally impractical, I know.

Secondly, to introduce him to wearing incontinence pads - this might be totally impossible because he would not recognise he needed them anyhow.

Both of these routes would probably cause him agitation, and he might even turn nasty.

Final plan is to seek advice from social services locally, or for a more helpful reply from someone here on TP.

The one thing that is absolutely not an option is to try and argue that there is no dog, but that he is the one doing it. He will simply not understand that.

Best of luck

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
i thought that as well:confused:
as i read the post it seems that its the dog having accidents not the dad, or am i reading it wrong

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I'm confused too - is this an imaginary dog that the dad is using to blame his little accidents, or is it simply a very old incontinent dog?

If it's the latter then I think it unlikely that it would be allowed to accompany him to a nursing home.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Er.... I think I read it wrongly.....

I read
The dog has accidents in the house and we are beside ourselves with this. We do not have animals in the house
but missed the previous sentence.

I became so used to other [non-existent]people being blamed for 'accidents' that happened at home when I was caring there for my wife, that I instantly connected that with the original post.

Look at it this way, compared to what I was thinking, an old dog is not so bad. Still not good, but not so bad!

Sorry chattykathy224 :eek:

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
Secondly, to introduce him to wearing incontinence pads - this might be totally impossible because he would not recognise he needed them anyhow.[/QUOTE/

this quote made me smile brucie especially when i thought you were refering to the "dog":)

alex

Apr 10, 2006
I'm sorry but i think i've just bust another couple of stitches:eek: ................it hurts so much when i laugh:D When the district nurse comes tomorrow and ask's how i managed to do it this time.............i can blame brucie!:D

Love Alex x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi alex, nice to see you here, but please watch the stitches!

I once was chairman of a conference of about 250 IT professionals and as part of the role, I was the one to make the opening conference address.

I can never memorise these things so tend to try and 'fly' them.

In this case, as I talked, I could sense restlessness in the audience, and then I realised this was a titter of suppressed laughter moving from front to back, like a virus.

In those days I could keep on talking, and at the same time roll back in my mind what I had said. Horrified, I realised I'd said a complete double entendre.

So I did the worst thing I could - instead of just carrying on, I tried to undo it, and just made it worse so the whole thing became total farce.

At another conference, in the days of 35mm slide projectors, my projector started to fling slides high into the air as I advanced the presentation. It was like a pop-up toaster gone mad. Again, audience collapsed in the aisles.

At another conference in Miami, I once helped a walk in thief steal the video projector I was about to use for my presentation. I opened the door so he could walk out with it. He was in overalls that I took to be hotel ones and told me it was broken and a replacement would be provided. The first person to ask a question at the end of my presentation, when I was able to make it, was a member of the Miami police.

The interesting thing is that, at formal conferences, the delegates actually seem to like people who have disasters, and I have always made great friends at these events.

Let this serve as a warning to the Alzheimer's Society, because I'm a speaker at their conference next month http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/News_and_Campaigns/Forthcoming_events/13112006conference.htm

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi Brucie

If i happen to be in London next month, i'd defo call in, but i'd have to make sure my stitches were healed first!................sorry, but i had to go and lie down after reading that last night...........it was soooooooo funny, i was crying with laughter and holding onto my stitches..........

Both of these routes would probably cause him agitation, and he might even turn nasty.

I had visions of you chasing after a dog with an incontinence pad and the dog growling everytime you got near it!.............i was still laughing when i was lying in bed!..........soooooo funny, thanks for that!

Love Alex x