Confusion and Depression

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Just over two weeks ago, Dhiren started taking a higher dose of Trazodone, his anti-depressant.

During the past couple of days it seems to be taking effect and he hasn`t appeared as depressed.

In addition, his confusion has reduced quite considerably and his gait has improved.

I know it`s early days, but has anyone else noticed whether or not depression affects confusion.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Cannot help, re your question. No personal experience.

Glad that something positive is happening though, and hope that it continues.

Sending love n'hugs to you both,

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
I know it`s early days, but has anyone else noticed whether or not depression affects confusion.

Hi, I think that this could possibly be so, as my girlfriend suffers depression. She describes it as been, extremely hard to think straight, concentrate, and make decisions. She hasn't got dementia, but at times wouldn't doubt it. Take Care. Taffy.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Taffy.

Coming from someone who doesn`t have dementia makes it all the more probable.

Love xx

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
hi Sylvia
Before my husband was told he had AD he was treated for what they thought was depression, he was only told it was AD after we mentioned the memory loss.
During this time he would get very confused and down which led them to think it was drepression but combined with the memory loss all added up to AD.
He still takes anti-drepression tablets along with his Aricept but still has days when he gets confused,so I think the time has come for the dose to be increased.
Hope the improvement carries on for you.
All the best Roseann

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Sylvia. Why shouldn't the two be linked. If I can't remember someting I get depressed. If I'm depressed why should it not affect my memory and create confussion ? In Susan's case happy help pills help, but I can't say scientifically it works.
cris

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
In my experience looking after the elderley We do sometimes confuse ourselves with the depression or confusion scenario.As i am told depression starts and confusion follows.Depressed about whats happening in their lives now and confused as to why?Spending time with someone,going back into their history,encouraging them to talk of the past apparentley lifts the depression mood.not saying they won't slip back into it but its a pointer to take them back to a happy time.hope it helps.love elainex

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Before my husband was told he had AD he was treated for what they thought was depression

Same as my mother , So was given ant depression tables , till we was finally told she had AZ .

She describes it as been, extremely hard to think straight, concentrate, make decisions

yes I fell like that, but I have insight into it so recognize it , seeing that depression may be related to an imbalance of natural chemicals between nerve cells in the brain and a tablet can give you back those chemicals , it does lift your mood make you see thing more clearer , as Serotonin is a type of neurotransmitter

with someone with AZ it must work in that way also, like lift the mood up giving back that higher level Serotonin of that chemical in the tablet , if that part of the brain has not yet been affective with the disease.

that just my thoughts on it

During the past couple of days it seems to be taking effect and he hasn`t appeared as depressed.

sound like good news :)

Last edited:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Sylvia,

I am glad Dhiren is on the better side and I agree there must be some connection between confusion and depression.

My Dad too was originally prescibed anti-depressants before being diagnosed with dementia. I don't know which anti-depressants but we felt that they made him more confused and he seemed to 'tune out'.

When diagnosed he was put on Ebixa and the anti-depressants withdrawn. The problem with that was that we didn't know if the improvement was due to the AD drugs or stopping the anti-depressants.

My Dad does still get depressed from time to time, usually when he has some insight into what he can no longer do... drive a car, go to work etc. but generally he is happier since starting the AD drugs. We are reluctant to look at anti-depressants again as we would rather cope with the odd 'down' period and my real Dad than have him withdrawn and confused.

If the depression gets worse we will look at other alternatives. I am glad that the anti-depressants are having a positive effect on Dhiren and maybe we will consider them in a more favourable light. Thankyou.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I was discussing this with our son, who is a Pharmacologist. He said Trazodone is one of the oldest anti-depressants around and has been dismissed by many as too `general`, as there are so many new more specific [better?] anti-depressants on the market.

It really is the luck of the draw with some of these drugs.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Perhaps the doctors prefer Trazodone because it is more general since they don't have the knowledge of how to be more specific in their diagnosis, and therefore in their prescribing?:confused:

Jan is on Trazodone too.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Grannie G said:
He said Trazodone is one of the oldest anti-depressants around and has been dismissed by many as too `general`, as there are so many new more specific [better?] anti-depressants on the market.

Amitriptylene is also one of the early anti-depressants, now not normally prescribed for depression. However, I take one at night for my neck pain, and John has just been put on it to calm his bladder! Talk about multi-purpose!

If it works, it can't be bad! :)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello. Yes David has been on Amitriptylene for over three years - for depression and to calm the bladder!!! No-one has ever mentioned anything else for depression but I do feel that we are soon going to need something 'stronger' (but I fear the side effects).

David has become more confused in the past few weeks but I cannot blame his Amitriptylene as he has been taking it well before the extreme confusion set in. In his case I believe the confusion is just part of the slow deterioration of Alz.

I do value these posts where different medications are discussed as otherwise I would be unaware of other options. Thankfully so far I have no problems with our GP and his ability to prescribe the 'right' medication.
Good night all Beckyjan

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I read that trazodone is primarily used for the treatment of depression. It is sometimes prescribed as a sedative,

Just wondering about the sedative , may that why they give it to people with AZ / dementia that have depression, because it has a sedative in it also .

Last edited:

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Grannie G said:
Just over two weeks ago, Dhiren started taking a higher dose of Trazodone, his anti-depressant.

In addition, his confusion has reduced quite considerably and his gait has improved.

Hi Slyvia

I don't know if depression affects confusion or not, but Mum takes Trazadaone.

Before taking Trazadone she was very confused and hard to manage.
After a few weeks of Trazadone, she was much better. Don't know if it was that because, she was less depressed, she was less confused.

I would guess that because she felt less depressed and agitated, it left more space in her head, brain?? for other things, so therefore less confused.

I only know, that Mum was better (at that time) when taking Trazadone, but unfortunately, there came a time when it wasn't working, so the dosage was upped.
Again it made a difference and she was better for a while, then the professionals prescribed quietiapine as well as Trazadone, which worked for a while. Then the quietapine was upped, which worked for a while.

Now nothing seems to be working, although she is being tried on risperadol? soon
Hope it's for another while.:(

Sorry to be so downbeat, I don't suppose this is what TP is about.
My experience of Trazadone is that it works for a while, but everyone is different. Hope it keeps on working for a long while for Dhiren

Alfjess

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Don`t apologize Alfjess, TP is about what anyone has to say.

I`m well aware drugs only have a short term benefit, but it certainly makes life easier for the duration.

Love xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Skye said:
Amitriptylene is also one of the early anti-depressants
Jan was put on amitriptylene as her first medication about 12 years ago to help with her 'depression', way before she was officially diagnosed with dementia.

As is common, all the experts believed that, because of her age, it was depression at that time.

The neurologist who prescribed it said he used it for migraine, and Nina's Mum uses it for the same reason.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I was given Amytryptolin 40 years ago! But it's horses for courses. If it works don't fix it!

I think it highly likely there is a connection between depression and confusion and have been told as much at some time.

There certainly are more modern antidepressants, however even the 'latest' name may have some side effects. I'm thinking of Prozac which just made me very sleepy, something I found infuriating! Now Prozac has been superceded in moderness ( is that a word?). Citalopram, or as it is often sourced from Spain, Escitalopram, has been beneficial for me but it made me feel dizzy for the first two weeks. Does make me feel more focussed and less depressed now though. Love Deborah xx

Last edited: