Confusion after a nap.

edie

Jan 29, 2008
Sometimes when my husband wakes up after a short nap, he is very very confused and thinks I'm playing a joke on him. He thinks he is in a different house and there is no convincing him otherwise. He gets very upset and it takes a couple of hours before he calms down and then he is very sorry for upsetting me. I can't stop him takings naps, he 'cat naps' at least once a day and I did use to welcome this because I could then get on with something else but now I dread him cat napping.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Edie!

This sounds so familiar!!

My husband has..not cat naps..I'd call them Lion naps!!!

He is usually very disorientated and confused when he does wake up and it can take some time before he's back "with me"

He also gets upset about the amount of time he spends asleep..I try to reassure him it doesn't matter.

He has never accused me of playing tricks on him..but these are the times when I have to be very careful how I handle things..because he is so confused..

Am sure you'll have lots of response from others finding the same problem..

Love Gigi xx

Scoop

Nov 20, 2006
Yep, dad is the same, worse still he'll fall asleep and obviously start dreaming, when he wakes the dream has become real life and he "wasn't" sleeping :mad:;) Makes for a very tricky time, although Dad seems to have moved on now and doesn't sleep so much - but that doesn't help Mum at all either.

He doen't think there is a joke being played but trying to convince him he is confused because he has been asleep is an unwinable argument!

Scott

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent

Yes Edie, My husband is another one who is confused after a nap. He is often unaware of where he is, isn`t sure whether it`s day or night, whether he`s been to bed, ready for bed or just got up.
It doesn`t take my husband as long as it takes yours to come round, half an hour is enough for him, but even though so many sufferers have similar problems they are affected in different ways.

If you are really worried, especially as he gets so upset, why not consult his doctor.

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
This is exactly what my dad does. Waking up sends him into mass confusion sometimes.

He woke up 30 mins ago and came and asked me where my mum is, and I had to tell him again that she died 2 weeks ago.

That is something I am finding especially hard to deal with, having to tell him again and again that she has gone.

Am waiting for someone to come and wake me up from what seems to be the biggest living nightmare of my life.:(

Beverley

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Oh Beverley,

That's so tough..
Am waiting for someone to come and wake me up from what seems to be the biggest living nightmare of my life.

I haven't got any magic remedy..wish I did..

You'll be ok..everything will work out..dad is missing mum as you are..it's a period of grieving and adjustment for you all.

I have no advice..not been in your situation exactly..take your time and try not to panic..and know that we're all here and sending love and hugs and things...:)

It will become easier..

Lots of love Gigi xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
When my father pass away , it was like she had forgotten he had died , she never talk , never mention a word about him that went on for mouths , she just use to watch the same video all the time .

God did I want her to ask me about him, but she just look at me with blank eyes . I don't know if it was the AZ medication , but after taking that she seem to come out of what ever she was in .

My mother does that , after waking during the day she thinks its night time, morning , forgetting she just eaten, wanting food Now . but never longer then a few min .thats why I encourage her to go to day Center . other wise her body clock sleep patten is all over the place .

I done it years ago, as I was working very long hours days night. I woke up late evening rush around around getting my clothes ready thinking I was late for work, then my daughter said to me it 10 PM at night its your day off !!

Last edited:

edie

Jan 29, 2008
Confused

Hello Edie!

This sounds so familiar!!

My husband has..not cat naps..I'd call them Lion naps!!!

He is usually very disorientated and confused when he does wake up and it can take some time before he's back "with me"

He also gets upset about the amount of time he spends asleep..I try to reassure him it doesn't matter.

He has never accused me of playing tricks on him..but these are the times when I have to be very careful how I handle things..because he is so confused..

Love Gigi xx

Thank you Gigi fgor replying, it does sound familiar to our circumstances, yes I have to be careful how I treat my husband after a cat/lion nap, like treading on broken glass, thank you for helping me, it is reassuring to know that I am not alone, thank you again.

edie

Jan 29, 2008
Confused after a nap

Yep, dad is the same, worse still he'll fall asleep and obviously start dreaming, when he wakes the dream has become real life and he "wasn't" sleeping :mad:;) Makes for a very tricky time, although Dad seems to have moved on now and doesn't sleep so much - but that doesn't help Mum at all either.

He doen't think there is a joke being played but trying to convince him he is confused because he has been asleep is an unwinable argument!

Scott

Thank you Scott for replying, it is comfort to know we are not alone in this situation. I know what you mean about the fact that your dad does not sleep so much, not helping your mum. thank you again for replying.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
when he wakes the dream has become real life

This quote from Scott applies to my husband too. It is very stressful. I find the overnight 'dreams' are more serious and therefore harder to handle in the morning. The daytime naps are easier to bring back to reality - but none of it is easy.

Best wishes Jan

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dreams become real

Hi all
Ron has the same troubled dreams, at night they are very real to him. Daytime dreams, after naps - well hard to wake him up somtimes, such a deep sleep, and then confusion. What he has just dreamed becomes reality, and it takes a while to bring him round.
Why is this ???
Barb

edie

Jan 29, 2008
Confused after a nap

Yes Edie, My husband is another one who is confused after a nap. He is often unaware of where he is, isn`t sure whether it`s day or night, whether he`s been to bed, ready for bed or just got up.
It doesn`t take my husband as long as it takes yours to come round, half an hour is enough for him, but even though so many sufferers have similar problems they are affected in different ways.

If you are really worried, especially as he gets so upset, why not consult his doctor.

Thank you Grannie G for replying, it's a comfort to know that we are not alone. We did call his doctor out last time but thank you so much for replying.

edie

Jan 29, 2008
Confused after a nap

This quote from Scott applies to my husband too. It is very stressful. I find the overnight 'dreams' are more serious and therefore harder to handle in the morning. The daytime naps are easier to bring back to reality - but none of it is easy.

Best wishes Jan

Thank you Becky Jan for replying,it's a comfort to know that we are not alone, Yes, none of it is easy and I find it quite unbelievable how life is going for us. Still I keep trying to think that there are people worse off than ourselves. Thank you for replying. best wishes edie.

edie

Jan 29, 2008
Dreams become real.

Hi all
Ron has the same troubled dreams, at night they are very real to him. Daytime dreams, after naps - well hard to wake him up somtimes, such a deep sleep, and then confusion. What he has just dreamed becomes reality, and it takes a while to bring him round.
Why is this ???
Barb

I know what you mean Barb, I find all this quite unbelievable. I don't know the answer, I only know that it is a sympton which a lot of people share. Take care, best wishes edie.

edie

Jan 29, 2008
Confused

This is exactly what my dad does. Waking up sends him into mass confusion sometimes.

He woke up 30 mins ago and came and asked me where my mum is, and I had to tell him again that she died 2 weeks ago.

That is something I am finding especially hard to deal with, having to tell him again and again that she has gone.

Am waiting for someone to come and wake me up from what seems to be the biggest living nightmare of my life.:(

Beverley

Oh Beverley, you are having a particularly hard time at the moment and I don't know what to say to help you, I wish I could help you a bit more than this, but you know that we are thinking about you, take care, best wishes, edie.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
There do seem to be a lot of us dealing with the same issue!

Nobody ever warns you that these things may happen ..so it is a bit scary..I'm "assuming" it's part of the disease process..but have never had that confirmed by an expert..

Does anyone else know any more about this?

Gigi xx

edie

Jan 29, 2008
Confused after a nap

When my father pass away , it was like she had forgotten he had died , she never talk , never mention a word about him that went on for mouths , she just use to watch the same video all the time .

God did I want her to ask me about him, but she just look at me with blank eyes . I don't know if it was the AZ medication , but after taking that she seem to come out of what ever she was in .

My mother does that , after waking during the day she thinks its night time, morning , forgetting she just eaten, wanting food Now . but never longer then a few min .thats why I encourage her to go to day Center . other wise her body clock sleep patten is all over the place .

I done it years ago, as I was working very long hours days night. I woke up late evening rush around around getting my clothes ready thinking I was late for work, then my daughter said to me it 10 PM at night its your day off !!

Thank you for replying Margarita, It is a comfort to know that we are not alone in this. I also think the Day Center is a great idea, my husband goes to that also. Thank you again for replying, take care, best wishes, edie.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheree.fielder1