Confusion about covid 19

JJVH

Feb 13, 2020
My husband with vascular dementia is very confused. He wakes me very early in the morning and three times he has wanted to pack up and leave the house with all our belongings. I can only think that he is wanting us to leave before the virus catches us. He doesn't realise exactly what the virus is and all his worries are magnified. Pension is a legitimate worry but he doesn't realise that hopefully matters will one day improve. He has got worse with toileting, handwashingnd and dressing. I try to be patient but feel angry and exasperated when he does things that are blatantly wrong. I am not so kind as some other carers and don't always like myself. I can hear people saying let him be let him do what he wants but it is easier said than done. Be strong at this difficult time.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello JJVH, welcome to Dementia Talking Point, you'll find plenty of advice and support here. Has your husband's confusion started suddenly? It could be that the current situation is making him anxious, and he may be picking up on things he's watching on TV. Avoiding watching too much news might help, although it's not easy at the moment, and maybe a DVD or switching to a channel without news might help to ease his anxiety. He could also possibly have a urine infection as these can come on suddenly and cause increased confusion so it may be worth having a chat with the GP if his behaviour has changed suddenly. It's a difficult time for everyone but keep posting, and you might also find it useful to take a look at the sub-forum which is specifically for coronavirus related posts:

Last edited:

JJVH

Feb 13, 2020
Wow. What a good article. I do feel that I am not quite as saint like as I would wish to be but I must try. I think a lot of people are going to have relationship problems at this time. At least we have a valid excuse!