Confused...

Emma marie

Jul 9, 2013
Hi,
I'm Emma and i am new to this site, i am 15 and my dad has been forgetful for the past two years, the doctor's have always said that it is just 'stress' but we have received the news that he has front lobe dementia. I am confused by this diagnosis because i have never heard of this type of dementia and my dad is only 50!i could really do with some support right now as i have my exams to sit very soon however i am very stressed.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello Emma and welcome to Talking Point. There are a number of people on here who have experience of this type of dementia and I'm sure they will be able to help you.
In the meantime, if you look at the top of the screen, you will see the Alzheimer's Society Factsheets Heading. If you click on that, you will find a list of the AS factsheets and there is one on Frontal lobe dementia which might helpyou understand it a bit better.

You must be so devastated by this diagnosis and I do hope that you will keep coming on here for support. You are so young and you must be such a lovely daughter to be trying to understand and help your dad by coming here. x

Emma marie

Jul 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, i will look at the page as i have not been given much information on my dad's dementia.I find it difficult that i do not know anyone who is in the same situation as me as of yet due to my agex

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Hi Emma,

this is a MASSIVE shock for you and you'll need some time to try and absorb the information.

Welcome to TP - sorry you've had to find yourself here but there's always loads of advice to be found. There is a section for younger people with dementia, and their carers here:-

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?27-Younger-people-with-dementia-and-their-carers

look forward to 'seeing' you around - there will always be someone who can help or if not, listen to you and offer support xxxx

Tinkerbelle258

Nov 13, 2012
N E Lincolnshire
Confused

Hi Emma,
I am so sorry for what you are going through. It's an awful situation and I'm sure that you will find many people on here who can help regarding your fathers diagnosis.
My main concern is that you get all the help and support you need at this time.
You mentioned exams. One thing you must do is to tell your teachers, tutors of your situation. There are things that can be done to help you. Please don't try to keep this to yourself, believe me, we've all tried it somewhere along the line, and we've all found that we need help and support.
Do keep in touch with this page, there is lots of support and advice here. You need never be alone.

Forestridge

Feb 10, 2013
Emma I am so very sorry to hear this. I have a daughter a year younger than you and was talkin to the nurse at the Memory Clinic the other day. She was saying there is support for people your age to help deal with this. I think it probably varies from area to area a bit but she was saying about people coming into schools from the Alzheimer's Society I think.

You'll get a lot of support here but if you feel you need more, does your school have a Pastoral support worker ? I'm sure they could arrange some support for you if you wanted them to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet