confused with memory clinic

Martin66

Oct 12, 2018
Hi
I have been having memory problems for a while including not remembering names of relatives and friends
including close family , thinking skill problems at work which is very stressful

I am 52 and was diagnosed with hemiplegic migrane in 2014 after a couple of emergency hospital visits,which were first diagnosed as stroke, since then I have been suffering from severe memory problems and what I can only descibe as slow thinking, my wife has noticed my problems so I visited GP who refererred me to Memory clinic, after initial testing I was asked to attend a further 2 times for more tests. I also had a MRI which was compared to the MRI in 2014 with no significant changes in the latest scan and no significant abnormality observed,
the memory clinic has just written to me and stated I scored below the cut off point on 4 effort tests over 2 days so all the other tests are invalid and discharged me back to my GP , they also said they believe I have mild
Cognitive difficulties causing my day to day frustration and stress , the recommendation was I visit IAPT
clinic ?? for adjustment disorder to Hemiplegic migrane,

So I feel very confused and I have wasted everybody's time at the memory clinic evan though I did try my best at the tests and struggling every day with memory problems

Do you think it is possible to get another opinion

try again

Jun 21, 2018
If you can. If no one will listen and you have the spare cash it might be worth going for a private consultation. I take it you have had blood tests to rule out any diffiencies. Are you sleeping well, anxious, depressed. If you are worried stick to your guns.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Martin66, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list. If you are interested in this, clicking the following link will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things explaining MCI(Mild Cognitive Impairment) and explaining how a GP can help etc.
The GP may be able to assist further as getting a diagnosis can take quite a while - in my wife's case it took a couple of years and she too was first diagnosed with MCI.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Martin66 and welcome to Talking Point.

If your scan doesnt show any change since 2014 then I doubt that you will get another diagnosis at the moment, wherever you go. Please do not think that you have wasted everybodies time. A diagnosis of MCI often precedes a diagnosis of dementia - I believe that 50% of people with MCI go on to develop dementia within a year.

Is your wife seeing deterioration? If so, it would help the doctors if she could write a letter explaining the differences that she is seeing on a "he used to........... and now he............. " type of format.

Try and use this time to sort out your future - write your will and organise POA, so that you can settle that in your mind and not have to worry about this later. This is a good thing to do even if you turn out not to have dementia - I have written my will and sorted out POA and I dont have dementia at all.

Eventually, if it is dementia it will become obvious to everyone, so try not to worry about it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Last edited:

Martin66

Oct 12, 2018
If you can. If no one will listen and you have the spare cash it might be worth going for a private consultation. I take it you have had blood tests to rule out any diffiencies. Are you sleeping well, anxious, depressed. If you are worried stick to your guns.
Hi yes I have had Blood tests thanks, yes I have been worried for a while I have very busy job the I have noticed for a while I am struggling with pretty basic things I could normally have done with my eyes shut and making daily silly mistakes

Martin66

Oct 12, 2018
Hello @Martin66 and welcome to Talking Point.

If your scan doesnt show any change since 2014 then I doubt that you will get another diagnosis at the moment, wherever you go. Please do not think that you have wasted everybodies time. A diagnosis of MCI often precedes a diagnosis of dementia - I believe that 50% of people with MCI go on to develop dementia within a year.

Is your wife seeing deterioration? If so, it would help the doctors if she could write a letter explaining the differences that she is seeing on a "he used to........... and now he............. " type of format.

Try and use this time to sort out your future - write your will and organise POA, so that you can settle that in your mind and not have to worry about this later. This is a good thing to do even if you turn out not to have dementia - I have written my will and sorted out POA and I dont have dementia at all.

Eventually, if it is dementia it will become obvious to everyone, so try not to worry about it.
Yes my wife has noticed a big difference in my mood and general abilities, and did spend 20 mins alone in the memory clinic with the the man conducting the tests

I will see my GP when I can get a appointment, thanks you

RainbowsArePretty

Oct 29, 2018
Hi
I have been having memory problems for a while including not remembering names of relatives and friends
including close family , thinking skill problems at work which is very stressful

I am 52 and was diagnosed with hemiplegic migrane in 2014 after a couple of emergency hospital visits,which were first diagnosed as stroke, since then I have been suffering from severe memory problems and what I can only descibe as slow thinking, my wife has noticed my problems so I visited GP who refererred me to Memory clinic, after initial testing I was asked to attend a further 2 times for more tests. I also had a MRI which was compared to the MRI in 2014 with no significant changes in the latest scan and no significant abnormality observed,
the memory clinic has just written to me and stated I scored below the cut off point on 4 effort tests over 2 days so all the other tests are invalid and discharged me back to my GP , they also said they believe I have mild
Cognitive difficulties causing my day to day frustration and stress , the recommendation was I visit IAPT
clinic ?? for adjustment disorder to Hemiplegic migrane,

So I feel very confused and I have wasted everybody's time at the memory clinic evan though I did try my best at the tests and struggling every day with memory problems

Do you think it is possible to get another opinion

Do be honest, I noticed changes with my Dad and we went to the memory clinic and they said he did "fantastic" in the clinic and that he didn't have an issue. He clung onto that but I knew there were other issues as it is not purely memory with my Dad, it is behaviour too. He also spent £47k of savings and wracked up debt to a scam and other "investments" so I knew to keep pushing.

My advice (although I feel unqualified) is to seek further advice if you feel there is more to it, trust your instincts and that of your wife. Very important, I believe. My father also forgets the names of his two grand children and forgets appointments and places but did great on the tests. I'm in support of you exploring further until you feel satisfied. I hope this helps you, in some way?

Last edited: