Confused with different groups etc.

Bemaud

Mar 10, 2021
Hi, I have just joined this forum this morning, and been reading through a few of your concerns etc.

My husband was diagnosed with alzheimers just over 2 years ago of course it had been smouldering for a year prior to his diagnosis.

The hardest thing I found was being given different information to get in contact with different organisations. All I wanted was to be given one source of help instead of confusing me with different groups. My family also, bless them, kept telling me to call these people, join this organisation. It was getting so overwhelming on all counts.

I got a call from a lady from the Alzheimers society a few weeks ago advising me that Care in the Community asked her to call to see if we were coping on getting meds, food etc during lockdown. That was the best call I could have had, as I explained I'd not yet been in touch with the Alzheimers society and there and then she said she would get me registered. I have now had a call from a young man who gave me all these links. So now I can talk to you all about my fears etc. Stuff even I don't want to discuss with my family. Don't get me wrong, they are very supportive.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Bemaud
a warm welcome to DTP
I'm really glad that you have already found the Society to be so helpful
and that you've now joined us here

you're right, the forums are a safe place to come to get anything off your chest as members understand and will offer sympathy and useful suggestions

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Bemaud and welcome, I'm glad that you've now found us. It's hard being a carer and it can be a minefield trying to find the support that you need. This is a really friendly and supportive group, and a safe environment where people can share their experiences and fears or just vent if they need to so please keep posting.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi @Bemaud and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

So glad you have joined us and I’m sure you will get all the support you want either just to chat or ask any questions. No subject re Dementia is ignored by us, we have all at sometime experienced something we thought was beyond tolerance.

I think we all also understand how we try not to burden our family, I for one made light of many problems because I didn’t want to upset our children. Here you can let it all out and also realise you are no longer alone. So please keep posting and take advantage of the help available.

Bemaud

Mar 10, 2021
Hi @Bemaud and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

So glad you have joined us and I’m sure you will get all the support you want either just to chat or ask any questions. No subject re Dementia is ignored by us, we have all at sometime experienced something we thought was beyond tolerance.

I think we all also understand how we try not to burden our family, I for one made light of many problems because I didn’t want to upset our children. Here you can let it all out and also realise you are no longer alone. So please keep posting and take advantage of the help available.
Hi Jaymor, that's exactly it, trying not to burden the family, even though you struggle. It's that thing where you can't be seen to fail and need help.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
There are some things you just can't say, even to your nearest and dearest, but people hear really understand.

We don't judge and we're always here to listen. Maybe we can even help sometimes! There's always someone here who has been through what you're going through.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Bemaud. I remember how confused and lost I felt when my late husband was first diagnosed with dementia. It was only when I found this forum that I started to make sense of anything - and the shared experiences here helped me prepare for and better understand what might follow. I am glad that you have found us too.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hello @Bemaud i was also contacted by alzheimers dementia navigator by phone as well and she has kept in contact all year. my husband has vascular dementia diagnosed last march just before the first lockdown. he had it a year before that so 2 years in. where he has been shielding for most of the year[copd] so help has had to be limited. its only this lady that has told us about this forum which is so helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. im glad i found it and my lady.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi @Bemaud and welcome. What I like about TP is that there are places where non members can access for help and information and others, where member can chat or vent or ask questions plus everyone is helpful and supportive - no trolling!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968