Confused! Do I get a vaccine or not?!

Seaholly

Oct 12, 2020
A fortnight ago, I had an email from the Admiral Nurse. She'd forwarded an email from the NHS to say carers were eligible for a vaccination if the person they cared for received Attendance Allowance. There was a link to book....
So I pressed it and found a choice of 3 vaccination centres, none with available appointments.

I decided to leave it until my week off. I've tried again and the information on the website seems to have changed. I am now being told that unless I have a paid job as a carer, or I claim Carers' Allowance and can bring proof of one or the other, I am not eligible. In fact, it clearly states, "unpaid carers are not eligible".

I tried to ring the number on the website for more clarification and it referred me back to the website!
I tried to ring the number on the forwarded NHS email and nobody picked up (and there was no answerphone)

Do I just wait now until they get round to 40 to 50 year olds?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Seaholly Does your GP know that you are a carer? I don't fall into the current age groups that are being prioritised, and I don't get carer's allowance, but on my GP notes I am shown as a carer for mum and I received a text last week from the GP surgery inviting me for a vaccination with a link to book an appointment. Might be worth contacting your surgery to check that your records show that you are a carer. I don’t know if you’ve seen this thread but it seems that obtaining a vaccination appointment as an unpaid carer varies:

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
I have an appointment for a vaccination this Thursday. My surgery have it recorded that I am a unpaid carer for my husband who is extremely clinically vulnerable.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
It seems really inconsistent @Seaholly . I called my GP a couple of weeks ago to check I was registered as a carer on their records. They confirmed I was and I would be in Group 6, and they were doing Group 6 now BUT they were doing those in group 6 with medical conditions first. I said that's absolutely fine, I'm in no rush but I just wanted to check I was registered. She said yes, and we'll be contacting you very very shortly. But 2 weeks later, I've not heard, so who knows. It sounds like your area has changed their policy and maybe mine has too? I did hear that vaccine supplies were lower until mid march so maybe that has something to do with it too.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i think because there were extra shielders brought online from last week that werent there before. i was put on the shielders list last week although because im housebound, ihave not received my first jab yet. got a letter to say make appt and obviously cant even though i have diabetes and my husbands full time carer. i have emailed the practice manager so she can sort it out. its taken 4-5 wks so far for a simple blood test so wont hold my breath

Life

Oct 12, 2017
I’m a unpaid carer (and registered with GP,) but not eligible for Carer’s Allowance and haven’t been offered a vaccine yet. I think that they have a lot of vulnerable people in group 6 which they are prioritising. However, the local carers group has just sent out an email asking permission to pass carers details to the local NHS to ensure those carers who haven’t already been vaccinated in groups 1 to 5 are included in group 6.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
just an update, my gp has given permission for me to be listed as housebound on the doctors list so will get my jab at one point. i thought carers were going to be in group 6

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I had a letter today as I am 61 years it says I can book online but nearest place at the moment is 31 miles away. I don't want to travel that far so will wait until something local comes up. I'm assuming I just need to check daily until can get it closer to home.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I had my vaccine today, I got a txt from my gp last Thursday inviting me to book, I did and earliest appointment was today, so I went to my nearest vaccination centre (3 miles) and had the vaccine.....extremely well organised with no waiting at all.

I am 56, and in group 6.... from what I’ve read I think different areas are at different stages in who they are inviting.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I had a letter today as I am 61 years it says I can book online but nearest place at the moment is 31 miles away. I don't want to travel that far so will wait until something local comes up. I'm assuming I just need to check daily until can get it closer to home.
This could save your life! My suggestion would be to get on that bus and travel. Surely getting protected is more important than a bit of inconvenience?

Last edited by a moderator:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
This could save your life! Do get on that bus and travel. Surely getting protected is more important than a bit of inconvenience?
i think where she has been so ill and in hospital as well and only just getting over it all, i think its sensible for@Wildflowerlady to maybe wait for a vaccine date more local to her. a jab is important but so are health concerns that could be made worse by travelling that sort of distance

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My understanding is that the letter has come from the NHS who only offer appointments to central hubs which can be some distance away. The local hubs are run by GPs and tend to text or phone people to make an appointment. These two systems run side by side, some people get both a letter and a text, others get just one contact. Where ever you have the jab, the details are entered on a central data base but not necessarily straight away.

I for instance had a text from my GP and went to a local rugby club, a friends had a letter from the NHS and her nearest centre was the Etihad Football Stadium over 25 miles away. But two days later she got a text from her GP and was then able to cancel her first appointment to make a local one at the same venue as me. It’s rather confusing!

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
This could save your life! My suggestion would be to get on that bus and travel. Surely getting protected is more important than a bit of inconvenience?
Protection is only limited though? Will only stop you getting severe symptoms, not contracting it or passing it on..

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I am under 60 but registered as carer with GP. I had a text Fri morning offering me a choice of 3 appointments that day only, at the local centre otherwise I would have to wait. So I went and got vaccinated. One of the staff there told me that the local GP surgeries were contacting patients in the next group down to fill in slots with late cancellations.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Protection is only limited though? Will only stop you getting severe symptoms, not contracting it or passing it on..
I consider myself fortunate to have been vaccinated today, after receiving my letter and booking in at a local major pharmacy, and am very grateful to all those who contributed to making that possible

I'll gladly take the the level of protection it provides, knowing the devastation this virus has wreaked on so many, and also accept the responsibility to take every precaution I can not to catch or pass it on in, knowing there are so many others doing the same, to help us all be as well and safe as is possible

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I now have an appointment for my first Covid vaccination on the 10th march so didn't have to wait long. I just looked on NHS website a few times during the day and less than 48 hrs later a place less than 10 mins away came up. My partner had his pzfier vaccination a few weeks ago at a different place and was contacted by his GP surgery to go there as he is older and more vulnerable. I was able to book both of my appointments.
Like @Shedrech I am very grateful to everyone that is helping organise these vaccination events and administer the vaccine. If I had been in the position of having the vaccination sooner but do understand this was the criteria set as others are more vulnerable than myself perhaps I would not been so unwell and needed hospitalisation. I did not meet the criteria being 61 years with no underlying health conditions but this virus still affected me very badly leaving me on medication now for prevention of further clots for a few months. I'll take whatever protection it can offer me too.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I now have an appointment for my first Covid vaccination on the 10th march so didn't have to wait long. I just looked on NHS website a few times during the day and less than 48 hrs later a place less than 10 mins away came up. My partner had his pzfier vaccination a few weeks ago at a different place and was contacted by his GP surgery to go there as he is older and more vulnerable. I was able to book both of my appointments.
Like @Shedrech I am very grateful to everyone that is helping organise these vaccination events and administer the vaccine. If I had been in the position of having the vaccination sooner but do understand this was the criteria set as others are more vulnerable than myself perhaps I would not been so unwell and needed hospitalisation. I did not meet the criteria being 61 years with no underlying health conditions but this virus still affected me very badly leaving me on medication now for prevention of further clots for a few months. I'll take whatever protection it can offer me too.
im glad you have a date now that is closer to you. i waiting for mine. i should be in cat 6 with other carers and those with underlying illnesses with my diabetes. i was put on the new shielding list 2 weeks ago and had a letter inviting me to book an appointment. am on the housebound list at the doctors so will have them come to me. i hope i get it soon.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
As I’m in school every day, I’m very happy to have the level of protection it provides & very grateful to those who have worked so hard to make it happen so quickly.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
im glad you have a date now that is closer to you. i waiting for mine. i should be in cat 6 with other carers and those with underlying illnesses with my diabetes. i was put on the new shielding list 2 weeks ago and had a letter inviting me to book an appointment. am on the housebound list at the doctors so will have them come to me. i hope i get it soon.
I hope you get it soon too @jennifer1967.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I also got a letter but found the nearest place was over 30 miles away. Not only is it really difficult to get to, I have no transport and I'm afraid I will not risk public transport yet. Plus it would take me a whole day to get there and back, not counting any waiting time. (And considerable cost!)

I'm not at significant risk and don't go out much anyway so I'll just wait and hope the GP offers me something nearer.