Concil Tax Exemption.

Willowlady

Jan 3, 2021
Bedfordshire
My mum is in a care home, but still owns her property and is self funding her care. Is she entitled to an exemption on her council tax, and if so does that mean her buckets stop being emptied? Thank you.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
When MIL went into a care home she had been getting the disregard. When we told them the house was now empty and why, we were informed that when someone goes into care there is no Council Tax to pay whilst it is waiting to be sold. Her bins were emptied as normal.

Willowlady

Jan 3, 2021
Bedfordshire
When MIL went into a care home she had been getting the disregard. When we told them the house was now empty and why, we were informed that when someone goes into care there is no Council Tax to pay whilst it is waiting to be sold. Her bins were emptied as normal.
Thank you. Is the disregard specific to the county you live in or is across all counties? I know previously, our council crawled out of other things.?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
No tax, remember to inform council

"Some homes do not get a Council Tax bill for as long as they stay empty. They include homes:

• of someone in prison (except for not paying a fine or Council Tax)
  • of someone who’s moved into a care home or hospital
  • that have been repossessed
  • that cannot be lived in by law, for example if they’re derelict
  • that are empty because they’ve been compulsory purchased and will be demolished"

I think bins will still be collected although if house empty the bins should also be empty.

Don't forget to inform insurers that the property is unoccupied.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
The gov website says 'people with severe mental impairment are not included in council tax calculations'. Some councils backdate to date of diagnosis (in our case 4 1/2 years) , some to date AA Is granted and some to date you apply but none should 'get out of it' completely.