Concerns

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
My dad had vascular dementia so i guess having been his main carer i know more than most symptoms
I had a mini stroke last year
It has become noticeable to others i call things by wrong name . Forget what things are called . Struggle to find words
I cant help but worry i too have the start of vascular dementia

I refused a test a few months ago as i didnt want to know
Now i wonder is thats just stupidity or fear?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Talking Point mobile app

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello grobertson62

No one would blame you if it`s fear.

However if your symptoms are stroke related rather than dementia related, it really would be wise to get some medical advice.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You can't treat what you can't diagnose, so get those tests done ASAP. It's always best if we face our worries head on.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Sometimes after a stroke or TIA your speech can be affected so I'd advise going to see your GP to discuss this area of concern and to possibly ask for a referral back to a hospital neurologist for yourself. I've had a stroke myself plus two TIA's and am a volunteer helper at our local stroke club; we have quite a few members whose speech has been affected by their stroke. Sometimes it happens to me, too.

And even if your problem is the very early signs of dementia then surely once you get a formal diagnosis you can ask your GP for help and advice in that direction, too?

I'm sure you haven't got anything to worry about but do please go see your GP - if only to put your mind at rest and to find out exactly where you stand.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi grobertson62
I'll bet anyone who has cared for someone with dementia and found themselves in your situation would think twice - the thing is, what if there is another reason for the symptoms you describe? - you'll kick yourself if you eventually go see your GP and there's something else going on which can be dealt with - whatever is happening, worrying about it just makes it feel worse, so you may as well find out either way
let us know how you go on
best wishes

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hi
Hope you get to the dr.and they can help.
Do you have a stroke association club in your area? Also,a referral to a speech and language therapist may help with the speech- they can help with word replacement suggestions etc to try and manage a conversation.it could just be you are worn out and your brain needs a rest
Thinking of you
Ros
My dad had vascular dementia so i guess having been his main carer i know more than most symptoms
I had a mini stroke last year
It has become noticeable to others i call things by wrong name . Forget what things are called . Struggle to find words
I cant help but worry i too have the start of vascular dementia

I refused a test a few months ago as i didnt want to know

Sent from my SM-G930F using Talking Point mobile app

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
You should speak to your GP. Your concerns maybe unfounded however if it is VD, early diagnoses may slow the onset.
morning merky587
grobertson62 has already arranged an appointment

with Vascular Dementia, sadly, there aren't yet any meds that will affect the VD itself - there is for Alzheimer's, that may be what you are thinking of