Concerns with Mum and as a result also Dad, any advice welcome!

rwmlb1978

Mar 4, 2015
Hi, i am new to this forum and looking for some advice.

As a family we have all noticed a marked change in our mothers memory, this is mainly related to short term memories. We have recently all been to visit to voice our concerns and try to convince her that she should see a doctor. She has a mistrust of doctors after reading lots of the alternative health 'literature' on the internet, and therefore there is no way she was going, and also she repeatedly says that she doesnt need to anyway.

Alongside this problem there is the ongoing problem of my father becoming the sole carer for her, and the stresses that this is putting him under, hence the visit to try to assist in any way that we as a family can. She cannot see that he is helping her at all ,and sometimes even says that he has 'moved' things to make her think she is losing it etc. We are a united front and understand how important this is but without a formal diagnosis from a GP there is no help available to take the pressure off.

We were very hopeful that our visit would be the instigator of some sort of action, but unfortunately this has now turned out to be a dead end as we are just upsetting things in the house even worse. This post is for some support and advice from people who may have any ideas or experience of the same.

We are all very concerned about both my mum and dads health and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Colyn

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Would it be helpful if your father went to see his gp and tell all, book a double appointment if you have to. If your mother won't see a doctor then concentrate on your fathers health. In time your mother may just come round to seeing her gp.

Not easy I know, took us ages to get mum to see her gp and we made it clear that he was not to mention the dreaded dementia word or we would never get her back there.

rwmlb1978

Mar 4, 2015
Would it be helpful if your father went to see his gp and tell all, book a double appointment if you have to. If your mother won't see a doctor then concentrate on your fathers health. In time your mother may just come round to seeing her gp.

Not easy I know, took us ages to get mum to see her gp and we made it clear that he was not to mention the dreaded dementia word or we would never get her back there.

Thanks Tin for your reply, that is our next step i have arranged my Fathers appointment for tomorrow with a new doctor that has been recommended to me, so fingers crossed he will feel he can talk openly and we can start some sort of process to help him out.
It is very hard to see him being an absolute guardian angel, and taking over most things out of necessity, but getting the brunt of the anger etc.

Fingers crossed,
Colyn