Concerns over my mums memory

Osolane

Aug 19, 2015
I started to notice a change in my mum's memory about 18 months ago and arranged to go with her to see her GP. The GP did a quick test (ten questions), which she only failed on the name & address!! I pushed for further help through the GP and in December 14 she had a visit at home from a Memory Nurse who, after talking with mum for over a hour stated my mum has no signs of the onset of dementia but was suffering from anxiety and to stop and take deep breaths when she felt she needed to!!! Since then things have slowly got worse, forgetting what day it is, setting the table for four people and she lives with her partner, change in her personality and several other changes too. My main concern is we are not getting anywhere fast to get answers and to cap it all my mum phoned yesterday asking where the little boys where as she had cooked tea - my boys are 24 & 22 and were both at work yesterday!! I tried to explain but she was adamant that they should be with her. She is on medication for blood pressure Atonanol 100mg and also thyroxine 25mcg and I did worry that the memory issues could be the Atonanol but after speaking to the GP she advised it was highly unlikely. Mum has had all the necessary blood tests and CT to check for any mini strokes but everything came back clear and I just don't know who to turn to next!! Adverts on telly advise that if you suspect issues with memory to get it checked out but I just can't get the help. We are now waiting for a mental health support worker to assess mum and see what they think - so frustrated!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Osolane and welcome to TP :)

I think you are in a really difficult position. I am struck by the fact that the GP only asked ten memory questions. As you know, if your mum does have dementia, it is about so much more than this.

Can I suggest that you keep a note of problems / issues as they arise, especially functional things like laying the table? Keep as full a list as you can, write it down and then go back to the GP to discuss your concerns. It may be best if you can drop your list off at the surgery before the appointment. The doctor may well not discuss your mother's health with you directly due to patient confidentiality, but they should take on board what you say.

Also please don't rule out conditions like anxiety or depression. These can cause symptoms like poor memory, that may mimic dementia. It's good that your mum will see a mental health support worker. Hopefully the health team will soon establish the cause of her problems and when you know this, you'll be better placed to help her.

I hope all goes well for you, it is so worrying, I know. Good luck :)

Lindy xx

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I started to notice a change in my mum's memory about 18 months ago and arranged to go with her to see her GP. The GP did a quick test (ten questions), which she only failed on the name & address!! I pushed for further help through the GP and in December 14 she had a visit at home from a Memory Nurse who, after talking with mum for over a hour stated my mum has no signs of the onset of dementia but was suffering from anxiety and to stop and take deep breaths when she felt she needed to!!! Since then things have slowly got worse, forgetting what day it is, setting the table for four people and she lives with her partner, change in her personality and several other changes too. My main concern is we are not getting anywhere fast to get answers and to cap it all my mum phoned yesterday asking where the little boys where as she had cooked tea - my boys are 24 & 22 and were both at work yesterday!! I tried to explain but she was adamant that they should be with her. She is on medication for blood pressure Atonanol 100mg and also thyroxine 25mcg and I did worry that the memory issues could be the Atonanol but after speaking to the GP she advised it was highly unlikely. Mum has had all the necessary blood tests and CT to check for any mini strokes but everything came back clear and I just don't know who to turn to next!! Adverts on telly advise that if you suspect issues with memory to get it checked out but I just can't get the help. We are now waiting for a mental health supIport worker to assess mum and see what they think - so frustrated!

From some who has dementia I know you maybe worried but nothing will change after a diagnoses other than possibly medication your life will carry on obviously when the dementia gets to the later stages it will be different but it's not like other illness where treatment may make you better so my suggestion don't spent you time worrying accept the dementia and live life to the full

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Doctors know very little about drug side-effects unless they are dramatic.

Read about it here -

http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/atenolol

Since everything else came out clear, it could well be the drug, restricting blood flow to Mum's brain. Made worse if she doesn't drink enough and is mildly dehydrated a lot of the time which is common in old people, also if she doesn't exercise much and so her blood is moving too slowly and her brain is not getting the oxygen it needs.

(I take a beta-blocker eye drop, and on the insert leaflet, it gives you the side-effects for beta-blocker drugs generally, and it includes MEMORY LOSS). :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson