Concerns over grandads memory

Equinn

Aug 29, 2015
My grandad is 80 and recently had a fall. He has been checked at the hospital- ecg, brain scans etc and everything was fine. A week after his fall he became confused. He didn't really understand who my Nan was and was agitated and couldn't sleep well. Its been 2 weeks and the confusion is still there. Its very random. He can be fine and then all of a sudden say something random. When he is confused he only confuses who my Nan is by saying things like "have you always lived here?" etc. He also randomly thinks he is not at home and talks about 'his new house.' Has anyone experienced anything similar? I am so anxious and worried. Could it be the shock of the fall?? He seems a bit depressive as he hasn't been able to drive etc and he is so used to nipping to the shops and doing jobs in the garden. Hoping someone somewhere can say they have experienced something similar after a fall.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Equinn, welcome to TP
It's not uncommon for a fall or an illness to trigger a decline but it is very common for confusion like this specially when it comes on very suddenly to be caused by an infection, usually a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). The link below is to the AZ society factsheet and specifically talks about how it affects people with dementia, however, it can have the same effect on older people in general the same way, so it's a trip to the doctors. The suddenness with which it has come on would make it the more likely cause. Second link it to netdoctor with some useful info too.
K

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1777
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/seniorshealth/204587.html

Equinn

Aug 29, 2015
Grandad

Thanks so much for your advice. He is awaiting the results of a urine sample. I really hope its that and can get it sorted as if it isn't that I really don't know the answer. He did have his waters checked at the hospital when he was taken 2 weeks ago when the confusion started but they came out clear. It must be something triggering it as its not happening all the time. He can go 2 hours and be normal and then all of a sudden ask who the house belongs to.... The symptoms listed on the uti fact sheet match his exactly!!!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I've dug a little deeper and there's a link to another fact sheet on here, it could be dental or false teeth related, in fact any kind of infection at all from the look of it.
UTI's are the most common one but not by any means the only one could be dental, chest whatever, can doctors' do a blood test to see if there is some infection in his body then pin it down? I guess the best place to start is when he's lucid and ask if he has any pain, discomfort anything that might be a symptom, I suppose a raise body temperature is the obvious place to start that's the most common sign of an infection.
K

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=138