Concerns about Mum's Care Home

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Good afternoon my friends
I would appreciate some advice/guidance regarding concerns I have with Mum's Care home please.

Mum has been in her care home for just over 2 years. She has mixed dementia and reached 90 last October. Fortunately she settled immediately and she has remained happy since her admission. Despite the expected decline due to her illness, she is rarely without a smile and is polite and appreciative of her carers. It is lovely that she has retained those characteristics. She has always been sweet natured and kind. Sorry, I am digressing here. Mum's care has been great. Yes, we've had a few "blips" but nothing that we've been unable to resolve. At Christmas, the Home was one of many taken over by a new company. Nothing changed at first but, like some other relatives, Im really worried about the decline in standards. Can I just say that I have no complaints about the carers. They work very hard but the fact is there are simply not enough of them. I understand the answer - according to the new owners - is that they "must find a different way of working". This is not, surprisingly, resolving the problem. Only this morning I could not help overhearing a young and lovely young man being told that all the staff were having to go the extra mile. He was then taken off his care duties and told to take over the drinks trolley. Meanwhile my mum had a 40 minute wait for toilet assistance. I am in a quandry; I cannot fault the staff but they really are being put in an impossible position. The superb Manager leaves next week due to finding it impossible to work with the new owners. Things must be
bad as she is experienced, and has been doing so well but feels she is banging her head against the wall. Care standards are dropping and residents are suffering as a result. Can anyone advise me of the best way forward and whom I should approach? I don't want to get the staff into trouble - they are already doing above and beyond - nor do I wish there to be any repercussions for those most vulnerable and deserving of the best care - the residents. Thank you for reading this; I feel sure others have been here before me and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks..

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I am sorry that you are finding that you are noticing a slip in standards. Whilst the care staff may be lovely and working very hard waiting 40 minutes to be assisted with toileting is unacceptable. They should realise what to prioritise regardless of pressure being placed on them by new owners. I spoke up for my dad in a polite but assertive way with whoever was most senior on duty if and it wasn't often the carers didn't address my concerns and you need to do the same. Are the new owners on site during day hours? As the manager is leaving there must be a designated senior member of staff with day to day responsibility for residents care...so in the first instance I would speak to that person and failing that directly with the owners. It is not about risking getting the carers into trouble it is about getting them to realise, if they don't, toileting assistance takes priority over the tea trolley. I would also mention that it seems to you staff are being spread too thinly and this is impacting on your mum's care. Nobody likes to raise concerns but sometimes we have to your mum and all the residents are there to be looked after. If I was desperate to go to the loo I couldn't hold it for 15 mins let alone 40 and I have the advantage of having understanding! Speak up...if they aren't willing to address the problem it gives you an indication of how they think a care home should be run and whilst the staff have been good chances are some will follow the manager out of the door such is the demand for good carers. Good luck.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
I am sorry that you are finding that you are noticing a slip in standards. Whilst the care staff may be lovely and working very hard waiting 40 minutes to be assisted with toileting is unacceptable. They should realise what to prioritise regardless of pressure being placed on them by new owners. I spoke up for my dad in a polite but assertive way with whoever was most senior on duty if and it wasn't often the carers didn't address my concerns and you need to do the same. Are the new owners on site during day hours? As the manager is leaving there must be a designated senior member of staff with day to day responsibility for residents care...so in the first instance I would speak to that person and failing that directly with the owners. It is not about risking getting the carers into trouble it is about getting them to realise, if they don't, toileting assistance takes priority over the tea trolley. I would also mention that it seems to you staff are being spread too thinly and this is impacting on your mum's care. Nobody likes to raise concerns but sometimes we have to your mum and all the residents are there to be looked after. If I was desperate to go to the loo I couldn't hold it for 15 mins let alone 40 and I have the advantage of having understanding! Speak up...if they aren't willing to address the problem it gives you an indication of how they think a care home should be run and whilst the staff have been good chances are some will follow the manager out of the door such is the demand for good carers. Good luck.
Thanks so much for your reply. Today I spoke with a nurse who said she'd get it sorted and shortly thereafter, carers did come. I worry what happens when I'm not there. The new owners are not local but there are days they are on site. Tomorrow I will find out when they are next in and make an appointment. I've recently learned that another lady had a long wait for the toilet yesterday and was told "sorry you had to wait but we don't have enough staff"! Dreadful. I am a worrier anyway and this is adding to that. I shouldn't have to be chasing up staff but things cannot continue like this. My lovely mum deserves better and so do all the residents. Thank you again.