Concerning Health issues and a Birthday

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I went for my check up the on Monday which wasn’t too bad “But” the doctor is concerned about the swelling in my left leg and foot which is now starting to get very uncomfortable! I have been taking medication for it but it’s not really been helping, so the doctor checked me over and all around my groin area and it could be that I have a Lymph Gland problem in the groin that’s restricting the blood flow into my left leg, the right leg is OK although it just aches.

The doctor wants me to ‘Maybe’ have a blood flow test but they can’t do it here in our town hospital so I would have to go to the city of Surabaya which is a 4-5 hour drive away from us which to be very honest is out of the question for me so as the next step the doctor has changed my medication but it still doesn’t seem to be helping in fact its causing me some adverse reactions! As in making my foreskin full of fluid which really frightened me this morning so Sumi called out the emergency doctor who said not to worry and gave me some water reducing tablets for it. But it’s my left leg that concerns me so my own doctor said that step two is for me to have an ultrasound around the area of my groin to see if there is any swelling of the Lymph glands

So not such good news and to top it off today is our granddaughter Fira birthday and should be coming to see us after school this morning “BUT” now Sumi has got herself all upset about the situation in the house again and her daughter and Fira, to be very honest I find it very hard to be patient when this situation raises its ugly head again and again and with my worsening condition and other health issues it makes it even more difficult for me!

“Granddaughter Birthday and Afterthought”​

It’s just occurred to me and I did tell the doctor who came to check me this morning “But” yesterday I stood for 6 hours making and decorating our granddaughters birthday cake which I must admit I found very demanding for me, in the past I could do things like this in an hour or so but when you have any type of dementia things can take considerably longer yet can still be very rewarding to the spirit, but all that extra pressure on my leg, the arthritis in my knee and the osteoarthritis in my spine and hips just helped to aggravate the problem of my leg swelling up and the Lymph gland problem, but no matter what I was very pleased that I managed to make the cake despite it being extremely demanding on my illness, and to see our granddaughters enjoyment and excitement made it all worthwhile…

We cannot just acquiesce to the dementia we must fight against it as hard and for as long as we can

11 SANY0002.JPG
12 SANY0014.JPG
13 SANY0023.JPG

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear you are suffering more health problems Barry.

What a lovely cake and a beautiful picture of your granddaughter.

Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Sorry you are having more health issues Barry, that extra standing couldn't have helped,

The cake is beautiful and so is your little granddaughter,

Happy birthday to Fira,

Lovely pictures,

Best wishes Jeany x

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Thank you my friends and YES all the standing yesterday could have just aggravated the problem and thats exactly what the doctor said this morning;)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Happy Birthday to your granddaughter, Fira - I hope she has a lovely day.

Barry - well done for making such a wonderful cake. Thanks for sharing your latest problems - I am sorry that you have these to cope with and hope some solution can be found. Maybe just sitting longer with legs up will help!
Very best wishes

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Sorry to read that you are having extra health problems, Barry.
Fira's cake looks beautiful and I'm sure it tasted lovely too.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Barry,

I, too, am sorry you are having these problems Barry. It is sad that the doctor can't do the blood flow test locally. A 4 hour drive won't help matters. I expect you need to keep that leg raised as much as possible.

The cake is amazing. No wonder Fira was delighted.

I say the same as you in that I won't allow the illness I have take up any more room in my life than it has to.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry you have more health issues Barry but never mind the wonderful cake, no one would know there was anything wrong with you from the photo. You look amazing.

I love the photo of you and your granddaughter. It`s a lovely age.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Thank you all for your wonderful comments my friends;) and yes I am going to rest the leg as much as I can :D

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
My goodness Barry - that's an amazing square pants spongebob cake. :) And standing for that amount of time: I think it's quite likely that that didn't help the swelling. I'm reasonably certain that 1) I couldn't make such a great cake (well sadly, that's a given) but also that if I stood for that period of time I would have swelling.

In your place I'd give it a week or so and stay off your feet as much as possible before committing to a 4 hour drive.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm sorry to hear of your health problems and yes, please do rest as much as possible.

Your cakes are amazing as always - I am in wistful awe - and your granddaughter is adorable. Four is a lovely age.