Concerned how local authorities will view our finances.

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Polo63, Aug 4, 2018.

  1. Polo63

    Polo63 New member

    Jul 21, 2018
    Hi. My mum just recently diagnosed with demencia and I am trying to get her finances in order just in case in the future some form of care is needed. I have POA. The thing is I own the house mum lives in jointly but I live in my own house elsewhere. I also have a small saving bond I have jointly with my mum.
    Concerned now about how the local authority will view this. One being the house jointly owned. The saving bond - should I now close this account and open two seperate accounts.
    I keep reading about the phrase deprivation of assets and this frightens me should things be challenged.
    "money issues should not be an issue but the thought of L.A. bleading the aged and I'll really gets me angry - when care and support should be paramount.
    HELP. Thank you.
  2. Shedrech

    Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

    Dec 15, 2012
    hi @Polo63
    not sure whether you saw the answer to your post on the recent Q&A thread
    it's here
    Q&A: Paying for Residential care - Tues 24 July, 3-4 pm
    if you won't lose anything by splitting the savings bond, it may well be a good idea - if there will be penalties maybe leave it but declare her half on any financial assessment of your mum's funds for paying for her care and change when the money is needed

Share This Page