Concerned for my mum

Nickii

Feb 11, 2015
I am extremely concerned for my mum and my aunt. They both play a massive part in the care of my Gran, although my grandmother is currently in hospital and has vascular dementia...but since going into hospital 9 week's ago her dementia has gotten much worse. What concerns me most is anytime my Gran is unsettled or "kicks off" in the hospital, the nurses automatically contact my mum and aunt to come to the hospital to settle my Gran. My mum and aunt are not familiar with or have had to in the past, deal with Gran since her dementia has worsened and have been offered no support or guidance on how to deal with dementia....Why are the nurses not trained/ staffed to deal with such scenarios? Are there any local support groups or charities, we can contact to seek some support or advice for my the loved ones who have deal with my poor Gran who deteriorated rapidly over the last few weeks? Appreciate any feedback any one may have?

tp18

Oct 8, 2012
Does the hospital have a dementia support team? Ask the nurses to put you in contact with them, or at least a social worker at the hospital. That will at least help your mum and aunt in the short terms whilst your Gran is in hospital. The support team should also help with supporting the family when Gran gets out, or at least putting you in touch with someone who can help.

Nickii

Feb 11, 2015
Thank you...this is definitely a starting point for us....watch this ssh space!!

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Welcome, Nickii, although I'm sorry you have had to find us.

Does your gran have a social worker? If so, and even if not, then perhaps you could think about contacting social services to arrange for an assessment of what needs your gran has in terms of care, and what your mum and aunt need to help support them if they choose to become your gran's carers.

I say choose, because after being a member here for a few years I have learned that no-one has to look after another adult if they don't wish to, and in fact it's social services who have the duty of care towards the person needing care.

I'm sure others will be along shortly to offer further advice, so do please keep posting.