• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Concerned about parents memory

klemon94

May 14, 2014
Lancashire
I’m not sure what to really, I just feel myself constantly worrying about both my parents memory but, more my dad.

A bit of family history so I don’t sound too crazy for panicking
My Granddad (my mum’s father) passed away in 2015, his health deteriorated after eventually being diagnosed with Dementia. My Auntie (my dad’s sister) was diagnosed a year ago with Alzheimer’s.

I have noticed my Dad has been experiencing memory problems over the past half a year. Maybe, I’m being dramatic but, losing my grandad and my auntie now being diagnosed has made me feel extremely anxious
My Dad is 70 which I wouldn’t consider old at all
what is normal forgetfulness and what should be a concern?
My Dad doesn’t always struggle with his memory but, he’ll forget certain things me and my sister like & dislike (mostly things we have liked or disliked for years), he will ask me to about things I’ve explained a couple times before. He finds it difficult to play board games mainly cluedo with quite a few instructions. He also, will say he doesn’t like a food that he previously enjoyed with no explanation.
Theres more but, I don’t want to go on
Not sure whether that makes any sense

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome back to the forum - I see you posted about your grandad a few years ago.

I’m sorry that you now have these concerns about your dad. Have you broached the subject with him? I know it will be hard to have this kind of conversation and wondered if these links would be of any help to you-