Concerned about my mums medication

Brendan2000

Sep 22, 2019
My mother had to be detained as she got lost walking the streets with no coat wearing slippers on one of the coldest nights in Dec. She was also very agitated and agressive verbally not physically. She is now in stand down hospital waiting for a place in a care home. I have noticed a big decline in her cognative and physical abilities. She can hardly stand and shuffles her feet when she walks. However when I take her out she walks for a while then the "strength" in her legs comes back and she straightens up.

She has been in this hospital for a month or so and can't find her way back to her room if you take her 10 or 20 steps away from it. My sister washed her clothed her and spent a couple of hours with her. After she left for only 5 mins my mum couldn't remember she had been.

I have also noticed lately that she is tired all the time and wants to sleep. The last few weeks I have visted her she is anxious and depressed and keeps asking me if she has to go to bed just now? Recently I found out from one of the other patients that she has been told to go to bed during the day and early in the evening. Which I now understand why she is anxious about being put to bed.

At my last visit a doctor appeared and started to ask my mum questions about being anxious or depressed. If she had symptoms. My mother couldn't really answer so I answered for her. I mentioned some of the symptoms above. He told me that it was coming to the end of being legally able to use the drug "Risperidone" on someone to detain them and they were reviewing it. And he said he would get in touch with my sister who as POA ( another problem which I won't go into here).

After I mentioned the cognative decline of my mother and her physical symptoms he said i had nothing to do with the drug. However just a few mins research says the opposite. I am now really concerned about the meds they are giving my mother. Plus the hospital is like a prison with no stimulation. And I am concerned about one or two of the nurses who I feel are not treating my mother right. The doctor also lied to me about the drug. I know most psychiatric meds don't work are not even based on science.

Here are some of the symptoms from an article https://betterhealthwhileaging.net/medications-to-treat-difficult-alzheimers-behaviors/

Commonly used drugs: Antipsychotics often used in older adults include:

• Risperidone (brand name Risperdal)
  • Quetiapine (brand name Seroquel)
  • Olanzapine (brand name Zyprexa)
  • Haloperidol (brand name Haldol)
  • For a longer list of antipsychotics drugs, see this NIH page.
Usual effects: Most antipsychotics are sedating, and will calm agitation or aggression through these sedating effects. Antipsychotics may also reduce true psychosis symptoms, such as delusions, hallucinations, or paranoid beliefs, but it’s rare for them to completely correct these in people with dementia.

Risks of use: The risks of antipsychotics are related to how high the dose is, and include:

• Decreased cognitive function, and possible acceleration of cognitive decline
  • Increased risk of falls
  • Increased risk of stroke and of death; this has been estimated as an increased absolute risk of 1-4%
  • A risk of side-effects known as “extrapyramidal symptoms,” which include stiffness and tremor similar to Parkinson’s disease, as well as a variety of other muscle coordination problems
  • People with Lewy-body dementia or a history of Parkinsonism may be especially sensitive to antipsychotic side-effects; in such people, quetiapine is considered the safest choice
Evidence of clinical efficacy: Clinical trials often find a small improvement in symptoms. However, this is offset by frequent side-effects. Studies have also repeatedly found that using antipsychotics in older people with dementia is associated with a higher risk of stroke and of death.

I want to complain or at least work with the doctors to get my mother off this drug, They need our consent I think going by what he said about the end of time period to use it to detain her.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
My husband has been taking Risperidone for several months. It started on an as and when basis, and progressed to 3 times a day. I also read the paperwork and was concerned about some of the side effects. His mobility has deteriorated, but perhaps that would have happened anyway. I quizzed the mental health doctor assiduously about the side effects, but to be honest, it has been my lifeline. Without it he is agitated, suffers delusions and life is unbearable. It was a straight choice between the possible side effects and my mental well being!

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Risperidone has been my lifeline too. OH has been on it for 18mths, I will never know if it has had an adverse effect as there is no knowing what would have happened anyway, he has lost his mobility but tbh that was after 12 weeks in a hospital bed. I queried it with 2 Drs at our practice and with the hospital Drs because the leaflets says not recommended for Alzheimer's patients long term, but none of them were worried about it. He did sleep quite a bit in the beginning but not now.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My mother had to be detained as she got lost walking the streets with no coat wearing slippers on one of the coldest nights in Dec. She was also very agitated and agressive verbally not physically. She is now in stand down hospital waiting for a place in a care home. I have noticed a big decline in her cognative and physical abilities. She can hardly stand and shuffles her feet when she walks. However when I take her out she walks for a while then the "strength" in her legs comes back and she straightens up.

She has been in this hospital for a month or so and can't find her way back to her room if you take her 10 or 20 steps away from it. My sister washed her clothed her and spent a couple of hours with her. After she left for only 5 mins my mum couldn't remember she had been.

I have also noticed lately that she is tired all the time and wants to sleep. The last few weeks I have visted her she is anxious and depressed and keeps asking me if she has to go to bed just now? Recently I found out from one of the other patients that she has been told to go to bed during the day and early in the evening. Which I now understand why she is anxious about being put to bed.

At my last visit a doctor appeared and started to ask my mum questions about being anxious or depressed. If she had symptoms. My mother couldn't really answer so I answered for her. I mentioned some of the symptoms above. He told me that it was coming to the end of being legally able to use the drug "Risperidone" on someone to detain them and they were reviewing it. And he said he would get in touch with my sister who as POA ( another problem which I won't go into here).

After I mentioned the cognative decline of my mother and her physical symptoms he said i had nothing to do with the drug. However just a few mins research says the opposite. I am now really concerned about the meds they are giving my mother. Plus the hospital is like a prison with no stimulation. And I am concerned about one or two of the nurses who I feel are not treating my mother right. The doctor also lied to me about the drug. I know most psychiatric meds don't work are not even based on science.

Here are some of the symptoms from an article https://betterhealthwhileaging.net/medications-to-treat-difficult-alzheimers-behaviors/

Commonly used drugs: Antipsychotics often used in older adults include:

• Risperidone (brand name Risperdal)
  • Quetiapine (brand name Seroquel)
  • Olanzapine (brand name Zyprexa)
  • Haloperidol (brand name Haldol)
  • For a longer list of antipsychotics drugs, see this NIH page.
Usual effects: Most antipsychotics are sedating, and will calm agitation or aggression through these sedating effects. Antipsychotics may also reduce true psychosis symptoms, such as delusions, hallucinations, or paranoid beliefs, but it’s rare for them to completely correct these in people with dementia.

Risks of use: The risks of antipsychotics are related to how high the dose is, and include:

• Decreased cognitive function, and possible acceleration of cognitive decline
  • Increased risk of falls
  • Increased risk of stroke and of death; this has been estimated as an increased absolute risk of 1-4%
  • A risk of side-effects known as “extrapyramidal symptoms,” which include stiffness and tremor similar to Parkinson’s disease, as well as a variety of other muscle coordination problems
  • People with Lewy-body dementia or a history of Parkinsonism may be especially sensitive to antipsychotic side-effects; in such people, quetiapine is considered the safest choice
Evidence of clinical efficacy: Clinical trials often find a small improvement in symptoms. However, this is offset by frequent side-effects. Studies have also repeatedly found that using antipsychotics in older people with dementia is associated with a higher risk of stroke and of death.

I want to complain or at least work with the doctors to get my mother off this drug, They need our consent I think going by what he said about the end of time period to use it to detain her.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Hi @Brendan2000 -could you elaborate more on where you are? I'm thinking the US?

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
My mum had her second visit from the older peoples mental health team last week and due to Doneprizol not working for her she was only on it 10 days they asked her about considering Rivastigmine no indication of doseage the mental health social worker expects me to look it up on the NICE guidelines nice weekend reading not. They actually said to her you look really well so why force someone who's only just come off one medication to be shoved onto another is beyond me.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
My mum had her second visit from the older peoples mental health team last week and due to Doneprizol not working for her she was only on it 10 days they asked her about considering Rivastigmine no indication of doseage the mental health social worker expects me to look it up on the NICE guidelines nice weekend reading not. They actually said to her you look really well so why force someone who's only just come off one medication to be shoved onto another is beyond me.

Welcome to DTP @angelict.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
He told me that it was coming to the end of being legally able to use the drug "Risperidone" on someone to detain them and they were reviewing it. And he said he would get in touch with my sister who as POA ( another problem which I won't go into here).

Was your Mother sectioned under section2 of the mental health act? If so, someone can be detained in hospital for assessment and medicated for up to 28 days, without their consent if necessary. Is that what the doctor was referring to? If your sister has health & welfare power of attorney then that's probably why the doctor wants to contact her, to speak about further medication if the 28 days is now up. Hopefully a care home place will be found for your mother soon as hospitals are not good places for those with dementia.

Brendan2000

Sep 22, 2019
I am based in Edinburgh UK. My mum was detained for 28 days then extended I think for six months waiting for a care home. I spoke to a friend who's gran went through something similar while in a care home. Big negative difference when she was put on this drug. They reckon it took away any quality of life she had. I have seen such a dip since she took these drugs. The Doctor lied to me said there were no side effects. He said they were coming to the end of being able to use them to detain someone which must be about 12 weeks now. So they need to get family POA consent. I am my mums closest relatve and was my mums main carer for years. I had a bit of a breakdown due to stress looking after my mum. And my sister got POA behind my back when she needed to cut off cancerous growths on her arm. My mum was no way in sound mind they pushed it through in order to get the procedure done. My mother would never have gave it to her. I had all the papers done couple of years before but my mum was afraid to sign them as her sister told her not to. Family have been a real problem throughout this time too.... I thought once she got into a care home things would get easier.

deedee26

Oct 5, 2021
I am concerned as to the length of time my mum has been taking Risperidone. Mum is 80 and 4 years ago was sectioned under the mental health act for 6 weeks. She lives alone. and had been experiencing hearing voices.
Mums meds are delivered monthly, she has been taking them for nearly 4 years. She hasn't been diagnosed with dementia. I feel however that she is deteriorating and i have mentioned this to her health care visitor. Im getting no answers back.