Concerned about my mom. Thoughts?

CaptainSwan31

Feb 18, 2019
Let me give you a background cliff-notes. My mom is 58 year old. She suffers from chronic pain due to an automobile accident back in 82, suffers from anxiety, depression,chronic headaches(every day), Fibromyalgia, Scerloderma, needs a shoulder replacement on the right shoulder which gives her a lot of pain and the other shoulder is going now too, she also has sore ankles, and knees. So as you can tell she is in a lot of pain, In the past 12 years she's lost her mother in 2007, her father in law in 2008 (they were very close), her husband in 2012 (mine and my sisters father, her own father in 2016 who suffered from a large amount of issues (he had parkinsons, was a smoker etc so it was a tough thing), and her Grandmother in 2017. She was pain meds and fetaynl for like 11 years. In fact we are wondering if that long term use is why she has the memory issues she has today. She's been off all the pain meds for like the last 3 years. She had an MRI a year ago it said normal aging. She has a been to a neurologist, and regular doctor. In the past few months we have eliminated medications and she's done a lot better. The neurologist put her on Depakote for the headaches and said it helps with memory along with anxiety and mood. Both doctors ahd pretty much chalked it all up to being a combo of pain, stress, anxiety, depression, and the headaches,I had a lot of anxiety a few months ago but then I was calmed down because she's been doing so good. I mean we have been so happy with how well she's doing. She even went on a little get away trip with us we took my nephew, his bestie cousin, and baby brother to a water park.

My anxiety had gone away and everything until last week. Her work sent her home because they want her to have a medical evaluation. We were all completely blindsided by this because back in January my sister talked to my moms boss who said she was doing better and that he was refreshing her in different departments. My moms co-worker had even told my sister one day at lunch on Jan 11 of this year
that my mom was doing so good and back to herself. Even though she still struggles with the headaches, anxiety, stress, depression, and pain from both Fibromyalgia and injuries from an automobile accident that she was in back in the 80s.

Anyways We got her into the doctor right away. Her doctor works in the same hospital my mom worked at so of course my mom was an absolute wreck anxiety, stress, depression wise. Her doctor did the MMSE test on her and she got a 23/30. Last year it was 26/30 that she got. The thing is when she has anxiety really bad she does get very forgetful. The next day she went to her neurologist and my sister is less than thrilled with him. He did the MMSE score and my mom was doing good at first but then she looked at my sister and the dr kicked my sister out of the room bc he thought my sister was going to help her but she wasn’t my mom just looked at her. So that puts my moms anxiety through the roof and she didn’t do so good. Doctor said he could tell the stress and anxiety was getting to her. He upped her Depakote he said that would help with memory and headaches then said he’d see her back in two months. My sister was ****ed off so she got a different referral. I’ve been a wreck but my sister said she she thinks the anxiety and all the pain my mom is in plus being depressed is what effects her memory. She thinks the Fibro plays a big part in it. I think my mom is pretty much going to go into retirement. She is 58 years old.

As for her memory loss it’s more short term than anything else. She’s had no personality changes, behavioral changes, getting lost, anything like that. She even does her medicine correctly in the pill tracker thing because I checked on Friday to make sure. She’s aware of what’s going on Snd doesn’t dent it. I know she gets worried of saying the wrong thing which causes her to be anxious. My mom has been through the ringer. In 2007 she lost her mother, then 2008 her father in law whom she was closed to, my father in 2012, her father in 2016, and her great grandmother in 2018, now we find out her Moms sisters husband who is her favorite Uncle has stage 4 mesothelioma.

As for what happened at work I guess she asked for help on something at work and the 2nd command(head boss is out for 2 weeks that’s who my sister spoke to btw) went to HR. He claims she couldn’t remember how to do something. The work environment has been hostile for her because coworkers have made comments about her and stuff and so she would go into work very anxious. This is why my sister doesn’t want her going back there regardless if she’s cleared or not. She’s never been written up for anything or anything like that they just have her on a medical leave right now.

I just feel so bad for my mom. She down about her job.we keep telling her she’s better off that she can enjoy her grand-kids and stuff. I’m going to have a niece in August. She had bad anxiety on Friday that caused her to forget she talked to my Aunt. She told me everything her hit her and said she had a bad day. I could tell she was really anxious that day. Since then she’s been better aside from the headaches. When she’s relaxed she different. Yeah she sometimes asks the same thing over. The thing is if she study’s it she remembers it. Like I said the anxiety really does effect her to the point she has trouble getting out what she wants to say. We got her into a Neurologist DO that appt is on April 1.

Do you guys have any insight on this I’m just making myself sick over it and I feel bad bc then my mom worries about me? I'm so scared she has a dementia of the sorts but my sister keeps telling me she thinks its the fibro and the pain. She was telling me how she has a co-worker who has it and has went through a similar thing and recommend this doctor that she (sisters co-worker) goes to for Fibro.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @CaptainSwan31 you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly, informative and supportive place.

It is true that conditions like anxiety and depression or medication side effects can cause symptoms that mimic dementia. You are doing the right thing in seeking further medical investigation and it’s good that your mom cooperates with this.

There is a Society Factsheet about the assessment process that can be read by clicking the second line of the following link
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about...-diagnosis/diagnosis/assessment-process-tests
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/media/966

I hope that helps.