concerned about my memory loss/confusion

haras

Jun 25, 2014
Hi, I am desperate to know what is happening to my brain. My GP says it is normal to have memory loss at my age (70) but I know it is absolutely abnormal because I cannot make decisions, concentrate on anything for more than a few seconds, can't comprehend the most simple explanations and had to get my son to organize getting me into this forum. I have been using a tv remote with no problem for years and now I can't even remember which button to press and could not turn off my windscreen wipers the other day .. my GP thinks that's normal!!!! I can't remember movies and can sit through them as though it is my first time.
I have seen a Neuropsychologist who sat me down and tested me for 4 hours ... she also thinks I am normal. Who do I turn to next?? That was 2 years ago.
I would appreciate any advice I can get.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Hello haras,

Welcome to the forum. You sound desperately worried and I am sorry to hear of your problems.

I am not an expert, but there are many here who will be able to advise you. I was wondering if it might help to start keeping a list of daily activities you are having trouble with to show your doctor.

PS. I am always having to get my daughter to help me with computer, iphone and kindle problems!! Think it is normal for many of our generation...hope so anyway.

steviep

Dec 11, 2012
Lancashire
Hi haras, welcome to TP.

It sounds to me like more than just old age to be honest, although overwork and tiredness can cause the same symptoms - it's happened to me recently. I'm no expert so I can only tell you of my experience with mum.

She gave up reading and doing her crosswords, she also forgot how to use the remote control and I had to take over making all the meals as she couldn't remember when she had put food in the oven, etc. She just sat for hours staring at the TV but I'm sure she wasn't taking anything in and she seemed to lose interest in everything. It became apparent that something was wrong and she was eventually diagnosed with dementia when she was rushed into hospital with chest pains. Her decline was quite rapid and she's been in the CH since last November.

You're right to be concerned, the signs are there. We're supposed to be able to trust the experts but I would go back to my GP and ask them to refer you again or if there might be some other, physical, cause for your memory lapses. They shouldn't just put it down to old age - how condescending of them!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello Haras, welcome from me too. I think a certain amount of memory loss is quite normal as we age but as you are worried that your loss is more then this then I think the idea of keeping a diary is a good one.
However, worry and stress and even more so depression, can cause memory loss to be much worse, so try not to make the diary a main focus. Worrying about the lapses is probably not helping now but I do realise that you cannot help but worry.
It's like when you cannot recall a name no matter how hard you try, then once you give up and forget about it, it just comes to you.

Demential is about more than just memory loss though, so try not to get too despondent but if you are still concerned in a few months' time, do return to your GP.
Do keep coming back here too. Best wishes.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Haras

I`m 72 and if I had your difficulties I would be worried too.

That`s not to say I know better than your doctor or the Neuropsychologist who were not unduly concerned about your difficulties.

What I would do, if that is their findings, is go back to them , with a diary of times and dates of the difficulties which have caused you distress and ask them if they do not believe you have dementia , would they please tell you what they think is wrong.

At 70, it is not just `old age`.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Welcome Haras,

Worrying and stressing is only making things worse. Go to your doctor, write down everything that is concerning you as you have on here. When my husband was experiencing memory problems we went to our GP and he organised MRI scan and blood tests. We did get a diagnosis of dementia so we knew the reason for his problem.

Many other things can affect your memory and for your own peace of mind you need answers so be firm and don't accept age related.

Good luck and please keep using th forum for support.

Regards Jay

Last edited:

haras

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I will continue to tear out my hair until I get a conclusive diagnosis.

misery chick

Jun 29, 2014
Hi haras,

Just happened upon this site & wanted 2 tell you how sorry I am for your current situation. I have two suggestions that may seem TOTALLY 'out of left field' but I wouldn't be able to sleep well tonight if I didn't at least mention them to you. These both come from my own experience:

1-Depression can profoundly affect one's memory and cognitive skills; even talking to someone about it may ease up your mind a bit and free up some brain energy

2-Reading Dr. David Perlmutter's book, "Grain Brain" made me burst out crying for two reasons: first, because***I***(not all of the doctors I saw, nor the medical tests that I took nor the questions that I answered) had FINALLY found out what the hell was wrong with me (severe gluten allergy), and second I cried because I was afraid I was too late to get better. It wasn't too late for me and I strongly feel it's NOT too late for you either.

Even if depression or gluten allergy are not your issues, PLEASE KEEP READING, RESEARCHING AND ASKING QUESTIONS UNTIL YOU FIND THE ANSWER FOR*YOU*.

Good luck and take care.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Hi Miserychick,

Welcome here. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your information. As you say, even if it turns out not to be an answer to haras' issues, it will be helpful to others.

my daughter has polycystic ovaries which no doctor managed to diagnose until she did her own research and basically told them!

I agree. Research, reading and asking questions. Very important.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
You mentioned a son. Ishe a aware of your difficulties? Would he go with you to gp and voice his concerns.

I am 75 and I would definitely be worried if I had all the difficulties you had. Yes I am beginning to forget some things, but not in the way you are describing