Concerned about my husband

hollybough

Jan 8, 2015
For some time now I have been concerned by my husbands behaviour. His memory seems ok but he is very apathetic, disinterested and socially seems very inept. This is new behaviour for him but is causing me distress. I have recently browsed the web and learned about behaviour variant FLD. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hello hollybough, I noticed similar changes in my husband about 8 years ago. Motivation disappeared, apathy set in and social skills dwindled, not to mention irritability. It was only when he had a major stroke 18 months ago, that an MRI showed small vessel disease and numerous past strokes, mainly lacunar. These strokes can be "silent" - you have them without realising but gradually damage to the brain cells happen and "white matter" replaces them. Does your husband have other health conditions like hypertension or heart conditions? I'm sure you will get other replies too.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You are right to be concerned and you might consider asking your GP to give him a general overhaul under the Well Man programme. Note beforehand particular behaviours which worry you to give the doc an idea of what he or she is looking for.

hollybough

Jan 8, 2015
Thank for your mssge Mary

Hello hollybough, I noticed similar changes in my husband about 8 years ago. Motivation disappeared, apathy set in and social skills dwindled, not to mention irritability. It was only when he had a major stroke 18 months ago, that an MRI showed small vessel disease and numerous past strokes, mainly lacunar. These strokes can be "silent" - you have them without realising but gradually damage to the brain cells happen and "white matter" replaces them. Does your husband have other health conditions like hypertension or heart conditions? I'm sure you will get other replies too.

Yes. You are describing my husband. He is not sad so I'm not thinking he may be depressed. He has high blood pressure and takes medication for it. I am wondering how you have coped all these years living with such a stressful situation. I am going to chat with GP because I just know there's something going on with him. Once again thank you so much for your time and mssge. I really appreciate it!

hollybough

Jan 8, 2015
You are right to be concerned and you might consider asking your GP to give him a general overhaul under the Well Man programme. Note beforehand particular behaviours which worry you to give the doc an idea of what he or she is looking for.

I shall do just that! I am sure there's something going on with him because he is completely different to the person he has been these many past years. Thans so much for your response, it is much appreciated!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
This may seem daft but have you asked him? It may well be that something is bothering him that you don't know about, if you ask him he may open up.
Some years ago I got an "inconclusive" result on a cancer test (same kind my brother died of), you have to get it repeated a month later then again a month later, so 60 days in total to wait. I decided until I got a definite result I wouldn't tell my wife, made me a bit disinterested and apathetic until I got the all clear.
If she'd said to me "what's wrong with you" I probably would have told her, she never asked and so to this day I still haven't told her about it.
K

Last edited:

hollybough

Jan 8, 2015
This may seem daft but have you asked him? It may well be that something is bothering him that you don't know about, if you ask him he may open up.
Some years ago I got an "inconclusive" result on a cancer test (same kind my brother died of), you have to get it repeated a month later then again a month later, so 60 days in total to wait. I decided until I got a definite result I wouldn't tell my wife, made me a bit disinterested and apathetic until I got the all clear.
If she'd said to me "what's wrong with you" I probably would have told her, she never asked and so to this day I still haven't told her about it.
K
Thanks for taking time to respond Kevin. Yes, many many times! It is not solely a case of him being disinterested and detached, his social behaviour is completely at variance to his normal. Even his table manners!!! I have talked it over with him again and we have agreed to go and chat with his GP nxt week. Then maybe we can move matters forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckdf1234