Concerned about mother

2dilemmas

Dec 2, 2017
Hello,
I recently took my mother to her primary care doctor because she slipped and fell on concrete floor, hitting her head. She got a MRI done to ensure that nothing went horribly wrong, and to our surprise, the PCP told us that her brain is about 20% smaller than others her age. She is currently 56. She has been a little forgetful recently, forgetting to take her phone, forgetting if she left the stove on, forgetting some words when she spoke, etc. The physician recommended her to see a neurologist to make more certain diagnoses. Should we be worried about her potentially having dementia or early onset Alzheimer's?? I've not been getting much sleep after her visit to the doctor - I'm worried that her brain shrinkage is very indicative of early onset dementia.. Please share the knowledge you have regarding this, if possible! Thanks

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello! Welcome to our forum...though I am sorry that worries about your mother have bought you here. We are not medical experts, but I am sure you know her scan result and symptoms could be dementia. I presume you are waiting for more tests or results? The diagnosis of dementia is shattering, but any life changing illness is. What I am trying to say, probably in a clumsy way....it is the middle of the night here! .... is that whatever your mother’s diagnosis, there will be strategies you can use to hopefully slow down or minimise symptoms...there are even drug treatments for some forms of dementia that can do the same.
I hope that you soon know the diagnosis, and know what you are all facing. You have certainly found the right place for support and advice. I am sure, in a few hours time, when the UK wakes up, you will have more replies.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @2dilemmas
welcome to TP
I guess nothing anyone can say will stop you worrying, we tend to do that when we know there's something in the air - waiting to hear about what's happening is a tough time
it's good that your mum has a referral to a neurologist - maybe write down all your concerns and what you have seen as changes in your mum's behaviour (think of her 1,2,3 years ago and what is different) so that you have information prepared for the consultant to use as part of a diagnosis - I also find that sometimes writing things out settles them in my mind and I can cope better with whatever comes next
if you do want to read around the subject, there are factsheets on the main AS site - only you know whether you are someone who needs to get information, not all of which may end up being pertinent to your circumstances, or wait to hear what the consultant has to say and take it from there
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...520.612758088.1512139873-213745934.1462100281
whatever else you do, keep in mind that your mum is the same mum she was yesterday and just enjoy time with her - sometimes we benefit from a reminder that we take some things and people for granted
I'm guessing from your terminology that you are not in the UK - might you add your location to your profile so that members see this easily and those in your country may offer info specific to your country's systems