concern for a friend

husaberg4

May 2, 2007
colwyn bay
hi i have a friend that lost her gran in january who had alzheimers , my friend has discussed there worries with me & i belive they are convinced that there fait is to end up with alzheimers & they are very frightened of the thought & of the same ending as there gran , im asking realy the chances or likelyhood of this happening , i have rearched the internet but it seems very unclear or specific to how the jeans work from from parents to children , your advice & guidence would be very comforting to me ,:)

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya and welcome to TP. I dont know the exact answer to this, but I do know that unless the alzheimers was early onset, there is little evidence of an hereditary connection.
I am sure that someone else will be able to give you a better answer - just wanted to say hi.
Helen

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
Hi

my mum was diagnozed at the age of 54, no one on her side had alzheimers,you are always hearing is it or is it not hereditary. It must be so uwful for someone to worry like that understandable its a horrid illness. I do not worry about it yes it has crossed my mind but to worry i would be worrying forever. I personaly do not see the point even going to the doctors and getting tested to see if i carry a certain gene or not. How would life be for me being 36 and for them to say yes there is a posibilty you could get it. I would be worrying everyday say for what 10 years 15 year 20 thats just my thought on it. Iam sorry your freind is feeling this way it must be so awful

kathy

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother's neighbour was sure she'd get it because of her grandmother and aunt, but the doctor said you won't get it because you keep yourself busy and do things for others, that was when people were saying things like "use it or lose it", now we know that isn't true.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I was the same when my husband was diagnoised at 51 as my mum and her brother who at 60 both got struck down with it but different one AD the other VD. I worry for my son though. I was asked to go to genetics but do i really want to know?. There is no-one at all in my Dad's side who has got this, and my Dad says i take of his side. Fingers X'D I keep myself very busy and i am always learning or training. Eating healthy is difficult (i don't have the time) I do this inbetween caring for my husband. It helps me (if only i could get the help i need to continue to do it)