concern about relative and his carer

samart

Apr 29, 2019
Hi I have just joined today so very new at this!

I am a little worried about a relative living at home with his carer, his nephew. He was diagnosed last year but appears to have declined quite a bit lately.
Sadly he occasionally urinates in the kitchen thinking it's a bathroom and so the carer intends to lock the kitchen door when out at work as the relative also goes into the fridge / cupboards etc helping himself to food and making a mess. He has been moved out of his bedroom to downstairs as he was poorly recently and there were concerns about him using the stairs. However he is now quite able to go up and down them slowly. Now his old bedroom door has been locked to ensure he doesn't go in there. He gets up several times in the night - the carer mentioned about getting sleeping tablets for the relative as he is constantly being disturbed.

I suggested that the relative pays for carers to help relieve the pressure on the family carer, to get up, shower etc. as there are more than enough funds in the bank accounts for him to ne well looked after.
It was declined!

I feel that his environment is getting smaller and smaller and I worry how he reacts to the locked doors when alone. Are these actions a deprivation of his liberty? What can be done? Cameras have been installed in the house so that the relative can be checked on when the carer goes to work - part time a few hours.

Has anyone else come across a similar situation?

Thank you
Samart

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Doesn't sound right.

Does the person with dementia know where he is supposed to have a wee? Is there a downstairs loo?
Why cant he go in his own bedroom? Is it locked 24/7 or just when the carer is out?

Might be worth a call to adult safeguarding team

samart

Apr 29, 2019
Doesn't sound right.

Does the person with dementia know where he is supposed to have a wee? Is there a downstairs loo?
Why cant he go in his own bedroom? Is it locked 24/7 or just when the carer is out?

Might be worth a call to adult safeguarding team

Thanks for replying.
He does know where the toilet is. No loo downstairs.
When he slept upstairs he would come out of bedroom, turn left then be in the bathroom. However when he does this downstairs he is in the kitchen.

The bedroom door is locked all the time as I believe it is being used by the carer's daughter on occasion.

I will think about safeguarding, thank you

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @samart and welcome
It sounds as though the nephew is trying his best to keep his uncle safe but, in my opinion his efforts are misguided ... I wonder how the uncle gets a meal or drink during the day, and about toileting when he is alone
And to me it seems odd that the nephew is only working a few hours, though that may be so he can provide care
As you are concerned, you can contact their Local Authority Adult Services and advise them of the situation

samart

Apr 29, 2019
Thanks for replying.
He does know where the toilet is. No loo downstairs.
When he slept upstairs he would come out of bedroom, turn left then be in the bathroom. However when he does this downstairs he is in the kitchen.

The bedroom door is locked all the time as I believe it is being used by the carer's daughter on occasion.

I will think about safeguarding, thank you

samart

Apr 29, 2019
Hello @samart and welcome
It sounds as though the nephew is trying his best to keep his uncle safe but, in my opinion his efforts are misguided ... I wonder how the uncle gets a meal or drink during the day, and about toileting when he is alone
And to me it seems odd that the nephew is only working a few hours, though that may be so he can provide care
As you are concerned, you can contact their Local Authority Adult Services and advise them of the situation

Thank you