computers

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Brucie

I think you are the expert.

When I post a message or start a new thread and if I've made a spelling mistake and try to correct it, or go back to add something, Why is it that I have to type the whole thing again, because, the following letter is deleted and then the next and so on? So therefore I have to redo the post from the correction,

Maybe it is something I am doing wrong, I don't know. Sometimes I just give up and don't post.

If you can help, it would be great, but I am not very technical. In simple English please

Thanks
Alfjess

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Bruce is on holiday now, Alfjess, but do you know what? The same thing happens to me.

I think it`s something to do with how you place the cursor. When I work it out, [if I ever work it out] I`ll let you know.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It's happened to me sometimes too, but not all the time. I just assumed it's because I'm using my laptop, and I hate the blinkin' touch pad!!

I bought a mouse to use instead, but as I usually have the machine on my knee, the mouse is not much good.

Maybe if we're all having problems, it's NOT OUR FAULT:D :D :D

IT_man

Dec 10, 2006
London
Try pressing the Insert key

Try pressing the Insert key when this happens - there are two "insert" modes - one inserts the other overwrites.

cheers

Phil

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think my problem is that on the laptop the insert key is very close to delete, so tends to get hit by accident. But now I'm aware of it..........:) :) :)

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Phil

Really sorry to be so ignorant, but what and where is the insert key?

I am glad I,m not the only one having the problem, maybe I,m not as daft as I thought:D On the other hand maybe I am, don't know about the insert key

Alfjess

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Alfjess,

As a newly initiated fan of the Insert key, I hope you won`t mind if I answer if Phil isn`t online.

The Insert key is the top left hand key, in the group of 6 keys, above the arrows.

Hope you find it.

IT_man

Dec 10, 2006
London
I wish it was so simple

The exact poisiton of the Insert key varies - especially on laptops. However its usually above the Delete Key and close to the Home and End keys. They all tend to be in the top right corner of the keyboard - ie above and left of the Enter Key.

cheers

Phil

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh sorry Phil.

What is it about `a little knowledge being a dangerous thing`. :eek:

Whilst I`m disclosing my ignorance, does anyone know what the Home and End keys are for. Sound as if they are self explanatory, but self explanatory what?

Last edited:

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Grannie G said:
Oh sorry Phil.

What is it about `a little knowledge being a dangerous thing`. :eek:

Whilst I`m disclosing my ignorance, does anyone know what the Home and End keys are for. Sound as if they are self explanatory, but self explanatory what?

If I am in a word document and want to go back to the beginning the 'Home' key takes me there. I think the 'End' key takes you to the end of the document - or is it the end of the line?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Brenda. Will try it one day.:)

Not only can we learn about dementia on this site, we can attend a computer course too. :cool:

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
actually, just tried it out on a Word document. Ctrl and Home will take you to the beginning of the document, Ctrl and End will take you to the end of the document. I can only remember these things properly when I am actually doing them! The Ctrl key is on the bottom left of the keyboard.

End on its own will take you to the end of the line you are on, Home on its own will take you to the beginning of the line. Works on TP posts also :D

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
And just to complete the picture ........ if you're on a web page ...... "home" will take you to the top of the page, and "end" to the bottom ......without all the scrolling around.

IT_man

Dec 10, 2006
London
shift + home

If you want to select - hold down shift + end - selects the whole doc / spreadsheet etc.

Well worth checking out the keyboard short cuts as they are much quicker than using the mouse a lot of the time. - F1 for help in the app and then do a search on Keyboard Shortcuts

My personal fav of all time ( obscure but useful ) SHIFT + F3 in Word - cycles through the different choices on capitilization.