1. alfjess

alfjess Registered User

Jul 10, 2006
    south lanarkshire
    Hi Brucie

I think you are the expert.

When I post a message or start a new thread and if I've made a spelling mistake and try to correct it, or go back to add something, Why is it that I have to type the whole thing again, because, the following letter is deleted and then the next and so on? So therefore I have to redo the post from the correction,

Maybe it is something I am doing wrong, I don't know. Sometimes I just give up and don't post.

If you can help, it would be great, but I am not very technical. In simple English please

Thanks
    Alfjess

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Bruce is on holiday now, Alfjess, but do you know what? The same thing happens to me.

I think it`s something to do with how you place the cursor. When I work it out, [if I ever work it out] I`ll let you know.

3. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    It's happened to me sometimes too, but not all the time. I just assumed it's because I'm using my laptop, and I hate the blinkin' touch pad!!

I bought a mouse to use instead, but as I usually have the machine on my knee, the mouse is not much good.

Maybe if we're all having problems, it's NOT OUR FAULT:D :D :D

4. IT_man

IT_man Registered User

Dec 10, 2006
    London
    Try pressing the Insert key

Try pressing the Insert key when this happens - there are two "insert" modes - one inserts the other overwrites.

cheers

Phil

5. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Thanks, Phil. I didn't know that, I'll try it next time.

6. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thanks Phil, I didn`t even know there WAS an insert key. :eek:

7. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hi Phil,

Thanks for the tip about the insert key, it worked :)

8. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    I think my problem is that on the laptop the insert key is very close to delete, so tends to get hit by accident. But now I'm aware of it..........:) :) :)

9. alfjess

alfjess Registered User

Jul 10, 2006
    south lanarkshire
    Hi Phil

Really sorry to be so ignorant, but what and where is the insert key?

I am glad I,m not the only one having the problem, maybe I,m not as daft as I thought:D On the other hand maybe I am, don't know about the insert key

Alfjess

10. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hi Alfjess,

As a newly initiated fan of the Insert key, I hope you won`t mind if I answer if Phil isn`t online.

The Insert key is the top left hand key, in the group of 6 keys, above the arrows.

Hope you find it.

11. IT_man

IT_man Registered User

Dec 10, 2006
    London
    I wish it was so simple

The exact poisiton of the Insert key varies - especially on laptops. However its usually above the Delete Key and close to the Home and End keys. They all tend to be in the top right corner of the keyboard - ie above and left of the Enter Key.

cheers

Phil

12. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    On my laptop it's on the bottom row, between space bar and delete. Very easy to hit by accident!

13. alfjess

alfjess Registered User

Jul 10, 2006
    south lanarkshire
    Thanks everyone,

I've found it! Above the delete key.

I was probably to tired to see it last night, that'a my excuse anyway!!

Alfjess

14. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    #14 Grannie G, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
    Oh sorry Phil.

What is it about `a little knowledge being a dangerous thing`. :eek:

Whilst I`m disclosing my ignorance, does anyone know what the Home and End keys are for. Sound as if they are self explanatory, but self explanatory what?

15. noelphobic

noelphobic Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    If I am in a word document and want to go back to the beginning the 'Home' key takes me there. I think the 'End' key takes you to the end of the document - or is it the end of the line?

16. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thanks Brenda. Will try it one day.:)

Not only can we learn about dementia on this site, we can attend a computer course too. :cool:

17. noelphobic

noelphobic Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    actually, just tried it out on a Word document. Ctrl and Home will take you to the beginning of the document, Ctrl and End will take you to the end of the document. I can only remember these things properly when I am actually doing them! The Ctrl key is on the bottom left of the keyboard.

End on its own will take you to the end of the line you are on, Home on its own will take you to the beginning of the line. Works on TP posts also :D

18. Áine

Áine Registered User

And just to complete the picture ........ if you're on a web page ...... "home" will take you to the top of the page, and "end" to the bottom ......without all the scrolling around.

19. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thanks Áine, the scrolling is a pain.

20. IT_man

IT_man Registered User

Dec 10, 2006
    London
    shift + home

If you want to select - hold down shift + end - selects the whole doc / spreadsheet etc.

Well worth checking out the keyboard short cuts as they are much quicker than using the mouse a lot of the time. - F1 for help in the app and then do a search on Keyboard Shortcuts

My personal fav of all time ( obscure but useful ) SHIFT + F3 in Word - cycles through the different choices on capitilization.