computer program to help someone with alzheimer's

goodfriend

Nov 7, 2015
my friend wants to be able to access the Internet to send emails, make attachments and search the Net. Has anyone found a computer program such as the new one on Windows 10 (cortona) that is successful?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I would not advise trying to use Cortana or anything similar.

Has the person got a computer?

You could set them up with the same browser and method of sending emails that you use and then give them some hands on teaching of what to do, this means that you will always be able to help them.

Depending on how advanced your friend's dementia is , the above may prove impossible, the friend may also loose newly learned skills very quickly.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My mother had a computer. I helped her to make a manual to it. With baby steps.

Advice: take a picture of monitor frequently and use setup to not allow changing desktop without password. My mother sometimes moved some icons and then complained that it was broken.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Played around with eldy on a DVD using Ubuntu.
It works OK, effectively giving the user a portable system.

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
Played around with eldy on a DVD using Ubuntu.
It works OK, effectively giving the user a portable system.

In theory this could be a good choice, but I had a look at the Eldy web site, and it seems there has not been much activity since 2012. Windows 7 is the most recent operating system listed and the Android version of Eldy does not appear in the Google Play store as far as I can tell. It looks like the Italian government funding stopped in 2012 and nothing has been updated since then. As the default email system is hosted by eldy.org, I do wonder how long you could rely on it.

The similar SimplicITy Computer and Simplicity USB Homekey also seem to be discontinued, so I guess they were not commercially successful.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moniqueishere