1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

computer program to help someone with alzheimer's

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by goodfriend, Nov 7, 2015.

1. goodfriend

goodfriend Registered User

Nov 7, 2015
    my friend wants to be able to access the Internet to send emails, make attachments and search the Net. Has anyone found a computer program such as the new one on Windows 10 (cortona) that is successful?

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    I would not advise trying to use Cortana or anything similar.

Has the person got a computer?

You could set them up with the same browser and method of sending emails that you use and then give them some hands on teaching of what to do, this means that you will always be able to help them.

Depending on how advanced your friend's dementia is , the above may prove impossible, the friend may also loose newly learned skills very quickly.

3. BR_ANA

BR_ANA Registered User

Jun 27, 2012
    Brazil
    My mother had a computer. I helped her to make a manual to it. With baby steps.

Advice: take a picture of monitor frequently and use setup to not allow changing desktop without password. My mother sometimes moved some icons and then complained that it was broken.

4. CeliaW

CeliaW Registered User

Jan 29, 2009
    Hampshire
  5. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Played around with eldy on a DVD using Ubuntu.
    It works OK, effectively giving the user a portable system.

6. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    I read this line, nitram, and thought "What would my Mum have made of that?"
    Then it struck me that it's Greek to me, too.
    Gulp......

7. mrjelly

mrjelly Registered User

Jul 23, 2012
    West Sussex
    In theory this could be a good choice, but I had a look at the Eldy web site, and it seems there has not been much activity since 2012. Windows 7 is the most recent operating system listed and the Android version of Eldy does not appear in the Google Play store as far as I can tell. It looks like the Italian government funding stopped in 2012 and nothing has been updated since then. As the default email system is hosted by eldy.org, I do wonder how long you could rely on it.

The similar SimplicITy Computer and Simplicity USB Homekey also seem to be discontinued, so I guess they were not commercially successful.