Computer help needed

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I seem to have something running in the background for ages on start up. I am on XP have checked task manager but nothing showing there. Scans ok no virus. Have defragged and done disk cleanup and don't really know how to do anything else.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m on XP and have been having problems too Linda but have been having no problems with Windows7 on my lap top.

Does an Error Reporting alert keep coming on the screen? It does for me. I then got an alert saying Windows have solved a big problem, so am living in hope. :rolleyes:

I have threatened to throw the whole thing through the window. Pun untended. :mad:

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
No error reports just I can hear it working hard in the background for about 10mins on start up then it clears!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Is it worth reporting this to Microsoft?

When you do that there is usually a link to Q and A - then sometimes you can find a solution.

Just a thought.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Thanks BeckJan.

I am closing down now but will check in the morning for any other posts.

I suppose I will have to give in and buy a laptop so at least have a backup! ;)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thats what I did but the other way round - my laptop was playing up so I bought a desktop to be there when needed. Surprisingly I do use both!

Hope it is sorted soon.

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hiya

defragging will only move files around - not remove them properly.

try running a clean up programme - I use CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner. (it's free)

Do an analysis, and a registry clean-up, then go to the tools menu - from there, click on the 'startup' button, and you can see what is running at start up (and you can then remove it)

The install/uninstall feature also really cleans all the registry when you uninstall programmes.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Thank you Ella I do use C Cleaner but had not used the registry one or the tools option. I think it could be Adobe that is the problem so am trying that. On the registry it says do I want to back up so have said Yes as I am so clueless.

Thank you so much

Last edited:

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Linda, when my PC was very slow I was told to download Malaware Bites (free software) and Hijack This (again free). These programmes often pick up things that my anti virus software doesn't.

Turbo

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Linda:
I am wondering if you have solved your pc yet?

When a friend had a similar situation she had loads of techn. folk download stuff, clean up etc. - it was still slow.

I suggested she put her numerous photos onto discs or a memory stick - she did and problem solved :D:D:D

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
No still not solved although after 30 mins or so back to full speed will try your other suggestions now....thank you!

geum123

May 20, 2009
Hi Linda,
I run xp and on start up AVG runs checking for viruses.

The computer does seem to run slower while this is operating especially if I am opening up other programs.
Not sure if that is of any help to you, especially coming from a technophobe like me. :eek:

Regards,
Geum.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
That's a good suggestion, Geum.

What virus protection do you use Linda? I used to use Norton, and that really slowed my machine. I've changed to ESET, and the difference is amazing.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Hazel I use AVG and following Ella's suggestions it is much better. :) I never knew about the registry bit! ;)

I am also going to follow Becky Jan's tip on moving all my photos.