Complex Dementia - Improvements seen on Quitiapine

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
For those of you who were or are in a similar situation to us, my Dad is 61 and in a Nursing home (due to multiple sectioning last year) with complex dementia including All and FTD. He has been unable to tolerate any drug he's been given including; Respiradone, Memantine, Donepezil, Trazadone to name a few. He has been maintained on mainly Lorazepam and Sodium Valporate (mood stabiliser) for some time now but after another decline and him becoming even more aggressive and agitated, along with hitting out during personal care we were asked for our permission to try him on Quitiapine which is unlicensed for Dementia.

We have seen a real change in him, he can still be aggressive and agitated and he still wanders a lot, but its now enabled to Carers to bath him and do his personal care without restraining him and they have also managed to get him wet shaving for the first time in 2 years.

Its made a change that we didn't think was possible and for how long, I don't know but we are grateful at the moment because the Nursing Home are on lockdown so we couldn't go in anymore to do his personal care. They sent us some photos from last week too and he looks like he has gone back 2 years which has been hugely significant for him and us.

Anyway, just sharing my experience to see if it could help anyone else.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Lovely news for everyone @Abbey82 I hope the improvement continues for your dad's sake, for your peace of mind and to help the staff