Complaints?

Louise.D

Apr 13, 2007
Essex
Today I have written a letter of complaint to my mothers care home concerning the quality of care she is receiving.

Has anyone had cause to complain in writing? If so what sort of things have you complained about. Has anyone complained to CSCI? If so, what sort of response did you get. How did your complaint change the care homes policies and procedures?

Do you think that CSCI regulations are followed or are the guidelines just a worthless document?

I have contacted my MP not just about my mother but about the plight of hundreds of elderly people who are in care homes who suffer the same neglect and suffering.

Responses would be appreciated. I intend to direct my MP to this thread.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Louise.

I made a complaint to Social Services over 10 years ago, about my mother`s care home. I do not think the CSCI was operating then, or if it was I didn`t know about it.

The home was spot inspected after my complaint and SS did take on board the issues I complained about. The home resented my complaint but there were so many staff changes before and after, there was no one left I could relate to. I didn`t know any of them, but they all seemed to know me. :rolleyes:

I removed my mother eventually, but it took a while to get SS to act, even though she was self funding.

Well done on taking a stand. I wish you every success.

Love xx

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

I have been reading the care commission reports.

Can anyone tell me what RSA means? High care,low care etc? means?

Is reported high care good or bad.

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I haven't had time to investigate these questions. Maybe someone on TP provide a shortcut??

Thanks ALFJESS

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Louise.the one thing you hold on to is CSCI.Any complaints that you feel are undealt with or any complaints the home do not change.Get on to CSCI.this comes from a care worker,
love elainsx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Louise,
I was told that I desperately needed Peter to go for a respite break for the benefit of my disability. At the time Peter was receiving Direct Payments, and I was told you choose the best place you want and use D.P. money. Then the problems started. Spoke to what was suppose to be a C.H. that catered for the under 65's. So after agreeing with the Manager, I had done all the usual checks.
When Peter and his then Carer came with me, as soon as I walked in and saw the ages of the other residents. Peter was facing what he would be in at a latter stage. I had phone calls from the Monday up unto the Saturday because Peter was upset. Late on that Saturday night I had already taken my sleeping pills and this C.H. was approx 6 minutes away. I could not sleep all night. Come Sunday morning, I informed them to have his things ready for me to collect him withing the hour. The Staff Nurse said, the Manager should never have told you this was right for Peter. So I sent the relevant letters of complaints. I had collected him 3 days early. The bill came in for the full time, gave it to the complete and useless S.W. Crossed that one of off the C.H. Lists that I had been keeping. Manager has since left. But word of mouth is more powerful than the pen, especially when attending Carers' Groups.
I wish you the very best. Christine

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Dear Louise,

I have written in other threads about care homes and my experiences of writing to the CSCI. This might be of interest to you. I think you enter my user name (TinaT) in the search engine at the top of the page and this will give you access to the threads I have started. Hope one of the moderators will correct me if I'm wrong on this xx TinaT

[moderator note from Brucie: new tutorial added that covers this: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkin...ocuments_info.php?categoryID=6&documentID=91]

Last edited by a moderator:

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Louise,

As I don't live in the UK this is probably not relevant to you. I have complained about issues concerning personal care and lack of care concerning medical issues. Here in Australia when a written complaint is forwarded to a care facility the onus is on them to reply in writing. My reply contained a whole lot of buck passing and assurance that things would improve. I have found most of what's said is just filler- bustering.

I would like to wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope that your efforts are rewarded. Regards Taffy.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I complained to CSCI about the first home my mum was in. The complaints process took months and I did not accept their first 'conclusion' so it was passed to a higher level to be re-investigated. The home's next routine CSCI report said there had been 2 recent complaints but that they had not been upheld, which I do not really think was correct. I certainly did not consider my complaint to be unsubstantiated. The home was told to review its first aid training for staff in light of my mother's case so I do not see how they can say the complaint was not upheld when the home was ordered to change its procedures as a result of said complaint.

I also found out at the same time, from reading previous CSCI reports, that an unannounced inspection had taken place a few months previously very early in the morning. This was in response to a complaint which I think was anonymous (and because of its nature highly likely to be from a member or ex member of staff). The complaint was that residents were being roused from their beds extremely early in the morning because this suited the home and staffs' routine! When the inspectors arrived at around 6am they found quite a few residents were out of bed and the ones who could communicate (this was an EMI home) indicated this was not through choice! My mother had been a resident at this time and I only found out about this through chance, so there is obviously no process in place to inform relatives when bad practice is proved to be occurring!

Some of the comments in the letters I got from CSCI more or less indicated to me that they did not have much power so I should not expect too much from them. I was disappointed at the outcome but would do the same again and would encourage anyone to do so. It was easier for me than for some, as my mother had already left the home when I made the complaint. Had she still been there it would have been harder to decide whether to go ahead with it or not.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Dear Louise,

I have written in other threads about care homes and my experiences of writing to the CSCI. This might be of interest to you. I think you enter my user name (TinaT) in the search engine at the top of the page and this will give you access to the threads I have started. Hope one of the moderators will correct me if I'm wrong on this xx TinaT

You can also click on the user name and this will show a dropdown menu. You can then click on a link that says 'find all posts by TinaT'.

Last edited:

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
dear noelphobic,I do agre with most of your post,But being a carer in a home have different views.If my night staff attend to a resident in the night they encourage them to go back to bed.If a resident requests to get up,they again make the resident aware of the time.Many a time i turn in for work and i have residents telling me they were up early,no disrespect intended but A/Z residents may not be aware of what they have said.residents progress is always recorded in my home.
love elainex

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
dear noelphobic,I do agre with most of your post,But being a carer in a home have different views.If my night staff attend to a resident in the night they encourage them to go back to bed.If a resident requests to get up,they again make the resident aware of the time.Many a time i turn in for work and i have residents telling me they were up early,no disrespect intended but A/Z residents may not be aware of what they have said.residents progress is always recorded in my home.
love elainex

I understand the points you are making Elaine and can see how this can happen, especially with residents with dementia. However, in this case, I believe the complaint was upheld. It wasn't a case of finding one resident out of bed - several residents were up and dressed. Also, from my dealings with CSCI (for the same area) I believe it would take a lot for them to uphold a complaint. The very nature of the complaint and the fact that it was anonymous strongly suggests to me that it was likely to have been originated by a member or ex member of staff. After all, most of the residents would have been incapable of complaining and I can't imagine there would have been many visitors in the early hours of the morning to see what was going on!

I know that residents with dementia may get themselves out of bed at ungodly hours but this was not the case at this particular home. I can't give you any further information without naming the home in question and pointing you in the direction of the relevant CSCI report, which would obviously be wrong for me to do on here!

Louise.D

Apr 13, 2007
Essex
Thank you

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I am interested in your comments. I am prepared for a fight as I will not stand by and see my mother abused and neglected. This is not the first time I've complained. This was upheld verbally, but in writing they fobbed me off. This time I'm going to hold them fully responsible and will not let it go until admit in writing they caused my mum harm by neglect caused by lack of staff.

I noted your comments about RSA, I don't know what that is. I know my mother has been assessed for nursing care and ironically does not qualify (She has late stages and most of the time cannot communicate or move) I have been told that as there is no medical intervention for her as her condition is so bad she does not and will never qualify. I mentioned to the GP about NHS continuing care but he just fobbed me off and said 'So, you want to put your mother in a mental home then?' Next week I'm going to write to him.

It seems that nearly everyone I speak to has cause to complain about their relatives care, when I first started reading the Daily Mail articles I was horrified and thought that those cases were rare. One of my mothers care workers agreed with one Daily Mail article. In her opinion they were too busy to give residents five mins talk time per day. They were also unaware of the CSCI standards and regulations and when they asked their management to view it they refused.

It seems that all the care homes (in my area anyway) are privately run organisations, and whilst I agree that they have to make a profit, it should not be at the cost of the resident. Most residents are paying alot of money for their care and quite frankly what is provided is poor. On my mothers unit they need another carer and all this would cost is £88.32 per day for 1 carer working a 16 hour shift. Surely they can afford this out of their weekly £19500 per week takings.

Alot of relatives do not like to complain, I've met a few and whilst I have encouraged and offered to help them they have refused as they don't want to cause 'trouble'. The residents don't like to complain as they feel they are being a burden to the carers. One man in my mums home was refused a cup of tea as 'Is was not time'. When I mentioned that this was against CSCI regulations they looked at me blankly. I made him a cup, he asked me, I could not refuse, he's 90 and quite frankly when your that age your entitled to have tea at anytime you like!!!

Well the bomshell of a letter is going to hit them Monday morning. I'll keep you posted.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I admire your determination Louise. I know from experience that it is very easy to be deterred by the obstacles put in your way when you are going through this process. Good luck and keep us informed.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Louise - don't worry about RSA. Alfjess asked a question and I answered it, but it is as far as I'm aware an exclusively scottish thing.

I can't see why your mother wouldn't be elgible for some level of RNCC - after all if she's immobile there are tissue viability issues to be addressed at the very least. If they did an assessment, you should have received a copy of the rubric they use. I would be filing a complaint about that doctor as well - how dare he?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Louise.

You are applying your justified anger in a most positive manner. It`s a disgrace you are in this position in the first place but I wish you success.

Love xx

Louise.D

Apr 13, 2007
Essex
Jenifer,

My mothers bedsores are so bad she has the district nurse daily, she has a bed that circulates with air. She is in a terrible state. The district nurse tells me this is to be expected as it's her body shutting down. I don't think is it and that these sores have developed through lack of care (quite often she smells). The last straw was I found her in bed with the airbed deflated, so, she was basically laying on hard ridges of plastic. The care team manager lost the plot with the phillipino carer who had no idea that the matress was to be inflated. Neglect through lack of staff training as well as being short staffed

She had also rubbed a hole in her foot against one of the hard ridges. When I arrived it was bleeding and they had wrapped her foot in a towel. They have failed to protect her from self harm.

You and many others may ask why I don't move, her. She simply would not survive the move.

suptowngirl

Sep 19, 2005
Staffordshire
Hi Louise and all that have posted,
My mom passed away on 31st October. The cause of death was Septicemia (AD was not mentioned at all) caused by the BED SORES she contracted when she was in hospital after breaking her hip in the care home she was in. She got up in the night wandering about when there were no staff around and she fell, she lay there until someone found her.

After her surgery she was scared to walk and they gave up on her after a couple of days. Mom was on one of these so called special air mattresses and was not allowed to wear a pad as it was supposed to stop the mattress doing it's job.
She then started to develop a red patch on her back, just above her bottom, this was because she was left in a soiled bed for hours( mom was double incontinent). We were always complaining, not only about mom but other patients with dementia too as they were left to sit for hours in a chair when they had soiled themselves.
We eventually after six weeks found mom a new nursing home but after just 2 weeks she was confined to bed because the skin on the bed sore had broken.
When I first saw it, a golf ball would have got lost in there and the smell was awful.

When mom was admitted into hospital before she died, the tests showed Septicemia and the sore was then the size of a tennis ball.
She also had Pneumonia and a water infection but the main cause was Septicemia.
There were lots of problems in the hospital and Assessment hospital too.
My mom suffered so much at the hands of different people but no-one really has time for the elderly with dementia.
My mom is at peace now but it hurts so much to think about everything she went through.
If anyone wants to read my story as it connects with a lot of what has been said here, look at my other postings and threads.
I wish you all love and I hope your loved ones are treated with care.
Sheila

Last edited: